Erik Karlsson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Erik Karlsson

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This deserves its own thread. He is still a top 5 d man in the league and he obviously wants to get the fuck away from Melnyk and the Sens.

Would Tanev, Juolevi and 2018 1st get talks started ? Throw in Gagner to shed more salary. It would have to be dependant on EK agreeing to an extension.

As an asside I don’t make that deal if we have the first overall pick.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Erik Karlsson

Post by Topper »

Bubbles, trading away more picks.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

He’s 28 though blob, he would be 31/32 by the time we make noise .... I guess with Dmen that still works but it seems alot
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:10 pm Bubbles, trading away more picks.
So you think trading a pick for an elite player is similar to trading high picks for 3rd line players, bottom pairing d men or Mommy’s Boys playing on a scab Canadian Olympic team ?

Nice to see you offer an opinion
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm He’s 28 though blob, he would be 31/32 by the time we make noise .... I guess with Dmen that still works but it seems alot
I’m not saying we should do it but I’d sure look hard at it. He’s a top 3 d msn in the world and a top 10 player easily. I think he’s got seven or eight great years left.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rats19 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm He’s 28 though blob, he would be 31/32 by the time we make noise .... I guess with Dmen that still works but it seems alot
He's still under contract next season, so that means if we made the trade at the draft we could sign him for 8 years, and there is no way he accepts less than the maximum term. So 8 years kicking in when he's 29 and we are shelling out at least $9M for a defenseman and needing him to play at that level until he is 37. Karlsson makes sense for a team like Tampa, still young but serious contenders.

There is also the fact that he is having a very down year after surgery on his ankle. He's still light years better than anything we have, but he isn't dominating like he did.....granted, the Senators are a Chinese fire drill right now.

Anyways, I'd take a big old pass on him at this point.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:47 pm This deserves its own thread. He is still a top 5 d man in the league and he obviously wants to get the fuck away from Melnyk and the Sens.

Would Tanev, Juolevi and 2018 1st get talks started ? Throw in Gagner to shed more salary. It would have to be dependant on EK agreeing to an extension.

As an asside I don’t make that deal if we have the first overall pick.
I think that's an aweful risky move. It's a few more years before we are potential contenders, and Karlson will be 30+.. he already lost the top gear he had with that last injury last year, and nothing I have seen says he is getting over it.

we don't know what we have in Joulevi and if JB trades a first rounder, he woul,get crucified in the media.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd rather target OEL tbh, especially if AZ wins the lotto, as Dahlin can take his spot.

Karlsson will be 28 in May, while OEL will be 27 in July so he'll have 5 seasons of NHL prime-time hockey till he reaches 31 years of age when dmen typically start to lose their "powers", Karlsson has 4 seasons left till he's 31 & has ankle probs.

OEL will be the more affordable one to re-sign to an extension as well, while Karlsson and Doughty sound like they want PK Subban money or more.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Why not just use the Swedish mafia to tamper tease him into signing as a UFA.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:53 pm Why not just use the Swedish mafia to tamper tease him into signing as a UFA.
Honestly I don't think it is worth burning assets on a trade for him for just that reason.

I don't think Ottawa has a snowball's chance in hell of signing Karlsson at this point, and who can blame him for wanting out now.

Let him hit free agency and then go after him there. If they have pissed him off badly enough he might refuse to give the nod on a sign and trade or pre-arranged extension.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Wrong kind of player for a roster that is years away from competing hard. He's the kind of guy a team like Columbus or Washington would go for - teams that are either close to contending or close to not being able to contend anymore and will break the bank for that piece while they have a chance. Vancouver is not either one of them.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:53 pm Wrong kind of player for a roster that is years away from competing hard. He's the kind of guy a team like Columbus or Washington would go for - teams that are either close to contending or close to not being able to contend anymore and will break the bank for that piece while they have a chance. Vancouver is not either one of them.
Actually, I think he’s the perfect player to target. A minute-eating, point producing, game changing defenseman to stabalize (and really transform) the back end, at a time when we appear to have dynamic and talented forwards coming online. By the time we draft/develop our own Karlsson, guys like Horvat and or Boeser could be a year or two away from UFA.

Surr, a guy like Tyson Barrie might make more sense age-wise, but Karlsson (like Doughty) is one of the best players in the NHL.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This all could have been avoided had Gilis drafted Erik Karlsson instead of Cody Hodgson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:40 am This all could have been avoided had Gilis drafted Erik Karlsson instead of Cody Hodgson
Ouch.

Mind you, Jagr instead of Nedved would have been an interesting twist, too. No point going down this path...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

But then we couldn't have drafted Kopitar.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.