Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah and they found four top line forwards, a top pairing d man and a good second pairing d man in six first rounders. This is what is driving the team. By comparison Vancouver has 2 first rounders driving their team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jets also started their drafting in 2011 with Scheifele, three drafts before Benning arrived to Vancouver, also traded for Byfuglien before that in 2010.

Two years ago they finally got some lotto draft luck to get a 2nd overall & superstar sniper in Laine and it took till THIS year to finally make the playoffs and make some noise.

That's a what...7-8 year build? <- in line to what the Canucks are going through - JB is 4 years into it, so a 7-8 year build seems to coincide to what the Jets are going through now, helps if Vancouver got some lotto luck just like every Championship team has had in this cap era.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah fine. Then pull Horvat and Sheifle,Morrissey and Troba out of the mix.

Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovich >>>>> Boeser, Virtanen and..... and....
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ok ok, I'd like to see the Canucks in 2020 then, include the 2013 draft year as we can include the Winnipeg Jets top DMAN Byfuglien who was acquired in a 2010 trade via Rick Dudley the Thrashers GM.

7 years the new rebuild time needed to turn your franchise around, even Brian Burke said that on HNIC 5-7 years iirc is the time needed to rebuild your team these days.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm Ok ok, I'd like to see the Canucks in 2020 then, include the 2013 draft year as we can include the Winnipeg Jets top DMAN Byfuglien who was acquired in a 2010 trade via Rick Dudley the Thrashers GM.

7 years the new rebuild time needed to turn your franchise around, even Brian Burke said that on HNIC 5-7 years iirc is the time needed to rebuild your team these days.
does the 5 - 7 years line up with Mr. Strange?

If not then someone is lying. :?:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The point is Skyo that they aren’t missing in the first round. They are 7/7 and Vesaleinan looks like a stud.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson, all could be key components to a strong team in 2020.

You can laugh at Virtanen all you want, but he's showing flashes of superior speed, power and a underrated snap shot, he hit a ton of posts yo! ha

The just turned 20 Juolevi the infamous Euro two-way dman has yet to show what he can do.

2018 draft and offseason is pivotal moment in the franchise, I do hope they trade a few vets for picks so they can have superb 2020+ future.

Also the Canucks have better later round drafts than the Jets with Demko, Tryamkin, Gaudette, Jasek, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Palmu, Brassard(he'll probably sign this summer)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumours the Oilers might be offering Klefbom and 10th overall pick for Ristolainen.
Interesting listening to Rishaug speculating that the Oilers will go hard for a big name D; suggested Klefbom + 10 for Risto as an example.
I'd say the top QB's for trade avail could be:
Erik Karlsson
Justin Faulk
Tyson Barrie
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I know Island Nucklehead is a massive Klefbom fan but seriously if they are having to offer up the 10th ALONG with Klefbom to land Ristolainen who has some flaws himslelf says a lot about Klefbom's fall from grace.

What about Tanev for the Oilers 10th?

The Canes are in a good spot to rebuild from with Necas and Svechnikov on the way. Surprised they didn't add Hanafin, Lindholm, Faulk, Rask to that protected list. I'd be turfing everyone else. Skinner is just another Tanti, Skriko type, never was a fan of Jordan Staal. They do have some decent prospects coming along beyond Necas and Svechnikov like Bean, Fleury, Roy, Gauthier. But they are in a decent position if they clean house of the vets and start from scratch, not a bad base to start from. If Hanafin is available I'd say the leaves and Oilers are the front runners.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm The point is Skyo that they aren’t missing in the first round. They are 7/7 and Vesaleinan looks like a stud.
Good point Blob
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:44 am Yeah and they found four top line forwards, a top pairing d man and a good second pairing d man in six first rounders. This is what is driving the team. By comparison Vancouver has 2 first rounders driving their team.
Canucks :
2017 - Peterssen - lets call him a top-line FW
2016 - Juolevi - 20-year old prospect d man
2015 - Boeser - top-line FW
2014 - Virtanen - depth power-forward, McCann became a top-4D
2013 - Horvat - top-line FW, Shinkaruk became Granlund
2012 - Gaunce ...
2011 - Jensen ...

So Gillis went 1/4 in the first round (saved by the Schneider trade), Benning so far has 2 top-line FW, a depth power-forward, a traded-for Top-4D, and a 20-year old prospect D man.

And of course, if you replace Juolevi with Laine due to some actual draft lottery luck, the picture is looking even better.

Canucks' average 1st round pick was 16.77 overall, Jets was 11.57 overall.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm Good point Blob
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What top 4 d man has Elmer traded for ?

LOL you are referring to Gudbranson just read that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm Ok ok, I'd like to see the Canucks in 2020 then, include the 2013 draft year as we can include the Winnipeg Jets top DMAN Byfuglien who was acquired in a 2010 trade via Rick Dudley the Thrashers GM.

A merely competent professional GM, sure, but a genius ?

This time next year will mark five years since Benning was hired.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:27 pm

A merely competent professional GM, sure, but a genius ?

This time next year will mark five years since Benning was hired.
Four years into it and this will finally be the first offseason without the Sedins in the plans - with them retiring the youth will finally get some meaningful minutes next season under new locker room leaders and with the young coach molding his team into his implemented systems and work ethic.

If you really want a 5 year rebuild, then look for a MEGA defenseman trade to happen by the 2019 trade deadline or July 1st, 2019 UFA signing.

Otherwise wait for the dmen drafted to develop by 2020, patience vs aggressiveness (insert why not both meme)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

They’ve only drafted three decent young d men. They traded one, one they streamed like shit and he left and the other is a project at best