The Bubbles Hargraves and Chef Dud review every GM move thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The Bubbles and Dud review every GM move thread

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am But apparently Treliving and Chiarelli are excellent GMs?
I think Treliving has done a decent job in Calgary. I haven’t commented much on Chia so not sure where that is coming from
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am But apparently Treliving and Chiarelli are excellent GMs?
I think Treliving has done a decent job in Calgary. I haven’t commented much on Chia so not sure where that is coming from
So you like the Brouwer and Backlund contracts and Hamonic trade?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 am
So you like the Brouwer and Backlund contracts and Hamonic trade?
Do you need everything repeated to you ? Brouwer has been a bad deal. Not Eriksson bad, but bad. I thought the Hamonic trade was an overpayment and said so at the time. Although according to the mongtards he’s been playing better lately. Still to rich of a payment for me especially if hey miss the playoffs. The Backlund signing while still a year too long is not horrible. Certainly better than the Brandon Sutter contract.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'd rather discuss this post than Benning for a change.

Treliving came into a better situation than JB, with future-stars Monahan and Gaudreau already drafted and a couple years into their development. Considering they had a 5-year stretch of no-playoffs, and a 4-year stretch of failing to make it out of the 1st, its not surprising they were further along than the 2014 Canucks.

Treliving has a done a decent job of drafting, with 2 players from the past 3 drafts making the roster Bennett and Tkachuk. Obviously Tkachuk is looking like the better player.

Even though the Flames were/are slightly further along in their rebuild, I don't think they're as far along as Treliving would like to believe. Over the next 2 drafts, he's traded all but 2 of his round 1-3 picks, and only has 1 pick in the first 2 rounds of the next 2 drafts. For a team that has won 5 playoff games in the past decade, and may very well miss the playoffs this season, that's concerning.

He made moves last off-season like the Flames were on the cusp of going for it. Having Tkachuk be an immediate impact player was a huge bonus, but I don't think they are in a position to go deep, or to sustain. They have seriously nerfed their prospect pipeline with trades, and maintaining the pipeline is key to long-term success: See Pittsburgh, San Jose and Nashville.

I think he did better than I expected in extending Gaudreau, but the Giordano extension is already looking rough.

I'd say Treliving looks a lot better than he is because of two things - a 4th-round pick turning into an all-star, and 6-overall turning into a first line forward as a teenager. Without either of those things happening, I don't think the Flames would even be sniffing at the playoffs this year.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 pm
I'd say Treliving looks a lot better than he is because of two things - a 4th-round pick turning into an all-star, and 6-overall turning into a first line forward as a teenager. Without either of those things happening, I don't think the Flames would even be sniffing at the playoffs this year.
Mike Smith is also working out fairly well.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Treliving came into a better situation than JB, with future-stars Monahan and Gaudreau already drafted and a couple years into their development. Considering they had a 5-year stretch of no-playoffs, and a 4-year stretch of failing to make it out of the 1st, its not surprising they were further along than the 2014 Canucks.

Treliving has a done a decent job of drafting, with 2 players from the past 3 drafts making the roster Bennett and Tkachuk. Obviously Tkachuk is looking like the better player.

Even though the Flames were/are slightly further along in their rebuild, I don't think they're as far along as Treliving would like to believe. Over the next 2 drafts, he's traded all but 2 of his round 1-3 picks, and only has 1 pick in the first 2 rounds of the next 2 drafts. For a team that has won 5 playoff games in the past decade, and may very well miss the playoffs this season, that's concerning.

He made moves last off-season like the Flames were on the cusp of going for it. Having Tkachuk be an immediate impact player was a huge bonus, but I don't think they are in a position to go deep, or to sustain. They have seriously nerfed their prospect pipeline with trades, and maintaining the pipeline is key to long-term success: See Pittsburgh, San Jose and Nashville.

I think he did better than I expected in extending Gaudreau, but the Giordano extension is already looking rough.

I can agree with most of this. Good, well thought out post. As I said I think Treliving has done a decent job, not a world beater by any means but certainly he has been competent in his job , though if they miss the playoffs that Hamonic trade will look pretty awful. That said at least Hamonic is a legit top 4 guy.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Can you imagine if the Islanders pull a Philadelphia at the lottery and land the 2nd overall pick? Anaheim and LA are right on Calgarys ass for that last wild card spot.

Garth Snow - Genius! Bamboozles two Alberta teams (Griffin Reinhart)
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Is the Dude just waking up in his suite at the Astoria ?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Booze, you are the "dude" waking up at the Astoria this morning.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob & Dude both waking up at the Astoria with vague memories of doing the Marchand/Komarov dance, then heads over to Chinatown together for some cheap food to cure their hangovers.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hank wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 pm Blob & Dude both waking up at the Astoria with vague memories of doing the Marchand/Komarov dance, then heads over to Chinatown together for some cheap food to cure their hangovers.
:lol: :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 pm Blob & Dude both waking up at the Astoria with vague memories of doing the Marchand/Komarov dance, then heads over to Chinatown together for some cheap food to cure their hangovers.
Fuck I have a splitting headache today. Clammy pints and a greasy burger at the Cat while I wait for my back brakes to get replaced
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:16 pm Fuck I have a splitting headache today. Clammy pints and a greasy burger at the Cat while I wait for my back brakes to get replaced
Sounds like a pretty good cure.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m thinking Dud is pretty hungover this morning packing drywall up a couple flights of stairs.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Gio's extension is already looking tough???? Wow - he's in the conversation for the Norris. He's a fitness freak and though he is 35, he is still playing at and very high level. I don't think his contract is a burden at all.

I agree with your assessment that Tre has traded off a lot of draft picks - I think that the Hominic trade was an overpayment, but I have no complaints about Homonic, as he has been excellent (started off a bit rough last year, but now he is a mainstay on the flames D). Contrary to your assessment of the Flames depth and minor league prospects, the Flames have a lot of good players in the minors. Just as an example, both Anderssen and Klingtion started the year in the minors - with the injuries, they are filling in as the bottom pairing D, and have played very well. I don't think that trading off the draft picks has hurt them that much.

What you didn't address, and what is of concern to me and most flames fans, is the goal tending situation. Right now, Rittich is playing very well, but if he gets injured, the Flames are hooped. Mike Smith is at the end of his career and is looking every bit like a goalie that is done. The goalie prospects such as Gilles and Parsons are not ready for the NHL. In fact, they aren't really playing that well in the minors. If the Flames are going anywhere in the playoffs, they need to address this situation before the trade deadline. They can ride Rittich as long as he is healthy, but they need a better backup than Smith.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra