Erik Karlsson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Erik Karlsson

Post by SKYO »

Or picking PK Subban instead of Taylor Ellington in 2007
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:40 am This all could have been avoided had Gilis drafted Erik Karlsson instead of Cody Hodgson
Puck wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 am Mind you, Jagr instead of Nedved would have been an interesting twist, too. No point going down this path...
Topper wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 am But then we couldn't have drafted Kopitar.
SKYO wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:51 am Or picking PK Subban instead of Taylor Ellington in 2007
As the legend currently sits, Jagr wouldn't have been available had the Canucks drafted him.

Still, substitute Keith Primeau or Keith Tkachuk, and that's 4 alternate histories in which the Vancouver Canucks have very likely already won a Stanley Cup.

A poignant reminder as we head into the 2018 draft of exactly when Championships are won and lost.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I consider Karlsson probably the #1 trade target in the league. I think if the Canucks want a shot at him, they're going to have to offer their very-best assets - like a Boeser or Horvat, or Petersson.

Tanev might get a little extra value to Ottawa from a dollars and cents perspective, but I think you'd be more looking at an asking price of Tanev, Boeser (maybe Petersson) and a 2nd.

Karlsson is an intriguing target though, because he will almost single-handedly transform this team into a playoff bubble team at the very least. For any non-Swede, I'd be very wary of paying the necessary price to get him, but Swedes love this city for some reason so I'd be willing to pay the price.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:41 pm I consider Karlsson probably the #1 trade target in the league. I think if the Canucks want a shot at him, they're going to have to offer their very-best assets - like a Boeser or Horvat, or Petersson.
Which is exactly why we kick the tires if/when he hits UFA and not a second before.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

As we have seen in Ottawa, Karlsson is not capable of winning a Cup all on his own. Trading away our future for him is futile. He will have no one here to help him win a Cup.

A team like Tampa could sell the farm and still have a legit contender, a team Karlsson could go to and help win, or stay very competitive.

Pens are in the same boat. Their window closes when Crosby and Malkin are done but adding a Karlsson could carry them a long way still.

There are a number of teams that could sell the farm, get Karlsson, stay competitive. We are not one of them. For sure if he makes it to FA make a pitch, take your best shot. But trade for him by selling the future, not a chance.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

If Karlsson wants to win he won’t re-sign with Ottawa.

If he wants a fat paycheque and has all the drive of Edler he will re-up with the Sens and be in a playoff race every year until he retires.

Melnyk hasn’t wanted to open the vault for anyone so far. He will have to to keep Karlsson, and then he will be even tighter than before with everyone else.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:51 pm I think that's an aweful risky move. It's a few more years before we are potential contenders, and Karlson will be 30+.. he already lost the top gear he had with that last injury last year, and nothing I have seen says he is getting over it.
Yeah, no doubt a Karlsson caliber type guy on the backend is what we really need, but I'd pass because of that injury as well. His game is built around his skating and if he can't move like he did, I think it's going to hurt his game big time. Maybe if he was a UFA and we threw the big bucks @ him. :P
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd rather "sacrifice" a poster for some lotto luck for once, all this drama and rebuilding while not totally tanking like some teams, the Canucks just for one year need some luck...gotta believe in it, it's mathematically possible, just need those numbers to pop up & hope for the best.

But we are prepared for a not the best case scenario, to pick one of boqvist/bouchard.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 pm I'd rather "sacrifice" a poster for some lotto luck for once, all this drama and rebuilding while not totally tanking like some teams, the Canucks just for one year need some luck...gotta believe in it, it's mathematically possible, just need those numbers to pop up & hope for the best.

But we are prepared for a not the best case scenario, to pick one of boqvist/bouchard.
Or Tkachuk, Zadina or Svechnikov
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

SKYO wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 pm I'd rather "sacrifice" a poster for some lotto luck for once, all this drama and rebuilding while not totally tanking like some teams, the Canucks just for one year need some luck...gotta believe in it, it's mathematically possible, just need those numbers to pop up & hope for the best.

Didn't we sacrifice a poster last year? Or was it the year before?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:55 pm Didn't we sacrifice a poster last year? Or was it the year before?
We sacrificed a bunch of virgins last season, it was a very, very dark time...

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... =3&t=11046
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... =3&t=11049
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 91#p268791

... but I LOVED IT!!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

LOLOL Cornuck
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Last year's failure doesn't mean it won't work this year.

Maybe it requires a better effort.

Sacrifice more this time around.

Pray to the lottery gods.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:53 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:51 pm I think that's an aweful risky move. It's a few more years before we are potential contenders, and Karlson will be 30+.. he already lost the top gear he had with that last injury last year, and nothing I have seen says he is getting over it.
Yeah, no doubt a Karlsson caliber type guy on the backend is what we really need, but I'd pass because of that injury as well. His game is built around his skating and if he can't move like he did, I think it's going to hurt his game big time. Maybe if he was a UFA and we threw the big bucks @ him. :P
Oh, agreed there!! If him or Tavares (or any top tier UFA) actually makes it to UFA, of course you throw the dollars at them!! (And if there is only limited NTC, even better!!)

.... but like Wids said, we don't have the structure to send picks and prospects for him.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He will never get to UFA. That was the whole point of the thread. Of course you’d rather not give up asssets for him, kind of a no brainer there. He will be dealt in the summer around the draft and a team would likely want an extension in place.

For me I’d have zero problem giving up Tanev, Juolevi, a 2018 1st (as long as it isn’t 1st overall) and either Gagner/Sutter/Eriksson to balance the money a bit better. But I think Esq is right in that the Sens would want one of Horvat, Pettersson or Boeser in there. To me those are the three top assets in the organization followed by the upcoming draft pick and probably Tanev and Juolevi in that order. In effect with my proposition we would be giving them our 4th, 5th and 6th best pieces and a cap dump. I doubt it would be enough.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”