Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:How long have you believed you have ESP powers?
Strangelove wrote: Yeahno.... coach is taking some of the the pressure off a top young prospect there.
How long have you believed you have ESP powers?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Clearly he said to start in the bottom six, work his way up, and have a long career.

Now go home, you're drunk Miss Cleo!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm so glad we fell to 5th this year. Linden said if we draft 1-2 we wouldn't have selected either player that went 1-2. Its painful enough to draft 5-6 and moan because we didn't draft players ready to step right in. It would be unbearable to have drafted first and not selected......
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:Clearly he said to start in the bottom six, work his way up, and have a long career.
lol and that is not setting the bar low.

Cleo has the bar firmly up your ass.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

IN particularly owlie this evening.... :lol:

Did you also get your center ice notice today and already know you'll be 209 dollars poorer come Oct 4?
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Uncle dans leg wrote:IN particularly owlie this evening.... :lol:

Did you also get your center ice notice today and already know you'll be 209 dollars poorer come Oct 4?
Is that what they plan on stinging us this year? yikes.

We finally cut the cord on cable so I'm gonna have to do gamecentre via the Apple TV. $209 is a tall order but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the full cable package... not having an HBO streaming service is a major piss-off (thanks Bell).
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Low bar for Jake. Although clearly a miss for Genius.
Ummm wut?
The bar has been set very low for Virtanen. Green is talking of him being a "regular NHL'er" and finding a role (ie maybe Raffi Torres?). Nobody is looking for an impact player any more.
Not sure what you're snorting but none of that has any basis in reality.

Mr Green is simply preaching as a coach what he practiced as a player.
Island Nucklehead wrote: It's safe to say picking such a project was a mistake for this franchise.
Not safe to say anything this early in the game.

We're developing a different kind of beast here (than your Nylander/Ehlers).

And by "beast" I mean asshole power forward.
Far too soon to give up on virtanen. Some guys need a year or two extra to grow up while other guys need to work on their banter...

BJ queen ?

What's next, penis breath ?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:IN particularly owlie this evening.... :lol:

Is that what they plan on stinging us this year? yikes.

We finally cut the cord on cable so I'm gonna have to do gamecentre via the Apple TV. $209 is a tall order but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the full cable package... not having an HBO streaming service is a major piss-off (thanks Bell).
I wish i could ditch the dish and use gamecenter. Big drawback for being in the boonies is LTE home internet. 100 bucks a month for 10 mb/s max=ghetto internet
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ummm wut?
The bar has been set very low for Virtanen. Green is talking of him being a "regular NHL'er" and finding a role (ie maybe Raffi Torres?). Nobody is looking for an impact player any more.

Other 2014 draft picks, Nylander in particular, are already pondering Draisaitl-esque contract extensions. Nylander and Ehlers both have 60 point NHL seasons under their belts.

It's safe to say picking such a project was a mistake for this franchise.
Cam Neely produced pedestrian numbers in his three post-draft years with the Canucks before getting traded.... and we know how that story ended.

Todd Bertuzzi spent two years in junior post-draft, spent time in the minors and didn't become an impact power forward until about 6 years after his draft year. The Islanders' loss was our gain.

Moral of the story - asshole power forwards can take some time to hit their stride. Try not to write them off a-la Milbury/Gordon.

Virtanen may become the next Jack Skille, but he's far from there now - no matter how much glee such a prospect may give you as a means of justifying your hatred of Benning.

Hatred blinds, my boy.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote:Geez blob he was told to work on his defensive game...and still got those points!!!
Uhhh rats. The guy wasn't told to not score and turn into a defence only player. The lack of productivity is alarming to say the least. He has been regressing offensively for three seasons. Why not start him in Utica for the year and if he is playing well and putting up points , then call him up. I don't think if he plays five good pre season games and gets a few points that it should erase the abortion of a season he had last year.

As I thought Doc came up with no names of players who were 18 points forwards in the AHL that went on to become productive NHL players.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lancer wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ummm wut?

Other 2014 draft picks, Nylander in particular, are already pondering Draisaitl-esque contract extensions. Nylander and Ehlers both have 60 point NHL seasons under their belts.

Cam Neely produced pedestrian numbers in his three post-draft years with the Canucks before getting traded.... and we know how that story ended.

Todd Bertuzzi spent two years in junior post-draft, spent time in the minors and didn't become an impact power forward until about 6 years after his draft year. The Islanders' loss was our gain.

Moral of the story - asshole power forwards can take some time to hit their stride. Try not to write them off a-la Milbury/Gordon.

Virtanen may become the next Jack Skille, but he's far from there now - no matter how much glee such a prospect may give you as a means of justifying your hatred of Benning.

Hatred blinds, my boy.
Cam Neely scored 51 goals over three years as a fourth line player. He made the league as an 18 year old. This is a poor comparison.

I hope Virtanen succeeds but he NEEDS more seasoning , not 4th line NHL minutes
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Lancer wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ummm wut?

Hatred blinds, my boy.
Cam Neely scored 51 goals over three years as a fourth line player. He made the league as an 18 year old. This is a poor comparison.

I hope Virtanen succeeds but he NEEDS more seasoning , not 4th line NHL minutes
Different era, then. Goals were easier to come by. As it was, he was playing 3rd-line shifts as well, IIRC. The comparison is not quite as poor as you would have it.

As well, I recall Horvat playing some VERY sheltered/4th line minutes in his rookie year with some pedestrian numbers. Where is he now?

Coaching/management has been on record that they would like to see a 4th line with more scoring ability and being able to handle more minutes. This ain't Willie's team anymore. I'll give Green the benefit of the doubt for now.

Early days of camp. Virtanen has flashed glimpses of promise so far. We'll see where he goes. I have hope that he'll justify his spot in the draft and be that top-6 winger on a contending team - but it's up to the kid to do it.

"on va voir..."
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ummm wut?
Not sure what you're snorting but none of that has any basis in reality.

Mr Green is simply preaching as a coach what he practiced as a player.
Island Nucklehead wrote: It's safe to say picking such a project was a mistake for this franchise.
Not safe to say anything this early in the game.

We're developing a different kind of beast here (than your Nylander/Ehlers).

And by "beast" I mean asshole power forward.
Far too soon to give up on virtanen. Some guys need a year or two extra to grow up while other guys need to work on their banter...

BJ queen ?

What's next, penis breath ?

Never mind IN, he's a prisoner to his agenda. A shame really.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I've been extremely critical of JV the past year or so, but his jump straight to the NHL was an obvious detriment to his progress.

He's taken a huge blow to his ego, which was by all accounts, necessary. So the past year his confidence is shot.

He's taken the steps, seemingly, to get in NHL shape - which was priority #1.

Now to take the next step and gain some confidence so he believes he's an NHL player. The best way to do that is to start at the bottom and work your way up!

JV has the tools but he needs to put it back together. Start contributing in a defensive role, play physical, get some PK time. Work your way up the lineup!

He's not the type of player that needs to play in the top 6 to contribute, he can, and should, be starting at the bottom and working his ass off to play a more prominent role when injuries occur.

Doesn't even take a genius to know this is how you get the most out a player of JV's ilk. He's also scored at a 20 point pace in the NHL already, so it's very clear he was told to get his shit together, get into shape and learn to play 200 feet!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Plenty has been said about opportunity but the fact is there is maybe one lousy spot. That's it.
No matter how you look at it, to start the season, that's it.
Pisses me off and I cannot understand a couple of the latest signings.
Don't need to hear; Oh, but there'll be injuries and call-ups. Not good enough!
IMO, there should be no less than THREE openings, but there isn't.
Not a matter of impatience just a matter useless delay.
Vets, vets and more vets. What are they going to do? Mentor each other? :look:
"evolution"