Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by ESQ »

I like to do this thread ever 21 games, as I find it easier to then track how the team and players did throughout the year - got better, got worse, etc.

1st Line
Boeser - 18 gp, 9g/19 pts (on pace for 39g/19/83 points)
Horvat - 21 gp, 8g/16 pts (on pace for 31g/62 pts)
Baertschi - 21 gp, 8g/16 pts (on pace for 31g/62 pts)

2nd Line
D. Sedin - 21 gp, 4g/10 pts (on pace for 15g/39 pts)
H. Sedin - 21 gp, 2g/9 pts (on pace for 8g/35 pts)
Virtanen - 17 gp, 2g/5 pts (on pace for 9g/23 pts)

3rd Line
Vanek - 21 gp, 5g/13pts (on pace for 19g/51 pts)
Granlund - 20 gp, 3g/4 points ( on pace for 12g/16 pts)
Eriksson - 9 gp, 1g/6 points (on pace for 8g/47 pts)

4th Line
Dorsett - 20 gp, 7g/9 points (on pace for 28g/36 pts)
Sutter - 21 gp, 1g/5pts (on pace for 4g/20 pts)
Gagner - 21 gp, 2g/7 points (on pace for 8g/27 pts)
Burmistrov - 15 gp, 1g/5pts (on pace for 5g/25 pts)
Gaunce - 5 gp, 0g/0pts

Defence
Del Zotto - 23:05, 21 gp, 1g/7 pts (on pace for 4g/27pts)
Hutton - 22:22, 21 gp, 0g/3pts (on pace for 12 pts)
Tanev, 21:17, 15 gp, 2g/5pts (on pace for 10g/25 pts)
Edler - 20:07, 9 gp, 0g/2pts (on pace for 15 pts)
Gudbranson - 18:06, 20 gp, 0g/0pts
Pouliot - 17:10, 18gp, 0g/6pts (on pace for 26 pts)
Stecher - 15:50, 8gp, 0g/1pt
Biega - 14:14, 14gp, 0g/2a

TEAM STATS
10-8-0-3, 23 points, 14th in the NHL, 9th in the West (tied in points with #8 Dallas), 5th in the Pacific, 3 points behind #1 LA.
Offence - 2.67 goals/game, 26th in the League
Defence - 2.76 GA/game, 21st in the League
PP - 18.1%, 20th in the League
PK - 80.0%, 16th in the League
FO% - 50.8%, 13th in the League
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by ESQ »

Compared to last year - the Canucks started with a 4 game squeaker-win streak, followed by a 9 game losing streak, followed by 9 games of alternating wins and losses.

8-11-2

After dipping below .500 on Nov 2, they clawed back to 3 games above .500 by Jan20, but by February they were sub-500 for the rest of the season.

The Canucks have won 5 games when giving up the first goal (4th in the league). Last season they won 13 times when giving up the first goal, 20th in the league.

Boeser is 1 point and 2 goals behind Keller for the rookie scoring title, in 5 fewer GP.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESQ wrote: 2nd Line
D. Sedin - 21 gp, 4g/10 pts (on pace for 15g/39 pts)
H. Sedin - 21 gp, 2g/9 pts (on pace for 8g/35 pts)
Virtanen - 17 gp, 2g/5 pts (on pace for 9g/23 pts)
Thanks ESQ! It's a bit unfortunate that Virtanen did not get much ice-time to increase the production. Assuming that he will play on the Sedins line the rest of the season, I would assume that he should be able to get more than 30 pts (assuming that he is not going to have late night parties...) :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jovocop on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Good numbers.

Hope to see LE continue on the trend. I think Dorsettes numbers are skewed because of a couple good weeks.

The problem in the league is that it can be difficult to make up points when some games are worth 2 points and others are 3.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:The problem in the league is that it can be difficult to make up points when some games are worth 2 points and others are 3.
You prefer a 6 point swing to some games and a 1 point swing to others?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ESQ wrote:
TEAM STATS
10-8-0-3, 23 points, 14th in the NHL, 9th in the West (tied in points with #8 Dallas), 5th in the Pacific, 3 points behind #1 LA.
Offence - 2.67 goals/game, 26th in the League
Defence - 2.76 GA/game, 21st in the League
PP - 18.1%, 20th in the League
PK - 80.0%, 16th in the League
FO% - 50.8%, 13th in the League
Quite surprised on this. I've felt the team is much more competitive and would've had better numbers in comparison.

Not sure what it represents other than I'm pretty happy with the progress of the rebuild and I can see a substantial improvement in team depth except possibly the defense.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Quite surprised on this. I've felt the team is much more competitive and would've had better numbers in comparison.

Not sure what it represents other than I'm pretty happy with the progress of the rebuild and I can see a substantial improvement in team depth except possibly the defense.
This is the charade that management has been calling for all along. Being competitive game after game.

Bo is in year 4, Boesser has sparked while Jake and Jared did not. Sven and Granlund are seeing the reclamation prospect light that Vey did not. Vanek is the best placeholder they've had.

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Quite surprised on this. I've felt the team is much more competitive and would've had better numbers in comparison.

This is the charade that management has been calling for all along. Being competitive game after game.

Bo is in year 4, Boesser has sparked while Jake and Jared did not. Sven and Granlund are seeing the reclamation prospect light that Vey did not. Vanek is the best placeholder they've had.
I'm surprised too.

I pulled out those numbers about comeback wins because last season, I subjectively felt like they were never able to come from behind to win. This year, half of their wins have been comebacks.

But what's amazing to me is the feeling that you have to watch every game to the end, because they might pull off the comeback.

It might hurt to lose Dorsett's hot hand, but Eriksson and Granlund are both due to get hot. I'm not sure having Virtanen play on the Sedins' every other shift for 9ish minutes will see him reach his offensive potential.

Up and down the roster, I'd say Dorsett and Boeser are the only two over-performing forwards. I'd say Granlund, Virtanen, and possibly Gagner could be under-performing, i.e. they could heat up while Dorsett and Boeser could cool down.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ [color=#FF0000]Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:58 am[/color] wrote: PK - 80.0%, 16th in the League
:hmmm:
Reefer2 [color=#FF0000]Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 pm[/color] wrote:24th ranked pk.
:crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:

It really helps fan interest to have a good story like Boeser. Other than his personal success it's pretty well the same sort of core group with much better coaching
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:

Vey isn’t and never was good enough. Granlund and Baertschi are NHL players.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have knees for each jerk

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:I have knees for each jerk
Yes you do.... your on them quite frequently
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Boy, if:
1) Boeser turns out to be the real deal and with Bo + Bearcheese, they become the big line that can carry the offense for this team.
2) the Sedin line and the Granlund-Vanek line can provide consistent secondary scoring.
3) the Sutter line with whoever (Gaunce, Dorsett, Gagner) can continue to be a very good checking line.
4) our D can just play a solid 2-way game. We don't have a top guy who can carry the load back there, but it'll have to be by committee with all the guys doing their part and limiting mistakes.
5) we continue to get solid goaltending from Marky + Nielsson with 2 guys pushing each other.

We'll make the playoffs and I'd hate to be the other team who has to face us. We'll have all the ingredients for a dark horse that can upset some top teams and make a good run in the playoffs. :P
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Boy,

We'll make the playoffs and I'd hate to be the other team who has to face us. We'll have all the ingredients for a dark horse that can upset some top teams and make a good run in the playoffs. :P
Don’t jump on the bandwagon now, you might be labeled a Strangelove lackey.

But hey... psst (looks both ways) the password is genius