The Bubbles Hargraves and Chef Dud review every GM move thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: The Bubbles and Dud review every GM move thread

Post by ESQ »

That post was from last April, when Gio was coming off back to back sub-40 point seasons.

I don't know what's up with having a career year at age 35 like Gio, but I could take a guess...

I'd actually call him the flames MVP, I really don't know where you guys would be without him playing 25 min/game.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:31 am That post was from last April, when Gio was coming off back to back sub-40 point seasons.

I don't know what's up with having a career year at age 35 like Gio, but I could take a guess...

I'd actually call him the flames MVP, I really don't know where you guys would be without him playing 25 min/game.
I actually didn't look at when it was posted. I'm used to Calpuck where there are a lot more posts :mex:

Anyway, you are right, this team really needs Gio. Hopefully in the next few years, a guy like Valimaki could step up and fill his role.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Expat it’s a thread for Dude to throw his dirty diapers around when he’s having his tantrums or he needs to be burped.

Anyways back to ESQs point. I think Giordano and having that quality of a number 1 guy is the difference between Vancouver and Calgary. Giordano is a legit top 8-10 guy in the league. Their next three guys Brodie, Hanifin and Hamonic match up with Edler, Tanev and Hutton. If Vancouver had a Josi or a Subban type they would close the gap big time.

I guess Dalgary would still have an edge in top end forwards - Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm vs Horvat, Petey, Brock...,, so there’s that
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:31 am I don't know what's up with having a career year at age 35 like Gio, but I could take a guess...
Performance enhancing drugs? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm I think Giordano and having that quality of a number 1 guy is the difference between Vancouver and Calgary. Giordano is a legit top 8-10 guy in the league. Their next three guys Brodie, Hanifin and Hamonic match up with Edler, Tanev and Hutton. If Vancouver had a Josi or a Subban type they would close the gap big time.
Interesting way to look at it, I think I agree. Though since I'm a bit more of a fan of Gudbranson than you, I'd say Calgary's d core would be equivalent to the Canucks if Edler all of a sudden had a 70-point season.

Then my theoretical Super-Edler is roughly equivalent to Gio, and Brodie/Hanifin/Hamonic are roughly equivalent to Edler/Hutton/Gudbranson.

Although now that I look at it, Edler is currently producing at a 53-point pace, which would be a career year...

Well, if we re-sign Edler we better get him to see Giordano's "nutritionist".
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:01 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm I think Giordano and having that quality of a number 1 guy is the difference between Vancouver and Calgary. Giordano is a legit top 8-10 guy in the league. Their next three guys Brodie, Hanifin and Hamonic match up with Edler, Tanev and Hutton. If Vancouver had a Josi or a Subban type they would close the gap big time.
Interesting way to look at it, I think I agree. Though since I'm a bit more of a fan of Gudbranson than you, I'd say Calgary's d core would be equivalent to the Canucks if Edler all of a sudden had a 70-point season.

Then my theoretical Super-Edler is roughly equivalent to Gio, and Brodie/Hanifin/Hamonic are roughly equivalent to Edler/Hutton/Gudbranson.

Although now that I look at it, Edler is currently producing at a 53-point pace, which would be a career year...

Well, if we re-sign Edler we better get him to see Giordano's "nutritionist".
The thing is, besides Brodie Hanifin and Hamonic, the Flames also have Anderssen, Valimaki and Kilington coming up. Valimaki is going to be a great D man - hopefully he can eventually replace Gio. Anderssen and Kilington would be in Stockton, if Stone and Valimaki weren't injured. They are playing very well. Anyway, the D corps for the Flames is good for quite a while yet,

Also, the Canucks have the edge in Goal right now. The jury is still out on Rittich, he could be a legit No. 1 - but who knows, he could regress. Mike Smith isn't even good as a backup anymore.

For the forward group - I really like the Canucks core with Brock, Petey, Horvat. I think they will eventually be close to the same production level as Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm. Where the Flames have an edge, is in the depth forwards (at least at the moment anyway). Also, maybe Neal will finally get on track.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BCExpat wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:20 pm

The thing is, besides Brodie Hanifin and Hamonic, the Flames also have Anderssen, Valimaki and Kilington coming up. Valimaki is going to be a great D man - hopefully he can eventually replace Gio. Anderssen and Kilington would be in Stockton, if Stone and Valimaki weren't injured. They are playing very well. Anyway, the D corps for the Flames is good for quite a while yet,
Just from looking at TOI, I'd say the Flames are very top-heavy, with Gio at close to 25 min and the 5/6 guys down at 15 min/game. The Canucks are bit more balanced, with the 5/6 guys averaging 17 or 18 min/game. I would argue the Canucks 5/6 guys are better than the Flames, though maybe that doesn't filter down to the 7/8 guys.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So Roberto Macchenzi, your thoughts on Gillis first year on the job (2008) draft picks, trades and signings?

What baffles me greatly is why, WHY!?!? Did ole Mikey, with 30’ish year old defenceman - Ohlund, Salo and Mitchell and just a young Bieksa and a Edler, why did Ole Mikey use the 10th overall pick in 2008 on a centre named Cotton Hill Hodgson with a 23 year old Kesler and a 27 year old Hank holdkng down the top 2 centre positions, with, WITH both Myers and Karlsson still on board? This just after losing top D prospect - Bourdon a month prior to the draft?

I thought Mike was a brilliant thinker? He sure went to bat an analytics regarding - Hodgson. So surely he had it all dialed in????
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:30 pm So Roberto Macchenzi, your thoughts on Gillis first year on the job (2008) draft picks, trades and signings?

What baffles me greatly is why, WHY!?!? Did ole Mikey, with 30’ish year old defenceman - Ohlund, Salo and Mitchell and just a young Bieksa and a Edler, why did Ole Mikey use the 10th overall pick in 2008 on a centre named Cotton Hill Hodgson with a 23 year old Kesler and a 27 year old Hank holdkng down the top 2 centre positions, with, WITH both Myers and Karlsson still on board? This just after losing top D prospect - Bourdon a month prior to the draft?

I thought Mike was a brilliant thinker? He sure went to bat an analytics regarding - Hodgson. So surely he had it all dialed in????
Other than not being a good drafter he was fine at most other things. We already established that he was a shitty drafter. The UFA were mostly fine other than Ryan Johnson. Sundin and Demitra are better than any UFA Elmer has ever signed.

Karlsson was rated in the 20s in 2008.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Half a season for old man, no knees Sundin. $8.6 million he collected that half season for phoning it in. Demitra gawd bless was meh at best,whatever. The trades were as putrid as the drafting that year. My gawd what a flying start to a shitty era in Canuck management

“I have all the time in the world for Lawrence Gilman! Just a wonderful, wonderful human being!” - Matt Sekers on his man crush for Toronto’s assist GM and “mindful” Capologist.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:00 pm Half a season for old man, no knees Sundin. $8.6 million he collected that half season for phoning it in. Demitra gawd bless was meh at best,whatever. The trades were as putrid as the drafting that year. My gawd what a flying start to a shitty era in Canuck management

“I have all the time in the world for Lawrence Gilman! Just a wonderful, wonderful human being!” - Matt Sekers on his man crush for Toronto’s assist GM and “mindful” Capologist.
None of those trades were that bad. Bernier was no worse than Baertschi for instance. Lawrence Nycholat a big loss was he?

Sundin’s salary of 8.6 million was prorated for the games he played. He and Demitra are better than any UFA Elmer has signed here.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You keep telling yourself that Blob. All of them a big waste of time and money, draft picks, trades and signings. My lord - defending the 2nd and 3rd for stone hands Bernier!! Shoujo we investigate further his Gills managed that asset? $8.6 million for Sundin, well worth it! Nit!

Nothing he did in his first year was good, just fucking awful. It got progressively worst from there
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sundin didn’t make 8.6 million. Please stop saying that or at least qualify it by saying “ I have an agenda here folks”

Baertschi and Pedan (2nd + a 3rd) are miles better than Bernier ? Pedan wasn’t good enough to play and Baertschi when he does feel like playing is soft as hell and produces the same as Bernier.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Only Blob justifying the 2nd and 3rd round pick for Legendary Stone Hands Bernier. 2 seasons of stone hands then packaged along with 2 first round picks for Buyout
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 pm Only Blob justifying the 2nd and 3rd round pick for Legendary Stone Hands Bernier. 2 seasons of stone hands then packaged along with 2 first round picks for Buyout
You justify a 2nd and 3rd for Baertschi and Pedan. You love those deals. Bernier was more useful than both.