The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by 2Fingers »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:02 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:55 pm Shouldn't the Canucks actually win the Cup first, before you become blase about it ?
Yawn, if it's not obvious to you by now that this is inevitable I pity you...
:lol:

Well, maybe take pity on the oblivious and at least tell me in what year they win the first one?
1-2 years from now????
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am Hughes is not 5'-10" SKYO. After seeing him at the WJC I now question his listed height of 5-9". He looked a lot smaller than 5'-9" - 175 lbs. I simply have a hard time using a top 10 pick on a "defencemen" that tiny. I don't care how skilled he is, he can't just be a PP guy or an overtime guy, you certainly don't waste a top 10 pick on that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am Hughes is not 5'-10" SKYO. After seeing him at the WJC I now question his listed height of 5-9". He looked a lot smaller than 5'-9" - 175 lbs. I simply have a hard time using a top 10 pick on a "defencemen" that tiny. I don't care how skilled he is, he can't just be a PP guy or an overtime guy, you certainly don't waste a top 10 pick on that.
Adapt

Tuck and Roll

I am neither stagnant nor stale

You sir are a drunk stuck in a rut
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

dangler wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:44 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:50 pm Well, well that’s the million dollar question where the game is going, am I the only in hockey earth that says the game is changing to a more high tempo, speed, skill, quick transitional game where there is no room for errors like consistently getting penalties from poor positional play, poor gap control having a poor stick, chasing hits, consistently being on the wrong side of the puck etc.
No your not the only one. Pretty much everyone that watched the playoffs this year would agree with you.

Skating RG,skating.
I watched the playoffs and In "layman's terms", it was as brutal as usual.
Did the Canuck organization draft on the whim of a fad?

Big and heavy; Well that's getting boring.
Let's change it to small and speedy.

All rather farcical from afar.

My confidence level is down somewhat Not what I would have done in the draft.
Not only that I have to watch Bouchard in Edmonton,
now I have to watch Hanifin in Calgary.

The ball is being dropped.
Absolutely critical that this team made a major push for the playoffs, this year.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:38 am
Absolutely critical that this team made a major push for the playoffs, this year.
Lol they are nowhere near making playoffs with this scabby roster. You could add both Hanifin and Bouchard and they still aren’t within a dozen points of a wildcard.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

I don't know how good Botchford is at estimating human heights, but:

"Hughes looks like a legit 5-10 and has a pretty thick frame."

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... oplay=true
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Botchford is about the same height as the Dude. 5ft 7 at best. Hughes probably looks like an ape compared to him.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bubbles how do you see your smart phone beyond the empty plastic beer cups piled up on your "beer shelf"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:38 am
My confidence level is down somewhat Not what I would have done in the draft.
Not only that I have to watch Bouchard in Edmonton,
now I have to watch Hanifin in Calgary.
Better competition will provide better challenges and thus better players and team spirit.
Better competition will provide better entertainment.

Pacific was a disaster in 17/18. I want to see the division be the best in the NHL. And then when the Canucks make the playoffs, it will mean something.

The Calf teams are on the downhill slide. The Canadian teams and Arizona are playing like crap. Vegas is, well, Vegas.

Beating crap teams will not get you a Stanley Cup. Young players especially, need to learn what it takes to win game in and game out - against the best teams in the world.

Please, let's hope that Edm, Cal, SJ, Ana, and LA can get their acts together and put out consistently strong performances in 18/19.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m honestly wondering which team in the Pacific that Vancouver can finish ahead of. Maybe the Coilers?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Micky, you're not fine, fell down from a steep decline, Hey Micky! Hey Micky!

Listen Micky, skill, skill, skill, speed, speed, speed, kills

You plug in the meat and potato's later.

Bouchard's edge work, lateral skating, skating in general is not up to NHL snuff. The Oilers with the exception of 3-4 players are dreadfully slow. I personally would have drafted the excellent skating Dobson instead of the slug they drafted.

Hughes is a dynamic player, fast and skilled. Handles the puck tremendously. We need that. We needed that offence from the back end. Park Woo beside him and we have the next Keith/Seabrook pairing. Woo is an excellent skater himself. The future is here, Mikey. "Embrace it, nurture it, it will make you proud someday, trust me. I've seen it" - Al Pacino (Scent of a Woman)
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:34 am
I don't know how good Botchford is at estimating human heights, but:

"Hughes looks like a legit 5-10 and has a pretty thick frame."

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... oplay=true
Here's a photo of the top prospects together. Unless Hughes is on his tip-toes, Boqvist is hunched way down and both him and Zadina are much shorter than listed... I'd say Hughes is actually close to his listed 5'10".

Of course Hughes has the head and torso size of a 10-year old boy, so that may make him look especially small.

I can see that Bouchard will be threading cross-eyed passes to McDavid for years to come. Tkachuk has the frame to hit 280lbs like his old man during a lockout year.

2018 Draft.jpeg
2018 Draft.jpeg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dude could look up at all those kids
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hughes is bigger than Boqvist and almost as big as Zadina
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 pm I’m honestly wondering which team in the Pacific that Vancouver can finish ahead of. Maybe the Coilers?
I think that's a topic worthy of its own thread.

The first one that jumps out of LA, which got a lot of career years out of old, declining players last year to squeak into the playoffs and only managed to score 3 goals and 0 wins.