The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:43 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm He should be shooting for 9-10 picks per draft in a rebuild
Yeahno, we don't wanna create a prospect logjam. 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:32 am
Strangelove wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:47 pm A flip flopper in denial with a persecution complex and no sense of humour. :mrgreen:
Ohhh, you and your puppet were doing a skit? Why didn’t you say so?
YOU'RE my puppet on a string. :mrgreen:

Dance Blob DANCE!!
Lol I’m doing the bird dance
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina and Hughes are guaranteed gonzo by the time we are picking the 7th pick. Who is that last prospect who will go top 6 who won’t be available to us? IMO it’s beteeen Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Boqvist who go top 6. I’m going with Bouchard.

The Canucks will be deciding, between Dobson, Boqvist and Wahlstrom, IMO.

The pick - Dobson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina and Hughes are guaranteed gonzo by the time we are picking the 7th pick. Who is that last prospect who will go top 6 who won’t be available to us? IMO it’s beteeen Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Boqvist who go top 6. I’m going with Bouchard.

The pick - Dobson
My moneys on Boquist if available.

-He was top 5 until 2 weeks ago.
-He's Swedish
-He has elite potential (Dooby-son only has top 4 potential)

The Canucks(GMJB) really need to swing for the fences with their defense. Its a gaping hole and adding another avarage d prospect isnt going to cut it if we hope to be contending before Jimmy is gone
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina and Hughes are guaranteed gonzo by the time we are picking the 7th pick. Who is that last prospect who will go top 6 who won’t be available to us? IMO it’s beteeen Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Boqvist who go top 6. I’m going with Bouchard.

The pick - Dobson
My semi worry with Brady Tkachuk is that he falls like Gabriel Vilardi (ranked top 5) did and right to the Canucks who desperately need a dman, as Tkachuk had a poor points total until the junior championships when paired with mittelstadt, meaning he's not much of a driver of creating points by only does well with a high point center.

Liljegren was ranked high then dropped and for good reason he hasn't been that impactful since he got drafted & other junior Swedes dmen have passed him in the depth chart. AHL 2pts in 9 playoff games and 17pts in 44 regular season games, 2pts in 7 WJC-20 games and he's supposed to be a QB. - I think Boqvist quickly passes this dude.
Now having said I think Liljegren will be ok in time, but not so dominant.

Picking 4-10 this year is the hardest one to predict in a while.

(copy/paste from http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ )

Evan Bouchard
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/193 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: London (OHL)

Adam Boqvist
Ht/Wt:5'11"/168 lbs
Team: Brynas Jr. (SWE-JR.)

Brady Tkachuk
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/196 lbs
Position:LW
Team: Boston U (H-EAST)

Oliver Wahlstrom
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/205 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: USA U-18 (NTDP)

Quinton Hughes
Ht/Wt:5'10"/170 lbs
Position:LHD
Team: Michigan (NCAA)

Noah Dobson
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/180 lbs
Team: Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)

Joel Farabee
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/164 lbs
Position:LW
Team: USA U-18 (NTDP)

So it looks like we'll have no choice but to take Wahlstrom (always pick the best player available)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Stay away from Hughes because no matter how good he looks now, he is even smaller than Stecher and Biega.
With even more enforcement of rules, (to create more power plays), gonna need a larger fast skating defense man that can not only catch
up to the rusher but get body position and legally strip him of the puck.

Well aware how much that is asking.

In retrospect, we just may have to spend a hefty chunk of change and get it thru other means.

I know I wanted to keep cap space but this is going to be imperative.

We truly need another Jovo cop!

I know, $$$$$$$$$
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Have another pitcher of draft Fred
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

When it's really close, one rational tie-breaker for players this young is choosing the younger player, the reasoning being that they would have likely achieved less of their ultimate potential.

Using that logic, I hope the Canucks are able to select Boqvist (08-15-00).
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Picking a RHD would allow us to consider moving Tanev, perhaps not this year but next, or at the TDD if we fall out of it again. I’m assuming that that pick likely won’t be too impactful, if at all, for the Canucks this upcoming season.

Picking a LW shores up a need in our top six.

To me though picking a player who has the potential to play top six centre is crucial. We’ve lost Hank. I’m not sold on Pettersson yet as a top six centre, at least yet. And I’m not sold on Horvat being the number one centre. To me he is a perfect number two guy. In a perfect world anyway. By default he is the number one but I don’t think that makes us strong enough down the middle.

But I agree with the sentiment that you should draft the PBA. Fortunately we have a lot of needs :mrgreen: so whoever we get will be ok.
The only HW the Canucks need
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm But I agree with the sentiment that you should draft the PBA. Fortunately we have a lot of needs :mrgreen: so whoever we get will be ok.
For a team with as many needs as the Canucks, I think that at least part of the definition of "best" player is the one with highest trade value.

In that sense, for equal levels of talent: defencemen>centres>wingers>goalies

On the other hand, historically it has been harder to predict which defencemen in a given draft will turn out best. Does anyone know if there have been advances in scouting methods that would allow better prediction of the potential of 18 year-old defencemen? I expect teams are likely to keep those secret, if there have been.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:04 pm Have another pitcher of draft Fred
C'mon, Blob you have to know a quarterback D-man is the only way to really kick-start this team.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:04 pm Have another pitcher of draft Fred
Where do they still serve old style in the white line glasses again? The legion?
If you need air...call it in
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

While it would be nice to get a top D, I am looking at this kid Velano. Sure he is up front but he has size and talent. BPA.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:43 pm
Where do they still serve old style in the white line glasses again? The legion?
and you always order 2 glasses at a time, red terry table cloths, pull a thread and stick it in your navel so in the morning you know where you've been
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm Picking a RHD would allow us to consider moving Tanev, perhaps not this year but next, or at the TDD if we fall out of it again. I’m assuming that that pick likely won’t be too impactful, if at all, for the Canucks this upcoming season.

Picking a LW shores up a need in our top six.

To me though picking a player who has the potential to play top six centre is crucial. We’ve lost Hank. I’m not sold on Pettersson yet as a top six centre, at least yet. And I’m not sold on Horvat being the number one centre. To me he is a perfect number two guy. In a perfect world anyway. By default he is the number one but I don’t think that makes us strong enough down the middle.

But I agree with the sentiment that you should draft the PBA. Fortunately we have a lot of needs :mrgreen: so whoever we get will be ok.
Agreed on the RHD, which I think is likely to be our pick. Boqvist, Bouchard, or Dobson.

For LW, if Tkachuk falls to 7 he’s a no-brainer. Position of need and he’s a great pick at 7 - not so great top 3, but definitely at 7. I don’t expect that to happen though.

For centre, I expect that will be the focus of next year’s draft. Hughes, Dach, Newhook, Cozens, Turcotte all top 10 talents and all play C. I expect we will be picking top 10 again next year barring a major surprise.