Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 am This team doesn't make the playoffs if Gaunce is on it.
I think the problems for this team run a lot deeper than who is the 12th/13th forward. Like is there an actual 2nd line? Is Elmer going to add a couple of top 4 d men? This team constructed as is, is a garbage fire. It has a few nice young pieces at forward but gaping holes throughout the system. Pinning the playoffs on Brendan Gaunce’s role on the team seems a bit disingenuous
Yes, I think the Gaunce statement could be expanded to "The Canucks don't make the 2019 playoffs unless they add some key players not currently with the organization".

While they have a good chance to draft an excellent player at the 7th spot, that player will most likely not be ready to contribute to the 2018-2019 season.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 pm Petterson has played very little centre the past two seasons. When had Dahlen played there? MacEwan played the wing in Utica.

I was talking prospects. Gaunce will turn 25 next year.
This team doesn't make the playoffs if Gaunce is on it.
I think the problems for this team run a lot deeper than who is the 12th/13th forward. Like is there an actual 2nd line? Is Elmer going to add a couple of top 4 d men? This team constructed as is, is a garbage fire. It has a few nice young pieces at forward but gaping holes throughout the system. Pinning the playoffs on Brendan Gaunce’s role on the team seems a bit disingenuous
Not 'pinning the playoff hopes' on Gaunce specifically. I am saying that if the skill level is that low for everyone's else on the team that Gaunce still makes the team, we don't make the playoff because we suck that bad. If Ganuce is called up because of injuries, then we don't have the depth.

I am actually agreeing with you Blob, just saying it a different way.

Sorry Doc, you and I disagree on Gaunce. Yeah, he may look Not bad (compared to other 4th line guys) on stats, but he failed the eye test too many times. Offence goes to die on his stick, and for all he 'hits' they are more like mosquito stings.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

He is a very good AHL player. That's not a knock but that is where he should have good career, maybe even a "C" some day.
Possibly a call-up with a couple of injuries.
He is a good team-mate and would also be in the AHL.
"evolution"
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:22 am https://thehockeywriters.com/worst-nhl-contracts-2018/
Well hes definitely our worst contract and is right there with all the other shitty contracts so its a bit of a stretch to call it delusional.
Where is all this love for LE coming from? Hes been a total failure in his time in van...what the hell has he done to deserve this much respect?
There's no love for Loui. Also, I was responding to someone noting worst contract - I figured NHL and not Canucks. Anyway, yes he is stealing money from the Canucks but he is an effective player who is making over double what he should be making. Would I deal him for Lucic straight up?! No chance.

Anyway, I'd love to see some sucker GM take Loui off our hands. I also wouldn't be shocked if he was dealt and did well on a good team. He is now more of a complimentary piece and not a guy who can be a key cog on a team. Add to the fact the Canucks really suck and I am thinking Loui still could be an OK player if he had help...lots of help...
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Now that he has his brood (wife & 4 kids), rooted in Van., No-way he's going anywhere for two more seasons.
After that, he gives a list of 15 teams he won't go to.

I wonder why I have this vexatious feeling his play strikingly improves over two years.

Oh well, doesn't matter, I understand Jim Benning has taken a shining to Kenny Rodgers music.
"evolution"
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 am Now that he has his brood (wife & 4 kids), rooted in Van., No-way he's going anywhere for two more seasons.

I wonder why I have this vexatious feeling his play strikingly improves over two years.

Oh well, doesn't matter, I understand Jim Benning has taken a shining to Kenny Rodgers music.
Get over it ! We got Erickson to play with the Sedins.. bad move probably instigated by Sedins and Linden ! We are overpaying 3 million for 2 more years for an elite defensive forwaed.

Pipedream .... Tom Wilson from Caps for Baertchi , 7th , Gaunce.. Love to see line of Horvath Boesar and Wilson 😁
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Tiger wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 am
micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 am Now that he has his brood (wife & 4 kids), rooted in Van., No-way he's going anywhere for two more seasons.

Get over it ! We got Erickson to play with the Sedins.. bad move probably instigated by Sedins and Linden ! We are overpaying 3 million for 2 more years for an elite defensive forwaed.

Pipedream .... Tom Wilson from Caps for Baertchi , 7th , Gaunce.. Love to see line of Horvath Boesar and Wilson 😁
Overpayment there. Wilson is good, but he's not worth that much. That said, for the price the Caps would ask in trade, much better to develop our own - perhaps Virtanen will become that in time?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Anybody want Boone Jenner?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lancer wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 am
Tiger wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 am

Overpayment there. Wilson is good, but he's not worth that much. That said, for the price the Caps would ask in trade, much better to develop our own - perhaps Virtanen will become that in time?
I like Wilson too but that’s a huge overpayment. Tiger obviously doesn’t see this team has massive holes and needs to stop trading picks
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:15 pm Gaunce (he's a natural centre)
Shouldn't this be in the Utica Comets thread? Cuz I know the Great Strangelove is't saying Gaunce is a natural NHL Centre
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Yes to Jenner, and for the right price, Ryan Murphy.

Loui sticks around at least another year. Loui will bring Elias along, and Elias could easily breath life into Loui's game.

Two of Hutton, Granlund, Gaunce, Pouliot need to go to make room for the 4-5 rookies looking to make the jump.

How about Granlund/Gaunce for Niederreiter?
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The Canucks do need to move a winger and a left dman.
The two guys who should go are the ones that have already peaked and have no more upside, Gagner and MDZ.
If Benning can get a pick for each of them at the draft, he rockz!
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Gagner was brought in for his PP ability and veteran presence.

MDZ will be of more value near the TDL.

I don't see Benning giving up on either of them at this point in time.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

BladesofSteel wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm Two of Hutton, Granlund, Gaunce, Pouliot need to go
Selling low is not the best strategy for getting a worthwhile return. For a rebuild you want to develop. These four you mentioned at least have some small potential for upside.

Gagner may have been brought in for the power play, but he hasn't excelled without his old Columbus buddies around him. Still, playing with the Sedins padded his stats a bit and some GM might be dumb enough to give up a 7th rounder for him.

I thought MDZ had a decent season, so he might return something decent. But he doesn't have any upside. He is what he is.

Better to sell high and buy low than sell low and buy high.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tanev for Ryan O’Reilly

Then O’Reily to Montreal for their 3rd overall

Canucks pick Tkachuk at 3
Canucks pick Dobson at 7

Rebuild complete

Tryamkin returns
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau