The Bubbles Hargraves and Chef Dud review every GM move thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: The Bubbles and Dud review every GM move thread

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:25 pm Hey dude, how bout them Avalanche?
Not bad, about time after a decade long rebuild

How are your Oilers doing, and those amazing deals Chiarelli has made there? You were quite high on their rebuild at the start of the year, using them as ammo against the Canucks rebuild

How long has the Oiler rebuild gone on for now?
Yes Dude, I had the Oilers being much better than they are currently. They made it to game 7 of the second round last year, and I didn't anticipate their regression. Like the Canucks, they are not a good team this year. But they have some very high-end talent and I suspect they will bounce-back.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:25 pm Hey dude, how bout them Avalanche?
Not bad, about time after a decade long rebuild

How are your Oilers doing, and those amazing deals Chiarelli has made there? You were quite high on their rebuild at the start of the year, using them as ammo against the Canucks rebuild

How long has the Oiler rebuild gone on for now?
Yes Dude, I had the Oilers being much better than they are currently. They made it to game 7 of the second round last year, and I didn't anticipate their regression. Like the Canucks, they are not a good team this year. But they have some very high-end talent and I suspect they will bounce-back.
McDavid obviously is head and shoulders above anyone we have on our team. Draisaitl would probably be our starting center as well.

After those two the Oilers don't have as many, nor as talented, young players. I doubt anyone anticipated their regression, but their future is not looking as bright as it was last spring as their entire franchise now sits on the shoulders of two players under the age of 22.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I doubt anyone anticipated their regression,
Unless they looked at the oiler defence??!?

(And I will admit it is extremely satisfying to see them regret more than anticipated!!!)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:22 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:03 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pmLol you dont remember his late night ads? Nobody?

He was a staple on like ckvu in the late 80s maybe early 90s when ad time was cheap. He used to end them with aye aye and goodbye

Must've been during those late night freebasing sessions
I didn't do a lot of late-night freebasing, but I wanted to assure you I do remember The Captain. Even bought a used VCR from him once.
Ok good because i was starting to question everything i thought tied my memories to reality

Aye aye and goodbye
Ha, I remember that guy! Didn't he lose a shit ton of weight one year and was barely recognizable?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ranking the Gillis draft picks (selected over 6 drafts). Any wonder why it's been a brutal fix for the Benning/Linden regime. Inheriting an empty cupboard over 6 years of drafting and old players well past their due date on shitty contracts.

1. Horvat (13) traded Schneider
2. Gaunce (12)
3. Hutton (12)
4. Connauton (09) traded him and a 2nd for Roy
5. Corrado (11)
6. Labate (11)
7. Schroeder (09)
8. Hodgson (08) traded for a coke head
9. Shinkaruk (13)
10. Jensen (11)
11. Grenier (11)
12. Cassels (13)
13. Subban (13)
14. Friesen (10)
15. Rodin (09)
16. McNally (10)
17. Cannata (09)
18. Mallet (12)

Simply Unrankable

Cederholm (13)
Anthony (09)
Sauve (08)
Polasek (10)
Rai (08)
Froshaug (08)
Clark (08)
Price (09)
Andersson (09)
Hannah (10)
Honzik (11)
Bromstrand (11)
Westerholm (11)
Tommernes (11)
Myron (12)
Beattie (12)
Williamson (13)
Liberati (13)
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You a Flames fan, are you still trading

15th overall,
42nd overall
53rd overall

For Hamilton

2018 1st round pick (currently lotto pick)
2018 2nd overall (about 46th)
2019 2nd overall pick

For Hamonic

And are you still drafting Sam Bennett 4th overall?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am Ranking the Gillis draft picks (selected over 6 drafts). Any wonder why it's been a brutal fix for the Benning/Linden regime. Inheriting an empty cupboard over 6 years of drafting and old players well past their due date on shitty contracts.

1. Horvat (13) traded Schneider
2. Gaunce (12)
3. Hutton (12)
4. Connauton (09) traded him and a 2nd for Roy
5. Corrado (11)
6. Labate (11)
7. Schroeder (09)
8. Hodgson (08) traded for a coke head
9. Shinkaruk (13)
10. Jensen (11)
11. Grenier (11)
12. Cassels (13)
13. Subban (13)
14. Friesen (10)
15. Rodin (09)
16. McNally (10)
17. Cannata (09)
18. Mallet (12)

Simply Unrankable

Cederholm (13)
Anthony (09)
Sauve (08)
Polasek (10)
Rai (08)
Froshaug (08)
Clark (08)
Price (09)
Andersson (09)
Hannah (10)
Honzik (11)
Bromstrand (11)
Westerholm (11)
Tommernes (11)
Myron (12)
Beattie (12)
Williamson (13)
Liberati (13)
As long as you enjoy going through the exercise anyway, I'd be more interested to hear about the better players drafted after the poor Gillis pick, e.g. it was a bad move to draft Jordan Schroeder at 22, when Ryan O'Reilly was still available.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:53 am You a Flames fan, are you still trading

15th overall,
42nd overall
53rd overall

For Hamilton

2019 2nd overall pick

For Hamonic

The Hamilton trade is fine. The Hamonic trade is bad but not quite as bad as the Gudbranson trade. Hamonic at least plays top 4 minutes but I was not a fan of the deal at the time and am even less a fan of it now.

Bennett while not producing as much as the Flames would like is still a legit top 9 forward. I’m sure they’d rather have Ehlers or Nylander. Funny so would the Canucks who picked a 4th line slug two picks later.

I’m sure the Flames didn’t mind what happened in 2016 when Elmer left Tkachuk for them and picked healthy scratch Juolevi. Ouch!!!!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol I’ve always agreed there wasn’t a real full cupboard of prospects and youngsters for Elmer when he was hired but it’s comical to hear the Dude complain about old players on shitty contracts signed by Gillis but then he defends Elmer when he signs players to shitty contracts.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:53 am You a Flames fan, are you still trading

15th overall,
42nd overall
53rd overall

For Hamilton

2019 2nd overall pick

For Hamonic

The Hamilton trade is fine. The Hamonic trade is bad but not quite as bad as the Gudbranson trade. Hamonic at least plays top 4 minutes but I was not a fan of the deal at the time and am even less a fan of it now.

Bennett while not producing as much as the Flames would like is still a legit top 9 forward. I’m sure they’d rather have Ehlers or Nylander. Funny so would the Canucks who picked a 4th line slug two picks later.

I’m sure the Flames didn’t mind what happened in 2016 when Elmer left Tkachuk for them and picked healthy scratch Juolevi. Ouch!!!!
Only Bubbles is still picking his beloved Bennett (7 goals 11 assists 52 games) ahead of Ehlers, Point, Nylander, Larkin, Pastrnak, Perlini, Scmhaltz, Kempe, Fiala, Fabbri, Demko, Tryamkin, Fleury, Sanheim
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I just mentioned the Flames should have picked Nylander or Ehlers.

I hope you aren’t the one teaching your daughter to read
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:34 am Lol I’ve always agreed there wasn’t a real full cupboard of prospects and youngsters for Elmer when he was hired but it’s comical to hear the Dude complain about old players on shitty contracts signed by Gillis but then he defends Elmer when he signs players to shitty contracts.
You liked the contracts of Garrison, Higgins, your much beloved -,"The Biter", The Sundin shit show, Edler, taking on Buyout Booths and Buyout Ballard's gawd awful contracts, Luongo "I have a lousy contract"?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 am I just mentioned the Flames should have picked Nylander or Ehlers.

And none of the others I mention?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Higgins was making 2.5 million, not exactly a boat anchor and a high ankle sprain wrecked his career. The biter was traded for a good prospect. Edler is on a good contract. Anyone who disagrees with that is a fucking moron. Garrison was moved for a good asset. Ignitowski then pissed that good asset away similar to what he did with the good asset he got for Bieksa.

Ballard, Luongo and Sundin were all gone before Ignitowski got here. Only Ballard had a bad contract of the three. The league will fuck the Canucks on the Luongo deal but maybe he gets a foot infection and goes long term or something. Booth was on a bad deal and he was rightfully bought out. He isn’t on the cap anymore and when he was it wasn’t crippling like a couple of the current deals may end up being.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:49 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 am I just mentioned the Flames should have picked Nylander or Ehlers.

And none of the others I mention?
I think any of the other guys would have been a reach at #4 ,no ?

Were teams thinking of drafting Tryamkin and Point in the top 5 in June of 2014 ?