The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by SKYO »

Say it again for the people in the back!
DHA wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pmThis year Ty Smith may go top 10 and played his Bantam at DHA - his character is on par with his game. Kid would get up early on road trips, eat his breakfast and start loading bags on the bus for his teammates. Was like another coach in the room.

Next Year - Cozens/Byram/Mutala/Willliams all kids that played in BC are going to be drafted first couple of rounds. BC and Alberta are going to be producing some top talent in the years to come because of the CSSHL. The hockey infrastructure is better than it has ever been right now in both Provinces.
Canucks main weaknesses in it's history, is the lack of scouting the WHL, maybe management made fun of scouts for scouting so close to home? like it's laziness or something? lol, that would be fucked up if that was the case, but IDK.

Ty Smith is a dman I've been intrigued about, if the Canucks drop back a bit to acquire more picks, Smith could be a target.
WHL: 67gp, 14g, 59a, 73pts.
He's been ranked from #7 OA to #14 OA.
Ty Smith - Elite skating defender whose upside is not far off from the top defenders in the 2018 class
-ISS Hockey 2017
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281814
Seems to be an elite assist machine.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What's with the tiny defencemen rage these days? Hughes, Smith, Boqvist, Merkely? I don't trust it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:08 am What's with the tiny defencemen rage these days? Hughes, Smith, Boqvist, Merkely? I don't trust it.
If we lose the lottery and fall to 6th or 7th, Noah Dobson looks good. He’s a D with some size, 6’2 or 6’3 depending on the source.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:08 am What's with the tiny defencemen rage these days? Hughes, Smith, Boqvist, Merkely? I don't trust it.
Steching thinking
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:04 am
Steching thinking
Yeah, it's nuts! The thinking is probably that smaller D-men will survive with all the new rules and the enforcement of them, however:
If there is one thing this game we love has always shown us is that it always evolves every 2 to 4 years, always.
Just really don't want to see a D-core averaging less than about 6 foot 2 and a half.
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Short or slightly built D might be just fine during the regular season, but it might be interesting to see what the average size of the D is on the last few Cup winners.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

SKYO wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:11 pm Say it again for the people in the back!
DHA wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pmThis year Ty Smith may go top 10 and played his Bantam at DHA - his character is on par with his game. Kid would get up early on road trips, eating his breakfast and start loading bags on the bus for his teammates. Was like another coach in the room.

Next Year - Cozens/Byram/Mutala/Willliams all kids that played in BC are going to be drafted first couple of rounds. BC and Alberta are going to be producing some top talent in the years to come because of the CSSHL. The hockey infrastructure is better than it has ever been right now in both Provinces.
Canucks main weaknesses in it's history, is the lack of scouting the WHL, maybe management made fun of scouts for scouting so close to home? like it's laziness or something? lol, that would be fucked up if that was the case, but IDK.

Ty Smith is a dman I've been intrigued about, if the Canucks drop back a bit to acquire more picks, Smith could be a target.
Ty Smith - Elite skating defender whose upside is not far off from the top defenders in the 2018 class
-ISS Hockey 2017
Ty was coached by Yogi Svejkovsky who played in the NHL and who is one of the top skill coaches in North America, he trains a number of pros like Cogliano in Richmond during the off season. Yogi has been offered pro positions from teams like Dallas but wants his kids playing hockey here. He just started the Academy at St George’s School this year and went undefeated across Western Canada with his Bantam team. Ty will play WJ For Canada, a very strong pick that Has had good coaching at Bantam and Spokane the past two seasons, he was the undisputed first pick two years ago in the WHL Draft. The kid is very intelligent, not just hockey smart. He would kill any interview and is as clean as they come off ice. Not as flashy as Hughes but projects as a top pairing D. I’m not at all against the Canucks trading down for more picks but I think it is imperative they grab a top D man in the first round if they fall as low as 4.

Next year watch for Byram who is killing it as a 16 year old for the Giants this year. Should be a top 10 d pick in 2019 Draft.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I predict Detroit will win the lottery and pick 1st over all.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 pm I predict Detroit will win the lottery and pick 1st over all.
:hmmm:
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 pm Canucks to score on this PP
oops
You're not exactly "on a roll" of late... just saying. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DHA wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:59 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:11 pm Say it again for the people in the back!
DHA wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pmThis year Ty Smith may go top 10 and played his Bantam at DHA - his character is on par with his game. Kid would get up early on road trips, eating his breakfast and start loading bags on the bus for his teammates. Was like another coach in the room.

-ISS Hockey 2017
Ty was coached by Yogi Svejkovsky who played in the NHL and who is one of the top skill coaches in North America, he trains a number of pros like Cogliano in Richmond during the off season. Yogi has been offered pro positions from teams like Dallas but wants his kids playing hockey here. He just started the Academy at St George’s School this year and went undefeated across Western Canada with his Bantam team. Ty will play WJ For Canada, a very strong pick that Has had good coaching at Bantam and Spokane the past two seasons, he was the undisputed first pick two years ago in the WHL Draft. The kid is very intelligent, not just hockey smart. He would kill any interview and is as clean as they come off ice. Not as flashy as Hughes but projects as a top pairing D. I’m not at all against the Canucks trading down for more picks but I think it is imperative they grab a top D man in the first round if they fall as low as 4.

Next year watch for Byram who is killing it as a 16 year old for the Giants this year. Should be a top 10 d pick in 2019 Draft.
A good number of draft lists have Dahlin and then the three forwards in the top 4. Yes the Canucks need defence big time. They also need skill throughout the lineup. They reached big time in 2016 to draft by perceived need and it bit them in the ass. BPA available. Start turfing older veterans for more picks and hammer the D position in rounds 2-7. Who knows a Tanev trade could easily bring back a first rounder and a good prospect. There are a lot of defencemen in this first round.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 pm I predict Detroit will win the lottery and pick 1st over all.
:hmmm:
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 pm Canucks to score on this PP
oops
You're not exactly "on a roll" of late... just saying. :D
First, if Sedin did not take a penalty they would of scored.

Second, Detroit, big city, needs fans, excitement. Too many Canadian teams getting first overall in the past 10 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 pm First, if Sedin did not take a penalty they would of scored.
First, it was Markstrom who took the penalty.

Second, it's "would have scored".

Third, so now we're in some alternate dimension where you were right? :crazy:

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 pm Second, Detroit, big city, needs fans, excitement. Too many Canadian teams getting first overall in the past 10 years.
First, the NHL is not that corrupt.

Second, if the NHL was that corrupt, it's ridiculously debatable that they would choose Detroit.

Third, this "prediction" of yours is pure buffoonery. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 pm First, if Sedin did not take a penalty they would of scored.

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 pm Second, Detroit, big city, needs fans, excitement. Too many Canadian teams getting first overall in the past 10 years.

Second, if the NHL was that corrupt, it's ridiculously debatable that they would choose Detroit.

Fuck off, I have not cum hare 2 got a stupod leson from you.

You my friend really need to get a life instead of being on here 24/7.

No wonder so many good posters have left.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I was wondering where reefer madness went :lol:

Still taking the chili dog on the chest from Doc daily I see...
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Fuck off, I have not cum hare 2 got a stupod leson from you.

You my friend really need to get a life instead of being on here 24/7.

No wonder so many good posters have left.
Easy big fella. Eeeeaaaaaaasyyyyyyyy.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau