The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm I’ve said all along to collect picks
Yep, all along....right up until page 46 of this thread.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Strangelove wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:43 pm The Canucks have had more "stars" at right wing than any other position, Bure, Linden, Smyl, Naslund, Tanti, now Boeser. I would not mind them focusing on centres in the draft even if the best ones are a reach. The Canucks have done okay with star right wingers, but no cups. Maybe they should focus on getting a star centre if they see any good ones. Winnipeg chose the best centre they saw when they reached and surprised everyone drafting Scheifele. The tradition of taking the best player available sounds logical, but good centres mean more to a team than wingers and can often play wing if needed. Good wingers have a harder time playing centre. And it seems to me that drafting defensemen in harder than forwards, this could just be my perception, but I won't be surprised to see any of the four Dmen that may be picked by the Canucks never become top 2 Dmen. So, basically I'm saying if Benning reaches for a centre, I wouldn't mind.
Canuck centres of the future: Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Motte/Gaunce.

(or something like dat dere?)

I get a Strange feeling LW Brady Tkachuk falls to us.

Teams above us will want some of those highly rated dee + Svechnikov, Zadina, Wahlstrom.

And we need a physical young top six winger or two moving forward.

(sign Kane as well and trade off Baertschi and Goldobin - one this summer, one the next)

Just a feeling about returning-to-college-next-season Tkachuk...
Tkachuk seems like more of a forsure top six than the defensemen top two. Certainly fills a huge hole on LW.
If he falls, I’d have no problem with the pick.

Your list of centres includes Pettersson, which is ideal. But from what I’ve heard from management they plan to start him on RW, and then see if he can play centre later. It is just my speculation, but it feels like they have doubts about his ability to play centre. Personally, I’d throw him in the deep end and make him play centre in the bottom six. He seems smart enough that he would adapt by mid-season. I’m just worried that the brass don’t see it that way and he’ll ultimately end up on the wing. If so we don’t have much for centre prospect depth. Gaunce either has to get more aggressive or more skilled to really add value to the club. I’m notte sure where Motte fits. Just say’n a couple more good centre prospects would be nice, so if Benning reaches for a centre, I won’t be critical.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm I’ve said all along to collect picks
Learn to read Einstein. I’d be listening if it was two seconds to drop four spots. I would say hell no to one second to drop four spots. What is it that you are having trouble with? Take [mod edit] and spit. It’s polluting your brain.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

In terms of current Centre depth, we also have Sutter and Granlund which would allow the Canucks to start Pettersson at wing. I think that Strangelove's list looks to the future if things work out. So, if Pettersson adapts well and is good to go at Centre then in a couple of years it could be: Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Sutter/Gaunce/Motte. Gaunce seems to be improving each game. I agree about Motte as I am not sure if I see him as a long term addition. Canucks are lacking in most areas so I would go with best player available at the draft.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker, I heard Benning say in an interview recently that the plan is to have EP play centre before long.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:43 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 pm
Learn to read Einstein. I’d be listening if it was two seconds to drop four spots. I would say hell no to one second to drop four spots. What is it that you are having trouble with? Take [mod edit] and spit. It’s polluting your brain.
You want the extra picks, but you aren't willing to pay the (market) price to get them.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

ESQ wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 pm You want the extra picks, but you aren't willing to pay the (market) price to get them.
I think it is pretty clear that, as a general strategy, Blob would like more picks to be (or to have been) acquired (as would I). That doesn't mean that every possible deal in which more picks could be acquired is a good deal or one that JB should jump to make (e.g. we could surely get a few late round picks for Boeser but that, in itself, doesn't equate to the deal being one JB should make).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 pm I think it is pretty clear that, as a general strategy, Blob would like more picks to be (or to have been) acquired (as would I). That doesn't mean that every possible deal in which more picks could be acquired is a good deal or one that JB should jump to make (e.g. we could surely get a few late round picks for Boeser but that, in itself, doesn't equate to the deal being one JB should make).
He wouldn’t know market value if he sat on it or it slapped him in the head
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

One thing you must always remember about the ole Sicilian - Roberto Macenzzi, he’s a flip flopper
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm One thing you must always remember about the ole Sicilian - Roberto Macenzzi, he’s a flip flopper
How so?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

A flip flopper in denial. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I guess they could trade the first for two fourths and certain people on this board would spin that as a positive move.

Other than DC4PM not one person has bothered to even debate this because they either know one 2nd for dropping four spots isn’t enough or they are being a fucking troll or a wannabe.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

A flip flopper in denial with a persecution complex. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cool..... so nothing to add. :roll:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

A flip flopper in denial with a persecution complex and no sense of humour. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.