Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:... in the "help now" department Tkachuk was definitely the better pick.
Try to focus on 1-2 years from now...
I know reading comprehension is tough but:
DonCherry4PM wrote:That said, if I recall correctly JB said that he thought Juolevi was the BPA at that pick.

Implementing the "sage advice" above, I don't think we will be able to make a definitive judgement on who actually was the BPA for a few years, but in the "help now" department Tkachuk was definitely the better pick.
Judgement on BPA in a few years?

Hmmm I don't think you comprehend the concept of

"Best Player Available at the draft".
Interestingly enough, I think that most would agree part of determining the BPA (at one’s draft position) is projecting how that player will do beyond the day of the draft and how they will rate among their peers when actually playing in the NHL. Hence, the judgement in a few years.
Strangelove wrote:As an aside, weren't you one of the ones who were opposed to traveling the "help now" road?

(instead preferring to lose more games in order to secure a higher draft position)
If the BPA can also “help now”, I am not (and have not been) opposed to that.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

rikster wrote: Wonder what the fans in Detroit think of their GM's position on rebuild vs re tool?
There is a point here: rebuilds are not always successful. They take a mix of management (scouting and staying with the right core), sound player development, and luck. And only one of these -- luck -- can truly overcome deficits in the other two. It can also overcome strengths in those other areas.

And remember, about half the teams make the playoffs; half of those in any given year might enter the playoffs as legitimate contenders. And at least half the playoff teams are built stably, with enough talent at the right age and the right contract management to be difficult to knock of their perch the next couple of seasons; there is usually a significant overlap with true contenders. Point is, there aren't a lot of spots available -- certainly there are as many teams closer to a "rebuild" than spots, and the remainder of teams can generally get in if everything goes well.

As far as Detroit is concerned, their run was remarkable and is to be congratulated. I am in the camp that it is probably best to sustain a playoff caliber team as long as possible, hoping that an add here a surprise prospect there is going to keep the team in it (this is especially possible if you have great goaltending). But this view can get you to where the Red Wings are. They haven't really been a scary contender since Rafalski and Lidstrom retired. Their prospect system is decent, and the big club is geriatric and filled with iffy contracts that could be hard to move -- and the value is only going to be depressed because it is no secret they are cap hell. If a few of those pieces had been moved 2 or 3 years ago, that prospect pool might be truly excellent today with a lot to look forward to. If something doesn't break, I just don't see them going anywhere today.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Re Bo; Don't think we will know till at least tomorrow, but if I had to make a guess, I would say a deep bruise to the elbow or just above from the impact to the stanchion. Simply can't see anything else there.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Re; Tryamkin. Spoke to Russian media on weekend.
I wont say a thing. Let you guys hear about it, but, OUCH.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ried Boucher just put on waivers...
"evolution"
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

micky107 wrote:Ried Boucher just put on waivers...
Same day as , Florida who put Grenier on waivers and Colorado who put Joe Cannata on waivers.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Capfriendly optimistically has him in Utica already :D But, I guess we have to wait till we see if he clears. He played bad enough to clear waivers.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

So we have our first player who played himself off the team. In the Summer I was pretty certain he was going to be on the opening night roster, maybe not as a regular, but rather rotating in and out. Also thought they'd give him extra leeway to protect an asset, well at least one who has had multiple teams interested on the waiver wire. Guess he should have found a better fitness regimen than the one Kyle Wellwood followed.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Even when Tryamkin was in the lineup, he seemed to be on a short leash, and his ice-time reflected as much. Among regular Canucks defencemen, only Philip Larsen played less than Tryamkin’s 16:44 on a per game basis
A big reason why some players make and some don't. Prospects needs a coach who knows how to manage them in the NHL. WD shows success in juniors or minors does not guarantee any success in the majors. It also helps when the coach is not pressured to make the playoffs on a rebuilding team.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mondi wrote:I think a rookie, third round pick, who showed only moderate promise should know his role.
While I agree, it would seem there was more problems with a change in hockey culture and life culture that got lost in translation.

But while he was here, he was the only Dman worth paying attention to on the ice.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:
Even when Tryamkin was in the lineup, he seemed to be on a short leash, and his ice-time reflected as much. Among regular Canucks defencemen, only Philip Larsen played less than Tryamkin’s 16:44 on a per game basis
A big reason why some players make and some don't. Prospects needs a coach who knows how to manage them in the NHL. WD shows success in juniors or minors does not guarantee any success in the majors. It also helps when the coach is not pressured to make the playoffs on a rebuilding team.
That's true Reef, but with so many coaches moving around, and, new ones coming in, I've been hearing a lot of talk
along the lines of when your standing behind the bench of an NHL team, something just goes to beast mode and making the playoffs becomes an obsession and when it becomes that, you get to start seeing all the silly stuff like desperation
and experimentation line changes during games.
It wasn't just WD last year. About 5 others were at least as bad.

Honestly, we seemed to be absolutely winging it last year and I really saw very, very little evidence that we had scouted the team we were playing. Some would argue, that's important :bang:
Maybe, hopefully better this year.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Suffered Krutov disorder.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Tryamkin may have had his flaws, but he was, IMESHO, the most exciting player on the ice.

Each shift he had the potential to utterly destroy someone with a nonchalant bodycheck. He was such a monster, it really didn't matter if he lacked the Pronger-like aggression/permanent-intent-to-injure.

Guys on the radio today were going on about how we fans over-rated him, and he wasn't really all that great. I'm sorry, but for a rookie he was pretty damn good, he got better and better as the year wore on, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't continue to improve (even just incrementally) into a defenceman the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ESQ wrote:Tryamkin may have had his flaws,

Each shift he had the potential to utterly destroy someone with a nonchalant bodycheck. He was such a monster, it really didn't matter if he lacked the Pronger-like aggression/permanent-intent-to-injure.

Guys on the radio today were going on about how we fans over-rated him, and he wasn't really all that great. I'm sorry, but for a rookie he was pretty damn good, he got better and better as the year wore on, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't continue to improve (even just incrementally) into a defenceman the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.
+1

I won't read too much into a google translated conversation, but I still hope he comes back....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.