What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What to do with the Sedins?

Trade them and say goodbye
10%
Trade them and re-sign them
24%
Cut them loose
15%
Keep them, but off the roster
2%
1 year contract
49%
2 year contract
No votes
More than 2 year contract
No votes

Total votes: 41

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Post by Cornuck »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:36 pm 1 year bonus-laden contract
D with 2.2 million
H with 3.3 million
D with $2,500,000.00
H with $2,500,000.01

^Just as likely to happen. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 am 1 year bonus-laden contract
I would stay away from the bonus-laden deals, or if they do include bonuses, then management should stick to an internal cap that includes them in their salary structure. The way this team spends to the cap, we'd likely be carrying overages into the next season.

Rebuilding teams should not be in LTIR/cap penalty territory.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 am
Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 am 1 year bonus-laden contract
I would stay away from the bonus-laden deals, or if they do include bonuses, then management should stick to an internal cap that includes them in their salary structure. The way this team spends to the cap, we'd likely be carrying overages into the next season.

Rebuilding teams should not be in LTIR/cap penalty territory.
Rebuilding teams should be nowhere near the cap ceiling. It’s asinine
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Just let them walk. We suck royal sack with them in the line up so why bother...is that 8 points up on the bottom 2 teams worth anything whatsoever?

Lets get down in the dirty basement with buffalo and arizona and draft some fuckin defensemen for fuck sakes. Fuck
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 am Just let them walk. We suck royal sack with them in the line up so why bother...is that 8 points up on the bottom 2 teams worth anything whatsoever?

Lets get down in the dirty basement with buffalo and arizona and draft some fuckin defensemen for fuck sakes. Fuck
Tell us what ya really think :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 am Rebuilding teams should be nowhere near the cap ceiling. It’s asinine
Why?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:58 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:01 pm
CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:36 pm 1 year bonus-laden contract
D with 2.2 million
H with 3.3 million
More than likely, the contracts will have to be the same.

Think of it as paying Henrik less than he might otherwise get, rather than paying Daniel more.

WHOOSH

You need to develop a sense of humour like we "boring" folk there Cliffy. :lol:
Okay Cliff, here's a hint: Think about the numbers on their jerseys. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 am Rebuilding teams should be nowhere near the cap ceiling. It’s asinine
Why?
Well there may be strategic value to putting yourself near the ceiling by acquiring crappy contracts from other teams for bonus assets, but that's not typically what the Canucks have done.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The cap isn't an issue for this team, but hey let's let those who think otherwise be alarmists, anything to hitch their ride to. It's joyfully entertaining
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:22 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm
Why?
Well there may be strategic value to putting yourself near the ceiling by acquiring crappy contracts from other teams for bonus assets, but that's not typically what the Canucks have done.
Why not saaaay... "overpay" excellent UFA mentors? (UFA players tend to be "overpaid")

And Jimbro never had much choice about allotting $14M in cap-bucks to the Sedins.

I don't think your Canucks will be anywhere near the ceiling next year... do you?

WORTH NOTING HERE THAT 29 TEAMS ARE WITHIN $9M OF THE CAP RIGHT NOW (and $11M above the floor)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Maybe "Mentoring" should be looked at more along these lines.
http://www.jimthomsonsdreams.com/hockey ... g-program/

Quite honestly, the youth of today is so very different then even 10 years ago, and vastly different then 20.
To be a successful mentor there has to be some semblance of common ground and I just don't see that happening.
Not in the last 4 years.
"evolution"
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm Maybe "Mentoring" should be looked at more along these lines.
http://www.jimthomsonsdreams.com/hockey ... g-program/

Quite honestly, the youth of today is so very different then even 10 years ago, and vastly different then 20.
To be a successful mentor there has to be some semblance of common ground and I just don't see that happening.
Not in the last 4 years.
Where in the sweet hell did you dig that up? His mentoring client reference is Nikita Poliakov - yeah, who??? :lol:

You're making a greater argument for successful NHL players to be mentors as opposed to flashes in the pan.

And common ground? How about being professional hockey players, learning what it takes to succeed at the highest calibre level. I think having the Sedins around, showing younger players that despite their exceptional skill they are still two of the hardest working players in the league, is a far better mentoring option even for millennials.

Not sure a 52 year old former goon with 115 NHL games under his belt is someone we send Elias Pettersson to go see!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 pm The cap isn't an issue for this team, but hey let's let those who think otherwise be alarmists, anything to hitch their ride to. It's joyfully entertaining
Cap is an issue, but only in terms of term. If we are spending to the cap and have 5 or 6 guys with middling priced ($3M-$5M) contracts that are on 1 year deals then who cares. But if we start handing out a bunch of contracts in that range with term like Benning gave Eriksson, then cap becomes a problem.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 pm And common ground? How about being professional hockey players, learning what it takes to succeed at the highest calibre level. I think having the Sedins around, showing younger players that despite their exceptional skill they are still two of the hardest working players in the league, is a far better mentoring option even for millennials.

Not sure a 52 year old former goon with 115 NHL games under his belt is someone we send Elias Pettersson to go see!
That is the true value that those guys bring to the franchise beyond this season. I don't like their passive approach to in-game pushing and shoving, I don't like the idea of them teaching that to guys like Dahlen and Pettersson, however, what they bring to the rink every day of every season, and the way they show up for training camp, the off-ice stuff.....could you find two better mentors in the NHL today? I don't think so. Having them around on one year deals at $4M or less going forward is very much worth it. But the understanding has to be that trades and FA signings are not done with them in mind, and the gameplan has to change to fit the new players on the other 3 lines. But if they can play 3rd line minutes and still add 40 points each with mostly PP minutes.....definitely keep them as long as they want to be here.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:54 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 pm The cap isn't an issue for this team, but hey let's let those who think otherwise be alarmists, anything to hitch their ride to. It's joyfully entertaining
Cap is an issue, but only in terms of term. If we are spending to the cap and have 5 or 6 guys with middling priced ($3M-$5M) contracts that are on 1 year deals then who cares. But if we start handing out a bunch of contracts in that range with term like Benning gave Eriksson, then cap becomes a problem.
Aaaaaaaaaagain....the cap is not an issue with the Canucks with where they are at now and going forward
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau