The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:39 am
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:22 am
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:09 am The Never Ending Full Tank Rebuilds

- Edmonton Oilers
- Buffalo Sabres
U
Rip roaring successes

The Hockey Writers last NHL Team Prospect Pool Rankings

Canucks - 6th
Sabres - 20th
Oilers - 21st

Hmmmmmm, interesting.
Don't forget these rebuilds:

LA - 2, 4, 5 picks in successive years
Pittsburgh - 2 1st overalls and a 2nd
Chicago - 1st overall and 3rd
Winnipeg - 7, 9, 7, 2 in a 6 year period
Tampa - 1 and 2 overall in successive years
Toronto - 1, 5, 7, 8 in 4 of 5 years
Jersey - 1, 4, 6 in the past 5 or 6 years (traded their 4th overall for an MVP candidate)
Columbus - 7, 6, 4, 2, 8, 3 in the past 10 years

Need I go on? Everybody uses Edmonton (and now Buffalo) as the examples while ignoring the numerous examples of teams that drafted well with high picks and it's helped to build a foundation of a contender or even cup winner. Edmonton is a perfect example of what not to do, and Buffalo is getting there though they have maybe another year or two before they are in Edmonton's class.

I prefer to focus on teams that have done it right, there are more examples of that than those that have done it wrong.
I don’t think any of them went full on tank like Edmonton or Buffalo. At least not nearly as consistently.

I do think that Edmonton and Buffalo are great examples of how not to build through the draft. The others are great examples of how to build through the draft.
The problem is people think just picking top 3 gurantees success. It doesn’t, you need to have a development plan and bring in the right support players. Abbott, Polly, puppet keeps on referencing the GM that have not done that and says “see this doesn’t work”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 am The more I read on the prospects in that 2nd tier after the consensus top 4 the more I like Noah Dobson and the less I like Bouchard and Hughes. Bouchard strikes me as a Jason Garrison, slow and soft. Hughes has a horrid muffin of a shot and is getting beat up for his defensive play and 5 on 5 play. Dobson does everything very well
Yeah depending on who is available if they pick at 7, I’d have little problem with them picking Dobson. Ty Smith is also interesting.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 am
Reefer2 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 pm Does Vegas have a top pick this year?
Ruffles, I believe the G-Knights traded their 2018 1st to Detroit for Tatar.
Don't forget to say "thank you" Ruffles...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm The problem is people think just picking top 3 gurantees success.
Yes, those imaginary GMs are idiots compared to you...

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm It doesn’t, you need to have a development plan and bring in the right support players.
Yes, but to get those "support players" to climb on board during a rebuild you might have to overpay them

.... and then all your cannot-handle-a-rebuild fans will be screaming:

"OVER-PAYMENT!!! are we there yet, are we there yet, WHERE'S OUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS?!! :twisted: "

Just kidding, the cannot-handle-a-rebuild fans will scream, cry, and wet themselves no matter what you do...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:38 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 am The more I read on the prospects in that 2nd tier after the consensus top 4 the more I like Noah Dobson and the less I like Bouchard and Hughes. Bouchard strikes me as a Jason Garrison, slow and soft. Hughes has a horrid muffin of a shot and is getting beat up for his defensive play and 5 on 5 play. Dobson does everything very well
Yeah depending on who is available if they pick at 7, I’d have little problem with them picking Dobson. Ty Smith is also interesting.
Isnt Boquist ranked better than all 3 of Dobson, Hughes or Bouchard? PP qb with insane wheels and hockey sense?

Given the swedish scouting we have had success with I'd say this is where they go at 5-OA.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:16 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:38 pm
Isnt Boquist ranked better than all 3 of Dobson, Hughes or Bouchard? PP qb with insane wheels and hockey sense?

Given the swedish scouting we have had success with I'd say this is where they go at 5-OA.
Yup Boqvist has some slick skills, some say if Dahlin wasn't there, Boqvist would be the highest ranked dman, he's also the youngest iirc so with him ranked as high as he is at his age, he'd be a solid pick, but he'll likely need a couple years of development in the SHL, the wait could be worth it to whatever team drafts him.

1st tier: Dahlin,
2nd tier: Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes
3rd tier: Smith, Wilde, McIsaac, Miller, Woo, Samuelsson, Rasmus Sandin, Merkley

It's these 3rd tiers though that sometimes could be better than the 2nd tier in the end.

This draft if you ever wanted your team to shore up on dmen prospects *ahem* Canucks is the time to gain more draft picks in the 1st round, which can only come by moving Tanev.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:25 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm The problem is people think just picking top 3 gurantees success.
Yes, those imaginary GMs are idiots compared to you...

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm It doesn’t, you need to have a development plan and bring in the right support players.
Yes, but to get those "support players" to climb on board during a rebuild you might have to overpay them

.... and then all your cannot-handle-a-rebuild fans will be screaming:

"OVER-PAYMENT!!! are we there yet, are we there yet, WHERE'S OUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS?!! :twisted: "

Just kidding, the cannot-handle-a-rebuild fans will scream, cry, and wet themselves no matter what you do...
Lol I knew Costello would come to Abbott’s support.

So freaking predictable.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeahno, you really should thank the man Reef...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The odds are the Canucks likely pick a player ranked from #5-#10 range.

Thus here are the contenders:
Oliver Wahlstrom
Evan Bouchard
Adam Boqvist
Quinton Hughes
Ty Smith
Noah Dobson
Brady Tkachuk

If Boqvist is there ya gotta take him, 2nd is Wahlstrom if he's there with his high end talent you gotta take him, he'll be high on a lot of teams want lists.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What's with your love for Wahlstrom, SKYO? My list of that list

Tkachuk
Dobson
Boqvist
Bouchard

Wahlstrom
Hughes

BTW, central scouting just released their lists and they had Smith ranked 14th on their NA Skaters list
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Wahlstrom just has elite skills bro, hard to turn down talent like that if avail.
Jeff Paterson:

#Canucks switching things up. Jim Benning will represent team on stage at draft lottery on April 28th
:shock:
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

So I can imagine the Canucks taking a defenseman who will need a couple years to develop (probably any of them except Dahlin) over Tkachuk who should step into the league right away.
The Benning bashers will be out in numbers. How could Benning pass on a Tkachuk again! The guy’s an idiot!
The pro-Benning crowd will amazed at his big brass balls. The guy’s a genius!
I’ll get the popcorn.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 pm So I can imagine the Canucks taking a defenseman who will need a couple years to develop (probably any of them except Dahlin) over Tkachuk who should step into the league right away.
The Benning bashers will be out in numbers. How could Benning pass on a Tkachuk again! The guy’s an idiot!
I’ll get the popcorn.
I think Tkachuk needs more cooking in the NCAA. He didn't have a stellar year in college. Dahlin and Svechnikov seem most ready. But yeah you won't be seeing the rest for a couple years, Tkachuk included.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 pm So I can imagine the Canucks taking a defenseman who will need a couple years to develop (probably any of them except Dahlin) over Tkachuk who should step into the league right away.
I’ll get the popcorn.
It all depends on who he takes instead of Tkachuk. As we get get closer than the draft the consensus lists will come out and we will have a better idea who is ranked where and what position the Canucks are drafting in. In 2015, Matt Tkachuk was clearly bpa. Who is to say Brady will be bpa when Vancouver picks ? I liked his game at the WJC but his numbers has been pretty average in college hockey this year. Then again I’m not privy to what line he is on, how much pp time he gets or how much ice time. I’ve seen him ranked anywhere from 2 to 9. Matt Tkachuk on the other hand was no worse than 5 on pretty much every list. This draft seems a bit more volatile
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Makes me wonder how much of Tkachuks success at the WJCs came on the heels of playing with Mittlestadt? It is troubling that his year in college and the NCAA tourney was nothing extraordinary. He's a wildcard at this point