Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm

we would suck forever.
I dunno dude...haven't we sucked forever already? :lol:
Lol. While I can sypathize with the sentiment, If I had some whiskey I would probably say (and debate) we have not sucked forever, we simply haven't won the cup in 100 years (or so) :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 am
I’d have no trouble keeping him for similar money for another year or two. Problem is Eriksson and Sutter are here long term, so is Gagner. And I believe that the twins will be back for another year. So that effectively would tie up half your forward group in old guys. Id like to see the team get a bit younger up front where in theory there should finally be some young push coming from within the organization.
Until this organization can push the likes of Chaput and Gaunce out of the organization, we don't have enough depth. we have room for 3 more young forwards next year (4 if someone kills Ericksson). Then if the twins retire after the 19/20 season, we have at least 2 more forward spots that year as well..

when you look at it from the angle of us needing between 5 to 6 forwards in the next 2 seasons, we have PLENTY of room at forward.

We are getting a bit full at defence right now, and I will use this opportunity to again push my "Trade Edler" agenda. With Edler gone, we have cap space for Gudbranson, and roster space for everyone until the end of the year.
If you bring back the twins and Vanek that’s ten forwards returning. Horvat, Brock, Baertschi and Granlundand the six old guys. Yuck. Doesn’t leave much room
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:50 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm

we would suck forever.
I dunno dude...haven't we sucked forever already? :lol:
Lol. While I can sypathize with the sentiment, If I had some whiskey I would probably say (and debate) we have not sucked forever, we simply haven't won the cup in 100 years (or so) :D
depends on the whiskey, lately I have like a Glen Dronach 12 YR
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. Doesn't get much better than that. My go to whiskey
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. Doesn't get much better than that. My go to whiskey
Is it sweet? Someone called it a desert whiskey
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. Doesn't get much better than that. My go to whiskey
Is it sweet? Someone called it a desert whiskey
I like a bit of Talisker myself. Especially when on a camel.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:52 pm Maybe Vaneks' emotion has little to do with scoring for the Canucks, and everything to do with boosting his chances of getting traded to a contender.
I think the emotion on that goal was to do with Minnesota buying him out.

He enjoyed sticking it to his old team
For that slight.

It shows pride and admittedly from afar (like literally half way around the world) or seems like there is chemistry going on between Vanek and the young guys on the team.

I get that there is a potential for a log jam with Erik$on, Sutter and Gagner but injuries are always an issue for the Canucks and will be again next year.

Plus islandnuck thinks we should flip him so that pretty much seals it for me. We should keep Vanek of course unless someone offers up a 2nd and a prospect
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I’d have no trouble keeping him for similar money for another year or two. Problem is Eriksson and Sutter are here long term, so is Gagner. And I believe that the twins will be back for another year. So that effectively would tie up half your forward group in old guys. Id like to see the team get a bit younger up front where in theory there should finally be some young push coming from within the organization.
Until this organization can push the likes of Chaput and Gaunce out of the organization, we don't have enough depth. we have room for 3 more young forwards next year (4 if someone kills Ericksson). Then if the twins retire after the 19/20 season, we have at least 2 more forward spots that year as well..

when you look at it from the angle of us needing between 5 to 6 forwards in the next 2 seasons, we have PLENTY of room at forward.

We are getting a bit full at defence right now, and I will use this opportunity to again push my "Trade Edler" agenda. With Edler gone, we have cap space for Gudbranson, and roster space for everyone until the end of the year.
I tend to agree. Boucher and Goldobin can get minutes right now, if Green eggs n Benning want them too. And, a late 3rd rounder for a 50 point guy is a joke. It better be a 2nd, or have a prospect thrown in.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Got a bottle of Highland Park's Valkyrie for Christmas. Definitely recommend.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tciso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:31 am

I tend to agree. Boucher and Goldobin can get minutes right now, if Green eggs n Benning want them too. And, a late 3rd rounder for a 50 point guy is a joke. It better be a 2nd, or have a prospect thrown in.
If by that you mean a 3rd rounder for Vanek, your right, that is a joke. It begs the question; What was the point.
Sure, 3rd rounders have been known to turn into something but the "odds" are against it.
Am I the only one who sees that the best "mentor" on the team is young Mr. Horvat?
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:16 amAm I the only one who sees that the best "mentor" on the team is young Mr. Horvat?
You have a good point. Time for Horvat to take on the mantle that the organization meant for him. If not the 'C' then give him a more formal mentorship role.

Vanek's value IMO is in mentoring offensive tactics to some of the young ones. I see Boeser's playmaking ability and his chemistry on that line and see Vanek's hand in it. Guys like Eriksson, though? Placeholders who are quickly becoming place-wasters as this season approaches the next one.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tryamkin, Lockwood, DiPietro were 3rd round picks by the shrewd Benning, thus I'd take the pick, suffer through the season, get a high pick, trade or let sedins retire, trade edler for a high pick(s), trade MDZ for a 2nd, decide who to trade for a power LW/C, move Nilsson for a 3rd.

Wam bam thank you ma'am, team is set for next year.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percenta ... t-1.206144

Refresher course, not that anyone needs one.

Where as Benning has found some gems in the last few years to be sure, he has also opened the eyes of other GMs and scouts.
It's not as though he can put a patent on it.
It will get harder...
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Vanek is working out as hoped when he was acquired. He remains a skilled offensive player, an asset on the power play, and has the ability to play wither wing equally well.

The vision (deal him at the deadline if the Canucks are out of it) shouldn't change because he is, well, working out as envisioned.

The speculated return (a 3d) would be lousy and I think it will be better. A 2d, or a B-level prospect added, etc. One market distortion right now is that goals are up, and it might be that journalists are speculating that the teams in the playoff hunt don't need offense. But that changes with injuries to players "slotted" in the top 6, when teams hit a rough patch, when GMs are smart enough to figure out that 245 is the new 220, or when the price for keeping goals out of the net is more expensive than adding goals.....
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 pm Vanek is working out as hoped when he was acquired. He remains a skilled offensive player, an asset on the power play, and has the ability to play wither wing equally well.

The vision (deal him at the deadline if the Canucks are out of it) shouldn't change because he is, well, working out as envisioned.

The speculated return (a 3d) would be lousy and I think it will be better. A 2d, or a B-level prospect added, etc.
Yup gotta think long term rather than short term gain, it's a blessing Vanek is playing really well here, as it increases his value coming from a strictly business decision, its like buying stock low and the stock does well - good enough to sell high, Vanek is a contender's superb target, high point vet, cheap contract, UFA at season's end, he's the perfect rental.

Same with MDZ and Gudbranson, solid depth dmen of varying skill sets for a playoff run.

I can still see a Sedin trade blockbuster last minute.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.