The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dahlin is the real deal, it's him then the rest.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:42 am Dahlin is the real deal, it's him then the rest.
He’s awesome. A franchise defenceman could really kickstart this team. We saw what Karlsson did with a bunch of scrubs in Ottawa. Hedman might be the best d man in the world.,This kid is supposed to be as good as either of those guys or OEL.

Dahlin is the clear number 1 but it’s a pretty damn good top 5 despite some people’s insistence that it’s a poor draft. Bovquist, Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk all project as great picks
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah the top 5 looks pretty set, I'd be happy with any of the 5. If we don't get lucky in the lottery and are drafting outside of the top 5, it gets real dodgy judging Best Player available.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If you fall out of the top 5 I'd heavily look at Bode Wilde, I know Noah Dobson been rising lately, but Wilde looks like the real deal.

Seeing as this team is free falling might as well think about 2nd overall - Svechnikov - got damn!

He and Goldobin behind Horvat - Boeser would be god sent, but we already have Dahlen - Pettersson.

Team really, truly needs that game breaking dman QB, their own version of Letang, Keith, Doughty - the former top tier dmen WINNERS of the Stanley Cup, they took their level of play to another level post season.

Every outsider is like: OK you got some decent forwards on the come up, but whose going to score on defense???
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I haven't been that impressed with Svechnikov. Will he be a terribly slow developer like his bro in Detroit. See the Stromes
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Get over it Ohyo, Buffalo and Arizona are on a decade long tank with no end in sight and Montresl and Ottawa have the two worst GMs in sight, we were hit with the injury bug to too many key players when they come back we will get on track. I predict will be picking between 9th and 14th. We just gotta hope that moron Chiarelli doesn't make any more of his patented stupid trades, we don't want to see Dahlin in Edmonton
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Looking beyond Dahlin and Svechy - right shot - Adam Boqvist is an elite QB worth keeping tabs on.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2018/ ... am-boqvist
Boqvist is your prototypical Swedish defenseman in every way, shape, and form. A brilliant skater with high-end agility in all four directions, Boqvist makes great use of his agility when maneuvering around with and without the puck on his stick. Boqvist’s edgework is very good, and he can change directions and cut laterally to open up the ice for himself. He has a very powerful first step, and can accelerate quickly to get to top speeds, allowing him to rush the puck up ice and avoid forecheckers.

The offensive zone is where Boqvist is truly in his element. He has puck skills that will bring you out of your seat, and can juke, dangle, and weave around the offensive zone with the puck as good as any defenseman in this draft class not named Rasmus Dahlin.

What I like in particular about Boqvist is that while his skill is obvious every single time he touches the puck, he keeps his game simple, efficient, and avoids trying to make fancy, low percentage passes more often than not. His skating abilities allow him to stretch the ice out very quickly, and to add to that, he possesses a great first pass out of the defensive zone to start the transition. He is very dependable on the cycle game, able to distribute the puck quickly and very cleanly to his teammates. He is very effective on the point, and he’s very good at keeping the play alive in the offensive zone. Boqvist’s shot is heavy and very accurate. Rather than fire it from the point, he will often carry the puck deeper into the offensive zone where his wrist shot is a lot more dangerous. That being said, he will still not hesitate to shoot it from the point, and when he does, he’s very good at getting the puck on net through heavy traffic.

His offensive skill is downright gamebreaking, and he can be difficult to contain when the pace of the game is fast. These assets could make him a team’s go-to offensive option on the back end in the NHL one day.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Conor Timmins, RHD, has been getting a lot of praise as defensively responsible. Average point getter but a Hamhuis/Tanev type.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm Conor Timmins, RHD, has been getting a lot of praise as defensively responsible. Average point getter but a Hamhuis/Tanev type.
Yeah the Avs' got a good one there in the 2017 2nd round.

--

2018 draft is the year of the defensemen! If you ever wanted a solid dman to draft - this is the year for it, trick is picking the right one ha.

I see the top 10 being something like:

D - Dahlin
Svechnikov
D - Boqvist
Zadina (next Voracek?Hossa?)
Tkachuk
D - Hughes
Kupari
Wahlstrom
D - Smith
D - Wilde
D - Dobson

Other notable dmen in the 1st round:

Merkley
McIsaac
Addison
Bouchard
Miller
Woo
Alexeyev
Ginning
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Watching this kid Petersson dazzling but built like wing night at the cat and the fiddle makes me realize hes going to need a kick ass wingman with some size and skill...Brady Kachuk. Hes gonna be a damn good winger in the NHL i reckon

Draft him and watch those 2 be a very good top line option down the road with Boeser as the triggerman

That is of course if we're out of the Dahlin sweepstakes
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Have not been impressed with Hughes, with his puny size he has to be lights out, very underwhelming. I think hes been benched in the Swedish game, he's a bit sloppy with his high risk plays.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:50 pm Have not been impressed with Hughes, with his puny size he has to be lights out, very underwhelming. I think hes been benched in the Swedish game, he's a bit sloppy with his high risk plays.
I agree there. His ceiling is where stretcher is right now :lol:

The other draft eligible swede boquist or whatever would be a good one although the real carrot is obviously Dahlin. Hes unreal
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

If Dahlin is gone, I want us to take Tkachuk.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Any of these 5

Dahlin Tkachuk Zadina Svechnikov Boqvist
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

*2018*

IF by a miracle the team can sign Carlson with the Sedins money July 1st, I'd be happy to draft Tkachuk.

A Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser line would be insane. :o

Carlson would finally give the Canucks a big right shot high IQ dman that can put up points & be a great partner for Juolevi.

Juolevi - Carlson
Pouliot - Tanev

That superior IQ top 4 D would formidable. CorsiFor% bosses.

In any case the team needs to draft a couple good dmen badly to shore up the weak D prospects.