What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What to do with the Sedins?

Trade them and say goodbye
10%
Trade them and re-sign them
24%
Cut them loose
15%
Keep them, but off the roster
2%
1 year contract
49%
2 year contract
No votes
More than 2 year contract
No votes

Total votes: 41

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:33 am spritziest
:lol:

Per wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:33 am ”You have to weigh in all sorts of stuff,” Henrik explains. “Family, travel, how the body feels, what the team looks like and what role we would have.
Hmmmmm... sign them at a discount to play home games only? :)

They might be happier that way... and then we can bring up kids from the farm on the road.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am
:oops:
Yeah, well, the Swedish word was "piggaste" which is the superlative of the adjective "pigg", which is not really a typical hockey word. Other offered meanings would be sprightly, vivacious, lively, brisk or peppy. Guess I could have gone with spirited, but I was trying to catch the mood of the article and went with spritzy.
:look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If the Sedins want to play one more season Elmer’s hands are tied. The optics of not offering them a contract would be awful for the franchise. It’s like a death march watching them play this season and last. They are so slow and get murdered defensively. Henrik has 2 goals and there’s a decent chance he ends the season with 2 goals. They get so many offensive starts and yet they still are almost -20. I hope they do the right thing and pack it in. I don’t think there’s much gas left in the tank.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm
Yeah, well, the Swedish word was "piggaste" which is the superlative of the adjective "pigg", which is not really a typical hockey word. Other offered meanings would be sprightly, vivacious, lively, brisk or peppy. Guess I could have gone with spirited, but I was trying to catch the mood of the article and went with spritzy.
All of those are hilarious! :lol:

Now that you explain it, I suppose I'm laughing at the author rather than the translator.

I do appreciate the translation Per...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm If the Sedins want to play one more season Elmer’s hands are tied. The optics of not offering them a contract would be awful for the franchise. It’s like a death march watching them play this season and last. They are so slow and get murdered defensively. Henrik has 2 goals and there’s a decent chance he ends the season with 2 goals. They get so many offensive starts and yet they still are almost -20. I hope they do the right thing and pack it in. I don’t think there’s much gas left in the tank.
I don't see how it would be awful for the franchise if he walks away from them.

They don't strike me as the type to go public with anything, and they aren't likely to go play in another city.

Any fan with half a brain can see what you point out about their defensive game. And some of those half wits can also see how putrid their cycle game has become.

How would the optics be bad? I think they would be worse if he brings them back at a reduced rate and they end up taking another step back, while Vanek goes elsewhere and has another 40-50 point season.

I would definitely take Vanek for two years over both Sedins for one season.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 pm
Per wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm
All of those are hilarious! :lol:

Now that you explain it, I suppose I'm laughing at the author rather than the translator.
Well, we have a number of sports writers that like to use vivid imagery in their prose. This is one of them.

I mean, this is also rather interesting phrasing:
"But then they suffered several severe injuries, lost their spark and finally the floor fell out under them. Now they find themselves nailed to the bottom of the barrel with sixteen desolate points between them and the cutoff line" :roll:

Or this:
"The two veterans stretch out in their large lush Ritz armchairs. They flew in the night before from Raleigh, North Carolina, to Dallas – a three and a half hour flight – and stumbled into their rooms in the wee hours."

It's like he is practicing for that novel he dreams of writing one day... :look:
Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 pmI do appreciate the translation Per...
Thanks! :oops:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

sign them for another year,play them 10 minutes a night.
Canucks need their veteran leadership,not a tire fire like they have in Edmonton when too much is thrown on the young uns
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dangler wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm sign them for another year,play them 10 minutes a night.
Canucks need their veteran leadership,not a tire fire like they have in Edmonton when too much is thrown on the young uns
LOL yes look at the twins shelter the youngsters.

Put a fork in them. I still think they could succeed in another NHL city on a good team. Not here though, on this garbage fire. Furthermore unless you can ditch two of Eriksson, Sutter and Gagner then forget it. Seven softies factoring in Baertschi and Granlund who other than Sutter (who can skate but is soft and thin) are all slow and timid, in your top 9. Fuck that. Too much of the same ol’ same ol’.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Their time as active players is or should be done. If it means so much to them to be here, offer positions in a different area.
Get the mentoring thing out of the head!!!
It just isn't that way and it can't be.
The 15 year age gap may as well be a full 30 year generation in regards to the way society has changed.
These young guys live their lives through social media and in reality, they use it to teach themselves. I am not saying I like that, but it is what it is.
Erikisson is younger but he's in the same dingy as the twins.
Oh sure! The kids say how valuable the vets are to them but what would you expect them to say? It's like a well duh thing.
We are all Canucks, right?
Call me cruel, call me stupid, call me anything you want but I am more sure than ever that they should not be offered new deals,
no matter how cheap. (and I doubt it would be that cheap).
Some say it doesn't hurt anything for 1 more year but I think it does.
If Elias does make it this fall, that doesn't mean he needs a Sedin to get through it. The fact they are from the same Country means diddly-squat!!!
He'll be far better served learning the ins and outs from Horvat, Beoser and even Stecher. All three of them are very active in knowing how, not just other teams, but the players on them are trending!

On another note; Ya, wrong thread, I know, who cares... We need some coaching alterations in regards to the forwards working with the defense
and vise-versa. There is one whopping discord present and it reeks worse than anyone's ass...
Better goalie coach too please. Doesn't actually have to be an X nhl keeper, does it?
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sedins to Vaxjo, Pettersson to the Canucks for 2018/19.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 pm Their time as active players is or should be done. If it means so much to them to be here, offer positions in a different area.
Get the mentoring thing out of the head!!!
It just isn't that way and it can't be.
The 15 year age gap may as well be a full 30 year generation in regards to the way society has changed.
These young guys live their lives through social media and in reality, they use it to teach themselves. I am not saying I like that, but it is what it is.
Erikisson is younger but he's in the same dingy as the twins.
Oh sure! The kids say how valuable the vets are to them but what would you expect them to say? It's like a well duh thing.
We are all Canucks, right?
Call me cruel, call me stupid, call me anything you want but I am more sure than ever that they should not be offered new deals,
no matter how cheap. (and I doubt it would be that cheap).
Some say it doesn't hurt anything for 1 more year but I think it does.
If Elias does make it this fall, that doesn't mean he needs a Sedin to get through it. The fact they are from the same Country means diddly-squat!!!
He'll be far better served learning the ins and outs from Horvat, Beoser and even Stecher. All three of them are very active in knowing how, not just other teams, but the players on them are trending!

On another note; Ya, wrong thread, I know, who cares... We need some coaching alterations in regards to the forwards working with the defense
and vise-versa. There is one whopping discord present and it reeks worse than anyone's ass...
Better goalie coach too please. Doesn't actually have to be an X nhl keeper, does it?
I don’t think the goalie coach is the problem. It’s the focus of the goalie and the defence in front of him. Clouts used to let in the odd beachball, but he wasn’t letting in the first shot of the game like we’ve seen from Markstrom, nor the kind of bad angle crap that Nilsson is giv My up way too often.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

micky107 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 pm He'll be far better served learning the ins and outs from Horvat, Beoser and even Stecher. All three of them are very active in knowing how, not just other teams, but the players on them are trending!
Really? 2 All-Stars and Troy? :hmmm:

I honestly hope there's at least one GM in the league that has this type of opinion of Stretcher! 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 pm Call me cruel, call me stupid, call me anything you want...
Okay Fred. :mrgreen:

I think most of us are back and forth a bit about one more year for the Sedins.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, to take a calmer position, I'll just say, for me, it's at the point where the call on their immediate future, post July 1st,
should NOT be theirs. Trevor said it would be but again, for me, that's not good business.
Honestly though, who knows what to really believe.
"evolution"
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Looking at this from both a hockey and business standpoint, I think it's time for the Sedins to hang up their spurs. From a business standpoint, after three abysmal seasons, Canucks fans want hope and glimpse of the future. That means young players in the line-up. Fans will pay to see the likes of Elias Pettersson, Jonathan Dahlen, Adam Guadette, Thatcher Demko, and Oli Juolevi even on a bad team. What fans will NOT pay to see are the exact same faces delivering poor results.

From a hockey standpoint, the Sedins are sheltering NO ONE. They are being sheltered by younger players. When our good young players are injured the Sedins are asked to play a more central role, they can no longer get the job done. Chances are they will demand at least $5 million each to play for another year. Francesco, keep that money in your bank account, or better yet, hire them into the organization.