The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Richardstroker69 »

I wonder with tkachuk committing to another year of ncaa if his stock will drop some. I also wonder if he’d be a kid that goes right to free agency to play with his brother (coming from a well off family where money might not be the biggest motivator).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 am I wonder with tkachuk committing to another year of ncaa if his stock will drop some. I also wonder if he’d be a kid that goes right to free agency to play with his brother (coming from a well off family where money might not be the biggest motivator).
Papa Keith said no decision has been made yet; re returning to school. I don’t know about him bolting to play with his brother. There are a lot of brothers past and present who didn’t need to play together on the same team. He would have to play three more college seasons to become a UFA. That’s a lot of money to piss away. Either way if they get him here and get him signed the Canucks or any other team would have player control for seven seasons.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:17 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 am I wonder with tkachuk committing to another year of ncaa if his stock will drop some. I also wonder if he’d be a kid that goes right to free agency to play with his brother (coming from a well off family where money might not be the biggest motivator).
Papa Keith said no decision has been made yet; re returning to school. I don’t know about him bolting to play with his brother. There are a lot of brothers past and present who didn’t need to play together on the same team. He would have to play three more college seasons to become a UFA. That’s a lot of money to piss away. Either way if they get him here and get him signed the Canucks or any other team would have player control for seven seasons.
I missed the papa kieth announcement, I hope he falls he’d be a great addition, and would make flames games even more enjoyable.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I wonder if it was a mistake to put Brady in the NCAA. Not suited for his style of game. Should have gone the CHL route IMO. I wonder if Keith pushed him to go to Boston cause of Keiths roots?

No way Brady plays 3 more seasons of College Hockey
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:46 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm Picking a RHD would allow us to consider moving Tanev, perhaps not this year but next, or at the TDD if we fall out of it again. I’m assuming that that pick likely won’t be too impactful, if at all, for the Canucks this upcoming season.

Picking a LW shores up a need in our top six.

To me though picking a player who has the potential to play top six centre is crucial. We’ve lost Hank. I’m not sold on Pettersson yet as a top six centre, at least yet. And I’m not sold on Horvat being the number one centre. To me he is a perfect number two guy. In a perfect world anyway. By default he is the number one but I don’t think that makes us strong enough down the middle.

But I agree with the sentiment that you should draft the PBA. Fortunately we have a lot of needs :mrgreen: so whoever we get will be ok.
Agreed on the RHD, which I think is likely to be our pick. Boqvist, Bouchard, or Dobson.

For LW, if Tkachuk falls to 7 he’s a no-brainer. Position of need and he’s a great pick at 7 - not so great top 3, but definitely at 7. I don’t expect that to happen though.

For centre, I expect that will be the focus of next year’s draft. Hughes, Dach, Newhook, Cozens, Turcotte all top 10 talents and all play C. I expect we will be picking top 10 again next year barring a major surprise.
A ton of quality top 10 lottery zone forwards/Centres in next years draft. I believe Byram is the only D that could crack the top 10

It looks like Hughes and Kakko own the top 2 positins. Newhook has come out of nowhere as Canada’s top player in 2019. Lots of Canadian talent in the 2019 class
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Here's a sampling of what Montreal fans think.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Habs/comments/ ... return_to/

Here's a question though.
If he is available when we pick.
And even with a big red flag.
Would you take him anyways?

Then again, Jim might have something preordained, you know, like last year when at the time of the announcement, some of us
said; W.T.F. !!!!!!! You know who U are. J/K. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Papa Keith said no decision has been made yet; re returning to school.
Do you have a link?

Last I heard, Brady committed to Boston University:

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/colleg ... university
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Last I heard too was he committed. But that was very quickly followed up by dad saying no, no final decision had been made and likely wouldn’t be made until after the draft. But most pundits thought dad’s comments were made, in some misguided way, to try and protect son’s draft position in the top 5.

I don’t think it matters either way unless teams get a sense he is trying to control where he goes which doesn’t sound the case. I think he wants to play one more year in the NCAA but dad is being dad. I don’t have a problem with that. I don’t think he forgoes the NHL for the next three years just to sign where he wants. ELC are ELC.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 am
Papa Keith said no decision has been made yet; re returning to school.
Do you have a link?

Last I heard, Brady committed to Boston University:

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/colleg ... university
TKACHUK’S DECISION

Multiple outlets reported this week that forward Brady Tkachuk would return to Boston University for his sophomore season instead of turning pro, but his father, former Coyote Keith Tkachuk, countered those reports on Wednesday.

“I wouldn’t say a decision has been made yet either way,” Keith Tkachuk said. “We just haven’t really discussed it yet. We will wait until after the draft before a decision is made.”

Brady Tkachuk is widely considered a top-10 pick for the 2018 NHL Draft, which will take place at American Airlines Center in Dallas from June 22-23.

Some projections have him taken as high as No. 3. The Coyotes own the No. 5 pick in the draft.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1523343/ ... -decision/
Who knows what the Tkachuk's are thinking, but maybe if it's a team needing a gritty LW that has a good center to play with, then maybe they'll change their mind on going back to college.

A Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser line though is fun to think about.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Noah Dobson is up to 5 points 2g, 3a in 2 Memorial Cup games, it's unfortunate the London Knights team is in rebuild mode in Bouchard's draft year, anyways ONE of Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson will be available for the Canucks to pick at #7. :thumbs:

IF none are available at #7 then that means Tkachuk falls to us.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I think one of Boqvist or Tkachuk will be there at seven. I won’t be surprised if Dobson is gone before the Canucks pick. He is probably moving up with the memorial cup exposure. There is more risk and reward with Boqvist so that’d be my choice of the three. If he becomes an elite dynamic power play quarterback, that would be something the Canucks have never really had. I’d be happy with either of the other two. Neither will project to be as dynamic as Boqvist but both fill important positional needs. I think both are much safer picks than Boqvist. They both look to be more certain NHLers. Boqvist is a much greater risk of flopping, but I’d still pick him before the others, then a coin flip, probably Tkachuk and then Dobson, and go home happy.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The memorial cup has opened the world up to Dobson. I’d be shocked if he is still available at 7. He’s going ahead of Bouchard and Boqvist IMO, tough call on him passing Hughes and Tkachuk. Bummer I really wanted Dobson
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:03 pm I think one of Boqvist or Tkachuk will be there at seven. I won’t be surprised if Dobson is gone before the Canucks pick. He is probably moving up with the memorial cup exposure. There is more risk and reward with Boqvist so that’d be my choice of the three. If he becomes an elite dynamic power play quarterback, that would be something the Canucks have never really had. I’d be happy with either of the other two. Neither will project to be as dynamic as Boqvist but both fill important positional needs. I think both are much safer picks than Boqvist. They both look to be more certain NHLers. Boqvist is a much greater risk of flopping, but I’d still pick him before the others, then a coin flip, probably Tkachuk and then Dobson, and go home happy.
I’d be shocked if Tkachuk is there at 7, if Dobson is gone the decision is easy. Defence will still be a mess but the future of the top 3 lines looks great

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Dahlin Pettersson Virtanen
Tkachuk Gaudette Lind
Gadjovich Gaunce Lockwood

Goldobin
Jasek
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm The memorial cup has opened the world up to Dobson. I’d be shocked if he is still available at 7. He’s going ahead of Bouchard and Boqvist IMO, tough call on him passing Hughes and Tkachuk. Bummer I really wanted Dobson
All good, just gotta have the Las Vegas Golden Knights model defense.

McNabb - Schmidt
Theodore - Engelland
Sbisa - Miller

^Kinda like Team Sweden's defense, two-way stalwarts with QB's. :mrgreen:

Edler - (Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist)
Hutton (up with hope!) - Tanev
Juolevi - Guddy

Move MDZ, Pouliot and Stecher for picks or what have you.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pronman's top 10:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Kotakaniemi
5. Hughes
6. Wahlstrom
7. Boqvist
8. Bokk
9. Tkachuk
10. Merkley

Bouchard and Dobson outside the top 10, pronman gives zero fucks for intangibles :lol: , he goes purely based on talent.

Nice to see a curveball in the mock draft/rankings.

Could very well see one of those bolded be a "reach" in the top 10.