Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 pm If you'd rather keep him, what's the most you would pay in cap hit and term ?
I'm hoping for something like $4M X 3?

GMJB did an awesome job with the Tanev re-signing...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 pm There has been speculation that Gudbranson is on the trading block. If he is moved, what would like to see in return ?

From an asset management perspective, anything better than a 24th overall, a 33rd overall, and a 94th overall would be a win. Do you think he will return that much ?

If you'd rather keep him, what's the most you would pay in cap hit and term ?
McCann and Asplund are bums, so getting a better return will not be difficult for JimBro
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:52 pm McCann and Asplund are bums, so getting a better return will not be difficult for JimBro
I think we've been here before, but:

- why is it too early to give up on 21-year-old Jake Virtanen, if we can be sure that 21-year-old Jared McCannn is a bum ?

- why does a drafting genius draft a bum (McCann) in the 1st round ?

- why do you expect a drafting genius would have used a 33rd overall to draft another bum ? We (yes Doc, we) all like to think that he did well with the 33rd overall in 2017.

- if McCann is a bum, what grade do you give Canucks management for drafting and developing him, and what does that do to Benning's drafting and developing track record on NHL players to date (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892&p=296470&hilit=grade#p296470)?

In any case, what would be the asset you would be looking for that would be an upgrade on said bums ?
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm GMJB did an awesome job with the Tanev re-signing...
I like Tanev's contract, but Gudbranson's agent may feel like he has more leverage.

Do you know whether Gusbranson likes playing in Vancouver ?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm - why does a drafting genius...

- why do you expect a drafting genius...

- if McCann is a bum, what grade do you give Canucks management for drafting and developing him
I know you directed this to Dude but if GMJB is in fact a "genius"

... could it be possible he recognized McCann as the perfect candidate for draft+pump+dump?

Is it possible Florida was trying to trade up from the 32nd spot in the 2014 draft to grab McCann

... and the genius thought "Hmmm draft McCann + pump + dump + trade him for The Guds".

Might a genius have been plotting to land The Guds all along?? (I wouldn't know how genii think).

Just trying to help you get to the bottom of this there Clifford.

BTW and no offense Cliffy, but you seem obsessed with the age old question: "Is GMJB a genius?" :)

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm I like Tanev's contract, but Gudbranson's agent may feel like he has more leverage.
Oh yeah no doubt, but still...

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm Do you know whether Gusbranson likes playing in Vancouver ?
Well he always says he likes "the room" but who ever knows for certain.

All I know is that he's good friends with Hutton.

I think they live near each other (in Ottawa) in the off season.

He has no roots in Vancouver...

It's a shame he has been injured most of his time here... and he says he's still not quite himself yet.

It puts Jimbro in a difficult spot as far as trading him... but it could help in a re-signing.

(which may have been the plan all along) :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm ... could it be possible....
It's a big universe, and many things are possible, and I'm not privy to the thought processes of genii myself, but wouldn't it have been of more value to the organization to just draft Pastrnack in the first place ? If Gudbranson was the goal all along, I'm confident Pastrnack would have returned Gudbranson in trade without the 33rd overall.
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm BTW and no offense Cliffy, but you seem obsessed with the age old question: "Is GMJB a genius?" :)
I consider the most fundamental questions of the rebuild to be "Is it in good hands ?" So far, I see only splotches on the canvas, and some intriguing colour mixes on the palette. Of course, that doesn't mean a Masterpiece won't emerge later.
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm Do you know whether Gusbranson likes playing in Vancouver ?
Well he always says he likes "the room" but who ever knows for certain....

...It puts Jimbro in a difficult spot as far as trading him... but it could help in a re-signing.

(which may have been the plan all along) :wink:
If Gudbranson won't sign at a number Benning finds acceptable, what would you expect (or hope) to come back in trade ?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:52 pm McCann and Asplund are bums, so getting a better return will not be difficult for JimBro

- why is it too early to give up on 21-year-old Jake Virtanen, if we can be sure that 21-year-old Jared McCannn is a bum ?

- why does a drafting genius draft a bum (McCann) in the 1st round ?

- why do you expect a drafting genius would have used a 33rd overall to draft another bum ? We (yes Doc, we) all like to think that he did well with the 33rd overall in 2017.

- if McCann is a bum, what grade do you give Canucks management for drafting and developing him, and what does that do to Benning's drafting and developing track record on NHL players to date (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892&p=296470&hilit=grade#p296470)?

In any case, what would be the asset you would be looking for that would be an upgrade on said bums ?
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm GMJB did an awesome job with the Tanev re-signing...
I like Tanev's contract, but Gudbranson's agent may feel like he has more leverage.

Do you know whether Gusbranson likes playing in Vancouver ?
That last question is rather important, no ?
To me, it means everything and the deciding factor.
If yes, IMO, keep him.
Doc's numbers seem fair.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The process of creating ones masterpiece is through trial and error. All the great masterpieces, no matter the type, are genius. Genius isn't just a single stroke, it's many, with more wins and losses. It's a long term vision, mission. The hints of the masterpiece are brewing before our eyes - Brockey Hockey is getting top 6 votes in 2015 redrafts, Petterson is getting top votes for the best NHL team affiliated prospect in the world. Hobey Bakers for Gaudette, voted twice the best defenceman of the month - Tryamkin, Linds insane offensive output the last 10 games, AHL all star netminder - Demko. Juolevi WJC play and excellent development in the Finnish Men's League, Gadjovichs WJC select. Dahlens insane offence right now. Do you not smell what the JimBro is cooking?

He recognized early that McCann will just mount to a hill of beans so he cut bait when his stock was high and returned a much sought after type of asset with youth in return. Genius asset management. McCann turned out to be a dressing room cancer, not news there. You don't want want that in a room of excellent young pros in Boeser and Horvat!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 am Do you not smell what the JimBro is cooking?
Smells great, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 am ....returned a much sought after type of asset with youth in return. Genius asset management.
So, to return to the point of this thread, if this much sought after type of asset cannot be re-signed at a price the Canucks ownership/management group finds acceptable, what is the value you expect to see returned ? In what form would like it (picks, prospects, players) ?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

McCann has an attitude issue that was having a bad influence on Virtanen and other rookies.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm - why does a drafting genius draft a bum (McCann) in the 1st round ?
He was the BPA.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm - if McCann is a bum, what grade do you give Canucks management for drafting and developing him, and what does that do to Benning's drafting and developing track record on NHL players to date (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892&p=296470&hilit=grade#p296470)?
Statistically, McCann was a good pick. However, his attitude is the real problem.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 pm If Gudbranson was the goal all along, I'm confident Pastrnack would have returned Gudbranson in trade without the 33rd overall.
Perhaps, but in the scenario above the theory says the Cats were fixated on the the centre McCann...
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 pm If Gudbranson won't sign at a number Benning finds acceptable, what would you expect (or hope) to come back in trade ?
Not sure if I want to go there in the Pipe Dream thread. :wink:

As I said, Gudbranson's value has declined what with all his injuries.

He has missed 66 of the 131 games (over half) since Florida... and he's still injured.
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Jovocop wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 am

McCann has an attitude issue that was having a bad influence on Virtanen and other rookies.
Isn't it also alleged that Jake had (or still has) an attitude issue? Wouldn't a "genius" know that picking two young guys with similar attitude issues might be likely exacerbate said problem?
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm - why does a drafting genius draft a bum (McCann) in the 1st round ?
He was the BPA.
Perhaps at that single moment in time but I think that most would agree part of determining the BPA (at one’s draft position) is projecting how that player will do beyond the day of the draft and how they will rate among their peers when actually playing in the NHL. Using those goalposts, it's pretty clear he wasn't the BPA (attitude or not) and, using hindsight, we can definitely say that he was not a "genius" pick. That said, JB has made some stellar picks but he isn't immune to making mistakes as some would have you believe.

1.... 2..... Cue Dude submitting that the 2014 draft picks were somehow Gillis' fault.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm - if McCann is a bum, what grade do you give Canucks management for drafting and developing him, and what does that do to Benning's drafting and developing track record on NHL players to date (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892&p=296470&hilit=grade#p296470)?
Statistically, McCann was a good pick. However, his attitude is the real problem.
Same response as above.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Something tells me Don is using his selective memory to help his cause. Love the story of Pedan talking about McCanns bad attitude in the room, labelling him a Lone Superstar. Jared didn't have much respect for his teamates, see Josh Ho Sang and this drafts Ryan Merkley for highly skilled prospects with known attitude problems. They all typically go late 1st round with hope from the team drafting them that they will out grow it. Talent wise they are usually BPA where tbey are taken in the draft

Regarding Jake. Jakes dressing room problems more about being naive than having an inherent bad attitude like McCann. I understand Jakes problem being is he's a bit derpy derp flakey.
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

In terms of BPA and evaluating McCann, he was generally expected to be drafted in the Top 12 I think. Button rated him as #8. McCann fell hard on draft day and the Canucks got him at #24. It may be that GMs were spooked by his character; however, once a guy like that falls to #24, it gets harder and harder not to choose him for the potential. Evander Kane is similar and many hope that the talent is worth putting up with the character flaws. It is easier to assess in hindsight; however, I don't fault Benning for taking McCann at #24.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Linc wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 am In terms of BPA and evaluating McCann, he was generally expected to be drafted in the Top 12 I think. Button rated him as #8. McCann fell hard on draft day and the Canucks got him at #24. It may be that GMs were spooked by his character; however, once a guy like that falls to #24, it gets harder and harder not to choose him for the potential. Evander Kane is similar and many hope that the talent is worth putting up with the character flaws. It is easier to assess in hindsight; however, I don't fault Benning for taking McCann at #24.
Except a genius should of known.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Four weeks till trade deadline! :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.