Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:46 pm Forget about Dahlin imo he's Sabres property unless the rare Lindros thing happens.

I'd say the Canucks should look for a mid-range team that wants to contend and trade em Edler or Tanev for their 2019 1st rounder (unprotected), so the Canucks MAY perhaps get another combination in the draft lotto to see if they can snag Giants Bowen Byram in the Vancouver 2019 draft.

I agree. Try to load up on picks next year and let’s have a draft party.
I am torn on this. Benning has proven to have a good advisory/scouting team, and a good eye at the draft table. Why would we load up for 2019, instead of trying to grab extra picks (in ANY round) this year? He seems to be money in the 3rd and 4th rounds, able to find some quality prospects.. give him more chances.

Trade Edler for a first and 4th this year, and Tanev next year. (and if someone wants Hutton, sell him now as well.. no point in seeing if he can work his way our of the doghouse when you have a pile up of prospects fighting for ice time. ship him now.)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

rockalt wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:32 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 pm Yeah he should have gave them two firsts and Bieksa and Biter. Would have set the team up for fifteen years instead of 3. Hedman is one of the best players in the league
Obviously that trade would be good for the current team but probably comes at the expense of the 2011 run.
Could have a been a stronger team though 2013 onwards, if you have a chance to nab a #1 dman especially at that age, you gotta do it, could have had multiple contender runs with Hedman patrolling the blueline with a somewhat younger Sedins, & not just the one hit wonder year. Well anyways all hindsight.

For now the team should be trying all options to reconfigure the defensive corps which is the main weakness of the team.

Seem to have a healthy young forward group all developing and the goalies seem to be in good shape for the future, just the D is weak, can't win a championship with a broken defense group.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am
rockalt wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:32 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 pm Yeah he should have gave them two firsts and Bieksa and Biter. Would have set the team up for fifteen years instead of 3. Hedman is one of the best players in the league
Obviously that trade would be good for the current team but probably comes at the expense of the 2011 run.
Could have a been a stronger team though 2013 onwards, if you have a chance to nab a #1 dman especially at that age, you gotta do it, could have had multiple contender runs with Hedman patrolling the blueline with a somewhat younger Sedins, & not just the one hit wonder year. Well anyways all hindsight.
Its a pretty crazy what-if scenario (and well-placed in the pipe dreams thread), but Hedman in 2011 wasn't far off the near-peak Bieksa of 2011. He averaged 21 min/game, 22 min/game in the playoffs, and remember that Lightning team got screwed in game 7 versus the Bruins to just miss making the SCF. Hedman was the #2 Dman on that team (behind Eric Brewer :shock: ).
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:12 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:46 pm Forget about Dahlin imo he's Sabres property unless the rare Lindros thing happens.

I'd say the Canucks should look for a mid-range team that wants to contend and trade em Edler or Tanev for their 2019 1st rounder (unprotected), so the Canucks MAY perhaps get another combination in the draft lotto to see if they can snag Giants Bowen Byram in the Vancouver 2019 draft.

I agree. Try to load up on picks next year and let’s have a draft party.
I am torn on this. Benning has proven to have a good advisory/scouting team, and a good eye at the draft table. Why would we load up for 2019, instead of trying to grab extra picks (in ANY round) this year? He seems to be money in the 3rd and 4th rounds, able to find some quality prospects.. give him more chances.

Trade Edler for a first and 4th this year, and Tanev next year. (and if someone wants Hutton, sell him now as well.. no point in seeing if he can work his way our of the doghouse when you have a pile up of prospects fighting for ice time. ship him now.)

Only because the draft will be held in Vancouver. We can close roads, set up beer tents and practice our non riotously ways.
The only HW the Canucks need
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

I also think Canucks should deal for picks in the 2019 draft. GMs tend to be less concerned about picks that far down the road and could let them go for less than picks in this year's draft. I like the idea of making some big moves when Van hosts the draft.

I'd expect more than a 1st for Tanev or Edler. Whatever the return is for those two, it should not include a player over 22. Picks and prospects are fine.

I don't know what Hutton's trade value is but if it's low then hang on to him. He has skills and maybe he comes to camp in shape. This season may have been a wake up call for him. There's no sense in rushing him out the door if the return is going to be so low.

At this draft, I'd look at what we could get for Tanev and Baertschi. I'd also see if Edler will waive and see what he can get us in a trade; if it's too low then deal him at the deadline.

There were rumours that Erikkson was actually being looked at by other teams. If that is the case then deal him away (I am sure the return would suck and we'd have to retain).

As far as free agents, it'd be a stop-gap kind of market for us. No big adds - the only exception is Tavares. If he agrees to sign with us in the 10mill range then grab him. I definitely would not go over that for JT as there is no need to create cap issues.

I do think Tanev will be moved at the draft. Lots of playoff teams will be fresh off a disappointing playoff run and see how Tanev would be a key piece. Edler may decide not to agree to a move but who knows. I'm hoping Baertschi and Tanev are dealt for picks and high end prospects. Also hoping Erikkson is moved away in an effort to get rid of that awful contract (the return will me minimal).

Goldobin/Horvat/Boeser
Granlund/Sutter/Leipsic
Gaunce/Gagner/Archibald
Motte/Gaudette/Virtanen

Edler/Stecher
Del Zotto/Gudbranson
Hutton/Pouliot
Biega

That lineup is looking ugly. I don't want to rush in Petterson or Dahlen etc. Let them start in Utica along with the other prospects. So, I can see Benning getting some low end players as stop gaps. Maybe some of the current Utica guys will be looked at as well. Gaunce really needs to go and there's a spot for the 13th forward.

The pipe dream: add Tavares
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

I too would like to see Benning have more picks. I wonder if a deal between Canucks and leaves which sees Tanev going to the leaves for Lilgegren plus might help both teams. I think I am botching the spelling of his name; but, Lilgegren is 6 foot and offensive-minded D like Hughes, Boquist and I think Dobson. No sense making the trade if Canucks take a small D-man in the first round. However, if the Canucks take a forward or Bouchard as their first, then a deal for Lilgegren might be worth obtaining as part of a Tanev trade. leaves are likely now thinking that they will be in the playoffs the next few years and wanting a Dman like Tanev. Lilgegren would grow with the other Canucks prospects. I wonder if the Canucks could have things lined up so that they could complete the trade after the Canucks pick in the first round so that they could get Lilgegren and the leaves 2018 second round pick.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 am Its a pretty crazy what-if scenario (and well-placed in the pipe dreams thread), but Hedman in 2011 wasn't far off the near-peak Bieksa of 2011. He averaged 21 min/game, 22 min/game in the playoffs, and remember that Lightning team got screwed in game 7 versus the Bruins to just miss making the SCF. Hedman was the #2 Dman on that team (behind Eric Brewer :shock: ).
Indeed it is a pretty crazy what if scenario but it's not just about Bieksa 2011 vs Hedman which I agree probably wasn't even that much of a loss either way. You're talking about also removing one of the Canucks' top goal scorers . Between the two of the, they scored some pretty big goals in that run. Not saying I wouldn't have made the trade, just pointing out what I consider the obvious.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Iceman2014 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:50 am I also think Canucks should deal for picks in the 2019 draft. GMs tend to be less concerned about picks that far down the road and could let them go for less than picks in this year's draft.
I think this is a clever strategy.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well if you want a big dman to trade for who could be available is Dougie Hamilton, keep seeing his name pop up, sounds like the Flames want in on the 1st round.
Hamilton I think is an interesting one,” noted Friedman. “I do agree with you that Calgary I think is going to do something. I think they’re going to try to get into the first round. I think that Hamilton is a guy whose name will come up.
I guess he's kinda weak in his own end a bit, has some giveaways, only has 83 hits last season, but he's only 24, big dude RD, and can put up some good points, he'd clearly be the Canucks best dman if they manage to get him.

I'm thinking the only way to get a Hamilton or my fave target for acquisition-Parayko (the new Tyler Myers from a few years ago-before the Jets made a big trade for him) will be something along the lines of 7th overall + Tanev + depth roster player.

Imagining this group next season to play with the young group up front? :thumbs:
MDZ-PARAYKO
EDLER-POULIOT
HUTTON-GUDBRANSON
JUOLEVI like Hampus Lindholm can play 40ish games in the AHL before going full-time NHL.

Move out Tanev and Stecher.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Forget about Hamilton there Skyo.

I mentioned before Bruins dealt him because he's a cancer.

And (<- eh Todd? EH??) now he's on the block again, no surprise there.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Skyo can’t handle a rebuild. Wants to piss away more picks for quick fixes. He has learned nothing from the Sutter, Gudbranson, Vey and Forsling blunders. Gotta have that instant gratification
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bub professes his love for Hamilton but Dougie is s known a-hole in the room. He’s so overrated. Not surprised they are shopping him. The Hamilton and Hamonic trades set that organization back bigly time. Peculiar trades when you consider how young Monahan and Gaudreau are, the future right? They lost their patience. The series against the Wilbrod/Bonino led Canucks gave them a sense of belonging amongst the elite.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I have no love for Hamilton. Hilarious that you think the Hamilton trade set Calgary back but the Gudbranson trade was wonderful for Vancouver.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hey Blob, Erik Karlsson and Parayko, they are hardly in the same category as "Sutter, Gudbranson, Vey and Forsling" :lol: :lol:

Those are the only two dmen (with teams that want to make some moves) I'd consider moving some big pieces for, and most notably to help out Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson and Dahlen etc while they will be in their cheap ELC years.

Because in the perfect world the Canucks would have went full Blackhawks mode and had drafted a Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook 4-5 years ago so they'd be developed enough by the time we got the snipers up front on cheap ELC, all so they can have a solid structure of Dmen behind them where all they had to was score a shit load.

As you seen the problems Toronto and Edmonton have, they don't have that elite dman either and it's costing them pain and cash.

The successful Canadian team Jets, they don't have an elite dman either, but they have a big, heavy and skilled vet defense, along with their cheap young guns up front with some vets.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:33 pm

The successful Canadian team Jets, they don't have an elite dman either, but they have a big, heavy and skilled vet defense, along with their cheap young guns up front with some vets.
Bufflin is for sure elite Skyo. He dominates
If you need air...call it in