The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 am Yes, all things being equal, you chose a centre or dman over a winger. Doesn’t sound like other son of Keith are in his plans.
But all things wouldn't be equal if Tkachuk was still there. :D

Jimmy will take Tkachuk if he's available at 7... I'd bet dollars on it.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 am Yes, all things being equal, you chose a centre or dman over a winger. Doesn’t sound like other son of Keith are in his plans.

Good point. Depending upon what Dmen are still on the board.
The only HW the Canucks need
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:53 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 am

Good point. Depending upon what Dmen are still on the board.
I'm not convinced either Tkachuk brother is really all that, plus there is a risk that he doesn't want to participate in a rebuild and goes back to school. If Tkachuk becomes the consensus BPA @ 7, I hope that Benning phones around to check whether there is another team that wants him badly enough to give up something appealing for the chance to draft him.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tkachuk is a mystery but for some reason there seems to be this unsubstantiated sense that he is falling. I find it hard to believe that he will still be on the board at 7. Everyone was drooling over him at the WJCs, calling him the next best pick after Dahlin but he’s falling to 7th. I ain’t buying it. I believe it’s all wishful thinking, yes there are concerns about him, but with his bloodlines combined with the hard to find combination of “tough” but with the ability to play big minutes in the upper portion of the lineup.

The one thing I like about the Tkachuks is how affective they are down low around the net in the dirty areas but in a fast speedy transition game they struggle
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:49 am Tkachuk is a mystery but for some reason there seems to be this unsubstantiated sense that he is falling. I find it hard to believe that he will still be on the board at 7. Everyone was drooling over him at the WJCs, calling him the next best pick after Dahlin but he’s falling to 7th. I ain’t buying it. I believe it’s all wishful thinking, yes there are concerns about him, but with his bloodlines combined with the hard to find combination of “tough” but with the ability to play big minutes in the upper portion of the lineup.

The one thing I like about the Tkachuks is how affective they are down low around the net in the dirty areas but in a fast speedy transition game they struggle
I agree, if he falls to us we need to take him. The Canucks are so desperate for sandpaper in the top-6. Tkachuk and Virtanen in the top-9 would go a long way. That said, I don't think he falls to us.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

So it appears everyone, save one sorry soul, wants Tkachuk if he somehow falls to us.

*shoots eye-dart at Cliffy* :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:52 pm So it appears everyone, save one sorry soul, wants Tkachuk if he somehow falls to us.

*shoots eye-dart at Cliffy* :scowl:
Perfectly happy if Tkachuk falls to Vancouver if he is intensely coveted by other GMs and Benning is able to parlay that desire into players of greater utility.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I think Hughes and Wahlstrom are going before the Canucks pick.
If so, one of Boqvist or Tkachuk will be available at seven.
Whichever one is there is who the Canucks should pick.
Someone else, perhaps Dobson, could go before seven, and both Boqvist and Tkachuk will be available.
In that case I’d take a chance on Boqvist’s upside over Tkachuk, but I’d be happy to take Tkachuk, too.
Actually, I’d be happy to get Dobson, or Wahlstrom, or Hughes, too.
Damn, I just had a thought, maybe I’m just happy, and should let someone else make this decision.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:37 pm I think Hughes and Wahlstrom are going before the Canucks pick.
If so, one of Boqvist or Tkachuk will be available at seven.
Whichever one is there is who the Canucks should pick.
Someone else, perhaps Dobson, could go before seven, and both Boqvist and Tkachuk will be available.
In that case I’d take a chance on Boqvist’s upside over Tkachuk, but I’d be happy to take Tkachuk, too.
Actually, I’d be happy to get Dobson, or Wahlstrom, or Hughes, too.
Damn, I just had a thought, maybe I’m just happy, and should let someone else make this decision.
Maybe you would be really happy if we traded for "ANOTHER" first round pick. :shock:
Then....

"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I feel like the darkhorses this top 15 draft is Jesperi Kotkaniemi - a big talented center with two-way capabilities is hard to find and winger Vitali Kravtsov (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018/NHL-Draf ... i-Kravtsov) superb skills but likely have to wait some years after his KHL contract is done, but he's 6'2 and got better in the playoffs.

A Chicago hf poster predicted this:

Buffalo - Dahlin
Carolina - Svechnikokv
Montreal - Zadina
Ottawa - Boqvist/Bouchard (RHD to replace Karlsson)
Phoenix - Boqvist/Bouchard
Detroit - Hughes (Michigan connection)
Vancouver - Tkachuk (Jim loves his meat and potatoes)
Chicago - Wahlstrom

And one of the posters responded with:
"I have been comparing Wahlstrom to Brock Boeser the past 18 months...how ridiculous would it be for the Canucks to have Boeser and then land Wahlstrom??? ****, that duo would be insane to have to stop."

re: Benning just responded with center/dmen hold more value, so if it came to that, they'd take Wahlstrom there.

Going off on a tangent, I think we need to do away with "Jim loves his meat and potatoes" as a lot of his acquisitions lately have been smaller skilled guys for the most part, Baertschi, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, Leipsic, Stecher, about the only 'bigger' guys he got and that are still on the team is Sutter, Eriksson and Gudbranson, Guds is literally the only meat and potatoes guy he has acquired LOL and he's getting shelled for that, but the team actually needs more of what Guds brings especially up front to help protect the skilled youth.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I might take Wahlstrom over Tkachuk. Rebuilding a top line with offensive potential like thisnkid is exactly what needs to happen.

Tkachuk plodding the wing<Wahlstrom at center ice
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 pm I might take Wahlstrom over Tkachuk. Rebuilding a top line with offensive potential like thisnkid is exactly what needs to happen.

Tkachuk plodding the wing < Wahlstrom at center ice
Fucking hell hey: Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Wahlstrom, Dahlen, Virtanen, Goldobin, Kole Lind, Gadjovich....LOL that forward prospect depth is no joke.

All you'd need really then is one superior right handed QB to feed em the puck + provide some bombs from the point, and a goalie on fire to make some noise on the road to the playoffs.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:12 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 pm I might take Wahlstrom over Tkachuk. Rebuilding a top line with offensive potential like thisnkid is exactly what needs to happen.

Tkachuk plodding the wing < Wahlstrom at center ice
Fucking hell hey: Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Wahlstrom, Dahlen, Virtanen, Goldobin, Kole Lind, Gadjovich....LOL that forward prospect depth is no joke.

All you'd need really then is one superior right handed QB to feed em the puck + provide some bombs from the point, and a goalie on fire to make some noise on the road to the playoffs.
Gaudette and Lockwood.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol facts hdubz. :thumbs:

Noah Dobson seems to be tearing it up at the Memorial Cup.
Watching draft eligible D Noah Dobson at the Memorial Cup feels a lot like watching Seth Jones at the 2013 tournament.

- Willy Palov, Editor, Red Line Report.
“Noah Dobson will be not only a top prospect for the NHL but one day will be a top player in the NHL, I’m pretty sure of it.”
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/157 ... oah-dobson