Erik Karlsson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Erik Karlsson

Post by Chef Boi RD »

And to think the Norris Trophy D-man was right there for the taking in the 2010 draft. Him or Tyler Myers, but no, we got Stumpy then Party Central - Kassian while the team just lost Bourdon a month earlier and boasted a 23 year old Kesler and a 27 year old Hank, remember daddy Hodgson calls to Gillis demanding his son not to be parked behind Kes and Hank on the 3rd line? Oh the calamity picking stumpy has caused this organization, almost as bad as the Buyout Ballard trade
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 amFor me I’d have zero problem giving up Tanev, Juolevi, a 2018 1st (as long as it isn’t 1st overall) and either Gagner/Sutter/Eriksson to balance the money a bit better. But I think Esq is right in that the Sens would want one of Horvat, Pettersson or Boeser in there. To me those are the three top assets in the organization followed by the upcoming draft pick and probably Tanev and Juolevi in that order. In effect with my proposition we would be giving them our 4th, 5th and 6th best pieces and a cap dump. I doubt it would be enough.
Karlsson would not move the needle on this team enough even in the short term to justify even the price you would be willing to pay for him. Best case scenario, the team squeaks into the playoffs and we have a reprise of the 2015 playoffs. I don't see the team having the goaltending to go farther than one round. Do we want a reprise of the 2015 playoffs? What has that season done for the re-development of the roster since then?

Even with the package you would offer, you're essentially betting/hoping/praying that the team can draft enough quality/quantity on defence in the meantime to replace what Karlsson offers and will offer. Given his age and the inevitable decline as his skating legs go, I would give Vancouver 3 years before he becomes nothing more than a skinnier Edler and this artificial bump in the development of the roster ends and the organization goes back to not much farther than it was before such a trade - barring some miraculous revelation late-draft gem in the meantime. Benning got good/lucky once with Boeser. Ya think it's a bit much to ask lightning to strike twice in the same square inch? Not impossible, but those are extremely risky odds when balancing the cost of a potential Karlsson acquisition.

Regardless of price, Karlsson is not the answer for this club. Wrong age/type of player for a roster at this stage of development.

Benning and his scouts should be scouring for that 20-23 year-old Karlsson-to-be, or at least a A-/B-grade of him for a trade. Price would be high, but no higher than what you describe. If you're going to go big, go with a kid who can grow at a pace with the new core of this club instead of a blueline version of the Twins.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:04 am And to think the Norris Trophy D-man was right there for the taking in the 2010 draft. Him or Tyler Myers, but no, we got Stumpy then Party Central - Kassian while the team just lost Bourdon a month earlier and boasted a 23 year old Kesler and a 27 year old Hank, remember daddy Hodgson calls to Gillis demanding his son not to be parked behind Kes and Hank on the 3rd line? Oh the calamity picking stumpy has caused this organization, almost as bad as the Buyout Ballard trade
Every team has their "what coulda been" stories from the draft. We just don't have enough of those "what was everybody else thinking who picked before Vancouver" kind of stories. Only Boeser and Kesler come to mind and there's only one piece of hardware either of them have won. Too early to tell with Boeser but he doesn't scream Hart Trophy yet.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:04 am And to think the Norris Trophy D-man was right there for the taking in the 2010 draft. Him or Tyler Myers, but no, we got Stumpy then Party Central - Kassian while the team just lost Bourdon a month earlier and boasted a 23 year old Kesler and a 27 year old Hank, remember daddy Hodgson calls to Gillis demanding his son not to be parked behind Kes and Hank on the 3rd line? Oh the calamity picking stumpy has caused this organization, almost as bad as the Buyout Ballard trade
Every team has their "what coulda been" stories from the draft. We just don't have enough of those "what was everybody else thinking who picked before Vancouver" kind of stories. Only Boeser and Kesler come to mind and there's only one piece of hardware either of them have won. Too early to tell with Boeser but he doesn't scream Hart Trophy yet.
But Lancer, the only one that carries any weight with the dingbat Canuck fans is not drafting Kopitar. How about Gillis drafting Niklas Jensen at 29th overall, you know who went 30th right after Jensen? Rickard Rakell who right now has 25 goals and 26 assists.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lancer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:19 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 amFor me I’d have zero problem giving up Tanev, Juolevi, a 2018 1st (as long as it isn’t 1st overall) and either Gagner/Sutter/Eriksson to balance the money a bit better. But I think Esq is right in that the Sens would want one of Horvat, Pettersson or Boeser in there. To me those are the three top assets in the organization followed by the upcoming draft pick and probably Tanev and Juolevi in that order. In effect with my proposition we would be giving them our 4th, 5th and 6th best pieces and a cap dump. I doubt it would be enough.
Karlsson would not move the needle on this team enough even in the short term to justify even the price you would be willing to pay for him. Best case scenario, the team squeaks into the playoffs and we have a reprise of the 2015 playoffs. I don't see the team having the goaltending to go farther than one round. Do we want a reprise of the 2015 playoffs? What has that season done for the re-development of the roster since then?

Even with the package you would offer, you're essentially betting/hoping/praying that the team can draft enough quality/quantity on defence in the meantime to replace what Karlsson offers and will offer. Given his age and the inevitable decline as his skating legs go, I would give Vancouver 3 years before he becomes nothing more than a skinnier Edler and this artificial bump in the development of the roster ends and the organization goes back to not much farther than it was before such a trade - barring some miraculous revelation late-draft gem in the meantime. Benning got good/lucky once with Boeser. Ya think it's a bit much to ask lightning to strike twice in the same square inch? Not impossible, but those are extremely risky odds when balancing the cost of a potential Karlsson acquisition.

Regardless of price, Karlsson is not the answer for this club. Wrong age/type of player for a roster at this stage of development.

Benning and his scouts should be scouring for that 20-23 year-old Karlsson-to-be, or at least a A-/B-grade of him for a trade. Price would be high, but no higher than what you describe. If you're going to go big, go with a kid who can grow at a pace with the new core of this club instead of a blueline version of the Twins.
Good points Lancer. I’m just tired of Elmer picking the bare minimum of draft picks and constantly signing untradable garbage in the summer. Why not try and hit a home run when they are still 3-5 years away from playoffs and look poised to waste a decent chunk of Bo Horvats and Brock Boesers prime. To me this is year 5 of a potential 10 year Oilers style rebuild minus the top picks. Hopefully Horvat and Boeser aren’t our Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Impossible bubbles, regarding the Oilers 12 year long rebuild. Not when you have Petterson, Demko, Gaudette, Lind, Dahlen, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Lockwood, Chatfield, McEwen, 2018 1st and 2nd waiting in the wings supporting Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Stecher, Gaunce, Goldobin, Baertschi
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 amWhy not try and hit a home run when they are still 3-5 years away from playoffs and look poised to waste a decent chunk of Bo Horvats and Brock Boesers prime. To me this is year 5 of a potential 10 year Oilers style rebuild minus the top picks. Hopefully Horvat and Boeser aren’t our Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano.
Yeah, I hope Benning starts to feel pressure to make the most of Boeser's and Horvat's time in their 20s. This is where going after somebody like Hanifin, Ryan Murray or a Josh Morrissey would make more sense. They're closer to a polished product and I don't think the cost would be (while high) significantly less than going after Karlsson. In Winnipeg's and Columbus' case, they have stud dmen ahead of the ones I mentioned in the pecking order, so it's not like we're asking for a Trouba or a Werenski.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I believe the Jets will move Trouba before Morrissey because of the Winnipeg Economics. Morrissey is more affordable to them. But they are in trouble with all their young stud forwards. Connor will get close to Boeser money if he keeps it up. Gotta think they are moving out forwards first. They can't afford all of Wheeler, Scheiffle, Laine, Ehlers, Connor etc. Roslovic and others will help ease the burden of moving out a forward. Don't the Jets have a stud American D-man in their system? Trouba may move out for him
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:29 am But Lancer, the only one that carries any weight with the dingbat Canuck fans is not drafting Kopitar. How about Gillis drafting Niklas Jensen at 29th overall, you know who went 30th right after Jensen? Rickard Rakell who right now has 25 goals and 26 assists.
Oh, our team has a raft of them, many of whom have ben mentioned previously. I'm just glad that it appears that the front office's scouting capability has reached above average competency instead of the blind squirrels that used to work for the organization. Jury's still out, but the prospects look good.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 am I believe the Jets will move Trouba before Morrissey because of the Winnipeg Economics. Morrissey is more affordable to them. But they are in trouble with all their young stud forwards. Connor will get close to Boeser money if he keeps it up. Gotta think they are moving out forwards first. They can't afford all of Wheeler, Scheiffle, Laine, Ehlers, Connor etc. Roslovic and others will help ease the burden of moving out a forward. Don't the Jets have a stud American D-man in their system? Trouba may move out for him
The more success the Jets have, the more I hope Benning is looking at taking advantage. Like you said, they can't keep all of them - forwards or dmen. They could get rid of Byfuglien and ease the cap pressure some, but if Benning can pluck the likes of Trouba out of there for a decent cost these are the kinds of moves I would like to see him make.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 am I believe the Jets will move Trouba before Morrissey because of the Winnipeg Economics. Morrissey is more affordable to them. But they are in trouble with all their young stud forwards. Connor will get close to Boeser money if he keeps it up. Gotta think they are moving out forwards first. They can't afford all of Wheeler, Scheiffle, Laine, Ehlers, Connor etc. Roslovic and others will help ease the burden of moving out a forward. Don't the Jets have a stud American D-man in their system? Trouba may move out for him
Yeah I believe they have been trying to move Trouba for a top 4 LD for quite awhile iirc Krug was one target, so they probably try to get a younger fella LD who is cost controlled this offseason.

It's too bad Hutton didn't score 20 points at least this season like he did in his rookie year scoring 25 points (1g, 24a, 19:52TOI, 109 shots), but he's young (24) and is a 6'2 207lbs of canadian beef, most astute scouts/GM's from other teams can see that Green for whatever reason prefers his type of players on defense that play a more aggressive game, and he has a much different view on some players vs Willie Desjardins, so to conclude a change of scenery move should be really beneficial for Hutton who definitely has upside to be a top 4 dman if not a solid #5dman especially on a team that will give Hutton more confidence in play.

I think Willie had Hutton on the 2nd pairing with Tanev and they were a strong duo.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 am He will never get to UFA.
Truth. If he does get to UFA, I'd expect the bidding to get crazy, and he could end up being the highest-paid player in NHL.

Trading for him, the canucks would have exclusive negotiating rights, get to sic the Sedins on him to explain how awesome Van is for Swedes, and maybe get him for under $10 million.

But it will undoubtedly take a lot to get him, particularly if you want to include a bad contact given Melvyn's tight-fistedness.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 am He will never get to UFA. That was the whole point of the thread. Of course you’d rather not give up asssets for him, kind of a no brainer there. He will be dealt in the summer around the draft and a team would likely want an extension in place.

For me I’d have zero problem giving up Tanev, Juolevi, a 2018 1st (as long as it isn’t 1st overall) and either Gagner/Sutter/Eriksson to balance the money a bit better. But I think Esq is right in that the Sens would want one of Horvat, Pettersson or Boeser in there. To me those are the three top assets in the organization followed by the upcoming draft pick and probably Tanev and Juolevi in that order. In effect with my proposition we would be giving them our 4th, 5th and 6th best pieces and a cap dump. I doubt it would be enough.
Agreed. He will never make UFA. I would not make a trade that gutted our team to get him.. but I might consider moving an asset in trading for Karlsons rights for a couple days..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.