Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:59 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:52 pm Elmer probably got offered picks earlier, thought he could do better and bluffed himself off the stage....
When all else fails, make shit up

It is what you do best
I said he PROBABLY got offered picks. It’s funny company shill McIntyre said they could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson and that was ignored but now he says no picks were offered for Vanek and it’s gospel. Very interesting
And there's ANOTHER thing you made up: "could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson".

I called you out on that already.

Like I said, McIntyre said something like "Imagine if Benning was offered a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson... ".

He was theorizing, nothing more, but you CONTINUE to present it as something that actually happened.

Fucking agendas amirite...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 pm So for a UFA and a Dman who was never getting a sniff here, Jim got a cap dump and someone else's old 3rd and 4th round picks.

2 guys that cost us no assets for 2 potential assets (and a cap dump)...

Got assets and didn't give up anything but money spent last summer.
This is how I look at it.

Lipstick and Motte might play for Utica next season... but they're still free assets.

And both of these guys are potential perma-NHLers in the future.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:30 pm This deadline is nothing to rage about, and I haven't seen anyone that's actually super pissed off.
Lol Mëds must have Diehard on ignore…
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:16 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:59 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:52 pm Elmer probably got offered picks earlier, thought he could do better and bluffed himself off the stage....
When all else fails, make shit up

It is what you do best
I said he PROBABLY got offered picks. It’s funny company shill McIntyre said they could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson and that was ignored but now he says no picks were offered for Vanek and it’s gospel. Very interesting
And there's ANOTHER thing you made up: "could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson".

I called you out on that already.

Like I said, McIntyre said something like "Imagine if Benning was offered a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson... ".

He was theorizing, nothing more, but you CONTINUE to present it as something that actually happened.

Fucking agendas amirite...
I thought Lil Ian said that was the offer
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:37 pm I thought Lil Ian said that was the offer
I get it Blob, but that's not what happened brother...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I loved the Blues and Blackhawks big balls moves...

St. Louis moving UFA Stastny even though they are one win away from a playoff wild card spot - big ol' pair for that, not many teams would do that so close to the playoffs.

6'0 Ryan Hartman - Blackhawks scored on that one, a 1st for him? 19 goals last season, 8 goals this season, sure he plays gritty but man did Nashville overpay a bit with a precious 1st rounder. So all TG has to do is put gritty Leipsic on Horvat's line, get BL 20 goals next season than flip him. :idea:

But in the meantime when the Canucks can trade again during playoffs and to the draft, they should look to move any asset that doesn't have a full NTC/NMC.

NMC: Sedins, Eriksson.
NTC: Sutter, Edler.
M-NTC: Tanev (lists 8 teams he won't waive to).

Everyone else is game for picks or for an improvement somewhere on the team: Baertschi, Gagner, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldy, MDZ, Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot, Tanev, Nilsson.

Goals for the Canucks is:

1) Acquire more draft picks
2) Get a powerplay QB (right shot)
3) Power LW for top line.
4) Get cap space.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Lipstick is no Hartman

I also like what the Blues did, but I like it from the Jets point too. Good trade for both teams. Elmer needs to quit tying up all these guys with multi year deals and ntc. Time to trim the lard
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:30 pm This deadline is nothing to rage about, and I haven't seen anyone that's actually super pissed off.
Lol Mëds must have Diehard on ignore…
Nah, not super pissed off, just annoyed that these guys still don’t get it. This is entertainment, no need to get pissed off about it but I do like to call it as I see it.

At least Benning did seem to insinuate he’s open to getting picks and actually rebuilding now which hasn’t been the case to date - always competitive and playoffs. He didn’t mention that once in his press conference today.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 pm I’d be shocked if Ronning’s Ghost isn’t a Mod at the shithole
Be shocked. I only discovered that site existed when you posted about it recently.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 pm I’d be shocked if Ronning’s Ghost isn’t a Mod at the shithole
Be shocked. I only discovered that site existed when you posted about it recently.
Ok RG. I thought you may have been a mod there. I believe that there are a handful of posters who cross over to both sites and some under different handles. My mistake, sorry about that
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Do you know what is a reasonably good outcome for a 3rd or 4th round pick? Leipsic and Motte. Not a very good outcome (Biesksa, Edler -- have there been any others in the past 15 years? Probably a couple), not a great outcome (e.g., Gaudreau), but a reasonably good one. A guy that can play in the NHL for a few years and take regular shifts.

There's a little more potential that might be squeezed out of these two, though it's probably not going to happen. Still, I think the profile on each is that while they've had success at points in their careers scoring goals, they profile to provide some value even if they don't. Unlike, say, Goldobin, who is basically boom or bust.

Bottom line: 3rd and 4th rounders are long shots to have really good outcomes; Hail Marys for great outcomes. And while it's not always the case, it is usually the case that even the better ones are going to take a few years post draft to get to the NHL.

A debate can be had about whether it is better to have a Leipsic type or a Motte type now with a year to make or break or in 4 or 5 years or for now. But most likely, that's what we are talking about and that's the debate to have.
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:34 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:56 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 pm So for a UFA and a Dman who was never getting a sniff here, Jim got a cap dump and someone else's old 3rd and 4th round picks.

2 guys that cost us no assets for 2 potential assets (and a cap dump)... If Jim can flip Liepisc or Motte like he did Pedan (or they work out with us) this is an ok trade deadline. Got assets and didn't give up anything but money spent last summer.

I was hoping Edler or Erickson, but will Be ok with this, especially if he moves one of those two this summer. (Or draft day)
lol he didn’t flip Pedan. He was a warm body yo make contracts slots fit. It was Pouliot for a 4th and Behn Wilson

I am not sure if this is some kind of inside joke or 'Blob says random shit' or something, but Pedan and a 4th was the trade for Pouliot. So, JB flipped Pedan (non roster player) for a roster player at a time when our defence was a bit gutted by injuries.
He upgraded a player.

Who the hell is Behn Wilson?!?
I know what the actual trade was. Point is Pedan was little more than a warm body who looked horrendous at the NHL level and even at the AHL level. Oddly enough he has immproved his numbers this year but is still incredibly raw at almost 25. The draft pick was of more value to Pittsburgh imho. I think Pittsburgh makes the deal for a 4th and Cederholm or Mackenzie Stewart.

I guess my opinion of a flip is when you actually increase the value of said asset and then flip it. A 3rd and an ECHL player was originally traded for Pedan. The 3rd had value while Mallet didn’t.

Who is Behn Wilson he says ? Behn Wilson was a guy Pat Quinn exposed on waivers every year to meet league quota years and years after he retired. He was also one of the toughest fuckers in the league
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

@ UW. I don’t think anyone is tearing their hair out at the trades and not getting picks. My only point is that picks provide a longer control and more development time than 23 year old players. I just see a huge gaggle of 22-25 year old guys vying for the roster next year and only room for a handful considering other than Baertschi they are all 4th line/AHL fodder. Hopefully they thin out the herd before September. I really would have preferred that Boucher, Goldobin, Virtanen etc would get more of a shot down the stretch.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:55 am My mistake, sorry about that
Gracious apology graciously accepted.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 am Do you know what is a reasonably good outcome for a 3rd or 4th round pick? Leipsic and Motte. Not a very good outcome (Biesksa, Edler -- have there been any others in the past 15 years? Probably a couple), not a great outcome (e.g., Gaudreau), but a reasonably good one. A guy that can play in the NHL for a few years and take regular shifts.

There's a little more potential that might be squeezed out of these two, though it's probably not going to happen. Still, I think the profile on each is that while they've had success at points in their careers scoring goals, they profile to provide some value even if they don't. Unlike, say, Goldobin, who is basically boom or bust.

Bottom line: 3rd and 4th rounders are long shots to have really good outcomes; Hail Marys for great outcomes. And while it's not always the case, it is usually the case that even the better ones are going to take a few years post draft to get to the NHL.

A debate can be had about whether it is better to have a Leipsic type or a Motte type now with a year to make or break or in 4 or 5 years or for now. But most likely, that's what we are talking about and that's the debate to have.
True true, one hopes one of Baertschi, Granlund, Goldy, Leipsic and Motte can be one of those late bloomers that just clicks and starts producing top 6 points, yes I know Baertschi is alright, but he's playing like a 2nd/3rd liner at best and doesn't provide any jam for Horvat and Boeser to work with.

Plus we got some youth ready to push for spots pretty quick in Virtanen, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich, so those seasoned young NHL vets aforementioned need to seize this opportunity late in this season and early next season, or JB can flip em in a deal.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.