Edler's Trade Value

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Edler's Trade Value

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:54 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:39 am Free up the left side for who ?

Other than Edler all the left side d men suck shit. Juolevi is 19 and has been underwhelming at best. Skyo you go on like there is this tremendous depth on the left side. There isn’t. It’s as bad as the right side. I like the term people keep use “logjam”. More like a bunch of logs of shit.

He has a ntc and hasn’t seemed keen on waving it in the past. Re-up him next summer for a hometown discount. The team has two legit top 4 d man and a gaggle of 6/7/8 guys. Ditch Edler and watch the endless Chinese fire drill.
lets be clear, we aren't not talking about "if" we trade Edler, this is the driver of the TAERFN bus.. we are discussing his value.

What's he worth?
More to us right now than to another team.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Mëds wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Other than Edler all the left side d men suck shit. Juolevi is 19 and has been underwhelming at best. Skyo you go on like there is this tremendous depth on the left side. There isn’t. It’s as bad as the right side. I like the term people keep use “logjam”. More like a bunch of logs of shit.

He has a ntc and hasn’t seemed keen on waving it in the past. Re-up him next summer for a hometown discount. The team has two legit top 4 d man and a gaggle of 6/7/8 guys. Ditch Edler and watch the endless Chinese fire drill.
lets be clear, we aren't not talking about "if" we trade Edler, this is the driver of the TAERFN bus.. we are discussing his value.

What's he worth?
How do you figure?? By the time we are competing for a playoff spot, he will be well past his prime, And only worth a bag of pucks. Would it not make more sense to trade him now for picks/prospects an speed the rebuild?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:02 pm

What's he worth?
How do you figure?? By the time we are competing for a playoff spot, he will be well past his prime, And only worth a bag of pucks. Would it not make more sense to trade him now for picks/prospects an speed the rebuild?
The smart move in a rebuild would be to move Edler this offseason while his value is pretty high.

I can see why people want to keep him, but if we are going to have another similar season next year, I don't see the point in keeping him while we suffer another year or two in the rebuild process.

The assets acquired by dealing Edler this offseason would help expedite the rebuild much quicker! Granted it'll be another Kesler scenario in that JB probably can only deal with one or two teams, but still he should net a couple good pieces (pick(s) & a good D prospect).
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

In that case bully Sutter and Eriksson to Robidas Island or out of town too and trade Tanev. Free up a shitpile of cap space and rebuild the D through free agency or trades. Sutter and Eilsson are overpaid 3rd liners whose contributions can filled by younger, cheaper players.

I just think Edler is a lot better bang for the buck than Sutter or Eriksson and good d men are hard to find. Thing is Benning doesn’t have the balls to take a blow torch to this team. He is scared to trade Baertschi for fuck sakes.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:02 pm

What's he worth?
At the game last night the only pairing we had that wasn’t a complete disaster was Edler and Guds. If our 6 blueliners had all been at the level of those other 4 guys the score would have been 8-5 for the bad guys.

As much as I’m a proponent of trading Edler, since he’s been paired with Guds I have to say that without having a top 2 who are at least at the level of that duo, this team would likely be lucky to be in the double digits for wins and then we’re developing like the Oilers.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

I can't imagine how losing Edler would make things that much worse for a blueline on a 28th-place team. In this respect, the team gains more from what it can get back for him in trade than what it would lose in terms of what he brings to the team. They still would have Tanev. Benning can sign another mid-level UFA dman placeholder afterwards and will the blueline really be that much worse off?

If he can net a 1st rounder and a good prospect for Edler, "Giv'er, Jim," says I.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:43 am Thing is 6 of the 8 characters on this current blue line would be no better than a 6th d man on most of the teams and some of them would be 9 or 10 on some teams depth charts. It’s the worst d corps in the league.
Exaggerate much Bloberto? :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Lancer wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:00 pm I can't imagine how losing Edler would make things that much worse for a blueline on a 28th-place team. In this respect, the team gains more from what it can get back for him in trade than what it would lose in terms of what he brings to the team. They still would have Tanev. Benning can sign another mid-level UFA dman placeholder afterwards and will the blueline really be that much worse off?

If he can net a 1st rounder and a good prospect for Edler, "Giv'er, Jim," says I.
Great post, tell him what he won Vanna
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:29 pm Great post, tell him what he won Vanna
Easy there, I don't think The Blob has given you permission to disagree with him...
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

How can you guys POSSIBLY suggest trading Edler... the guy is a life long Canuck... and he has a FAMILY with young children! It's the only franchise he's ever known and he's probably going into the Ring of Honour. He has a NMC!!!! Suggesting he be traded for the good of the franchise to get assets back and help the rebuild, for SHAME! ;)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

won't someone please think of the children!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm won't someone please think of the children!
:lol:

Sad when a player wants to stay because he is comfortable.

This is why he has no drive, no balls, limited hits, not at all the type of player you really want on your top pairing.

I understand his concern about the kids, wife etc., but he is a hockey player and they know that trades are part of the job. Time to suck it up buttercup. Management wont do anything because they want Vancouver to be a cozy place for players to play (insert puking Smiley Emo)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Front load his contract so he can buy a house......

Reality is, Edler's value has been diminishing for years. he's in hamhuis territory next year.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 pm I understand his concern about the kids, wife etc., but he is a hockey player and they know that trades are part of the job. Time to suck it up buttercup.
Trades aren't part of the job when you have a No Trade Clause. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:13 pm Front load his contract so he can buy a house......

Reality is, Edler's value has been diminishing for years. he's in hamhuis territory next year.
Sad reality is that other than Tanev and Edler, none of the defencemen on the roster really have any value. I mean you might get a 4th or 5th for Gudbranson with that contract and a 6th for any of the others but a signed 36 year old Hamhuis might still get a 3rd. Maybe I should re consider. It might be wise to trade both Tanev and Edler while they still have value. I mean you can’t get any worse than the the leagues worst defence so there’s that.:.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”