Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:32 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:48 pm Of course Granlund will sign a one year deal. He has no leverage. I read somewhere that he would likely get 1.5 a season. Severe overpayment if so. If he wants more than 1 million a season tell him to take a hike. I would be phoning to see if you can get a 4th or 5th rounder for him. What is the threshold where you can bury him in the minors and it doesn’t count against the cap? That’s what they need to be able to do with a borderline guy like Granlund
I'd be fine with 1.5M. He's a versatile depth guy that could take a regular third line shift when the injuries hit.
Elmer needs to start lowballing guys instead of bending over in every contract negotiation. In a vacuum Granlund is fine getting 1.5. Then you add in a half dozen other guys who are overpaid and it doesn’t take long to throw the whole payroll out of whack.
More of your Vancouver Canucks are underpaid than overpaid Mr Negative.

I especially love the Horvat/Tanev extensions.

Lot's of cap room for the new core moving forward, there's no problem here...
I see a couple guys underpaid. A few guys on decent deals, a few guys on meh deals and some guys grossly overpaid. The idea is to get more good value contracts.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The only real bad contract is UFA signing Loui Eriksson, back when the owners wanted that quick turnaround after the Sedins were re-signed by Gillis and they missed out on Lucic.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 pm The only real bad contract is UFA signing Loui Eriksson, back when the owners wanted that quick turnaround after the Sedins were re-signed by Gillis and they missed out on Lucic.

Maybe Eriksson is the only real bad deal. I see five others that are pretty bad. And they have yet to sign Virtanen, Baertschi and Granlund or Bozak or whatever other slugs they sign in July. Save the space for 2019. Trade Baertschi and Granlund. Re sign Jake and sign some useful vets to one year deals.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If Granlund could be MORE, effective at center, even 49-51 pct., that would garner a better paycheck.
As it is, with the way he's been, I would offer him 1.1 but put in a couple of bonus clauses.
Not to be considered a slap in the face, more like a kick in the ass..
He seems a little, um, comfy at times.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:48 pm Of course Granlund will sign a one year deal. He has no leverage. I read somewhere that he would likely get 1.5 a season. Severe overpayment if so. If he wants more than 1 million a season tell him to take a hike. I would be phoning to see if you can get a 4th or 5th rounder for him. What is the threshold where you can bury him in the minors and it doesn’t count against the cap? That’s what they need to be able to do with a borderline guy like Granlund
I'd be fine with 1.5M. He's a versatile depth guy that could take a regular third line shift when the injuries hit.
Elmer needs to start lowballing guys instead of bending over in every contract negotiation. In a vacuum Granlund is fine getting 1.5. Then you add in a half dozen other guys who are overpaid and it doesn’t take long to throw the whole payroll out of whack.
In an ideal world, sure I agree, but Granlund has proven that he is a capable NHL player and guys that can take a regular shift are all getting over a million these days.

Caggiula (20 pts in 67 games - with plenty of McDavid time) got $1.5M. Joakim Nordstrom (7 pts in 75 games) got $1.2M; Johan Larsson (17 in 80) got $1.475. So yeah, a "good" deal for Benning is in that low 1's range, and a "bad" deal is anything pushing $2M.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:12 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 pm The only real bad contract is UFA signing Loui Eriksson, back when the owners wanted that quick turnaround after the Sedins were re-signed by Gillis and they missed out on Lucic.

Maybe Eriksson is the only real bad deal. I see five others that are pretty bad. And they have yet to sign Virtanen, Baertschi and Granlund or Bozak or whatever other slugs they sign in July. Save the space for 2019. Trade Baertschi and Granlund. Re sign Jake and sign some useful vets to one year deals.
Blob what are the other five bad ones in your opinion? Gagner, Gudbranson who else?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:50 am

Blob what are the other five bad ones in your opinion? Gagner, Gudbranson who else?
Hutton, Sutter and Nilsson. I get that teams have bad deals. I just want to minimize the ones we have. In fairnesss to Sutter he was much better this past year than previously. He’s still overpaid but he’s one of the few forwards o bathe team that can actually defend.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:08 am

Hutton, Sutter and Nilsson. I get that teams have bad deals. I just want to minimize the ones we have. In fairnesss to Sutter he was much better this past year than previously. He’s still overpaid but he’s one of the few forwards o bathe team that can actually defend.
I agree with buttons, Nilsson was looking decent last year in buffalo and he looked good initially here as well. Something happened there not sure what. But as for Sutter, Gagner, and guddy, the only one of those I really dislike is Gagner, however for the term on it and the fact he’s playing on a shitty team with a bunch of young guys he was gonna get more than he was worth.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Like we really need a better goalie coach!!! Come on Trev. I know your out there somewhere.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

When we played the coilers i found myself hoping kassian would grind his face on the boards again like that preseason game however many years ago...
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:08 am

Hutton's contract is only terrible because of the season he had last year. He has 1 year left and makes $1M less than Pizza Sbisa did. Even the league minimum would have been bad for him last year because of what a liability he was.

Both of our goaltenders were overpaid last season, but when we have only tied up $6M total in our goaltenders it's not that bad.....but he's in the same boat as Hutton, a terrible season.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Like I say, mentors climbing aboard a rebuild command a premium, and none of those will affect the new core salary structure.

The Horvat contract was key, well done Lord Benning...
____
Try to focus on someday.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Just recently I read an article on coach Green's wishlist and yadda yadda. It was all straightforward and so on but I couldnt help but feel a little concerned when he alluded to Gagner as improving in the latter part of last season, and will likely be a stabilizing influence on the rookies next year.

Maybe I'm off here, but i thought, 'WTH, of all the players that I would like to see Benning make a move on, but.....' It looks like that's not going to be the case. It appears that Green has already been informed about Benning's intent; probably not a lot of teams out there that would want to take on Gag's shitty contract. There's lots that im looking fwd to this coming season, and some things, not so much.
cc oldtimer
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:24 pm Just recently I read an article on coach Green's wishlist and yadda yadda. It was all straightforward and so on but I couldnt help but feel a little concerned when he alluded to Gagner as improving in the latter part of last season, and will likely be a stabilizing influence on the rookies next year.

Maybe I'm off here, but i thought, 'WTH, of all the players that I would like to see Benning make a move on, but.....' It looks like that's not going to be the case. It appears that Green has already been informed about Benning's intent; probably not a lot of teams out there that would want to take on Gag's shitty contract. There's lots that im looking fwd to this coming season, and some things, not so much.
Interesting.

Perhaps Skyo was right, perhaps Sammy will be the centre for Dahlen/Pett.

(until Pettersson is ready to take the reins)

Looking at his numbers now, I see they all jumped over his last 16 games.

And I can remember being surprised by a few of his moves in those games along with some nice stickhandling, playmaking...

Baer/Goldie – Horvat – Boeser
Dahlen – Gagner – Pettersson
Eriksson – Sutter – Virtanen
Lipstick – Gaudette - Gaunce
Granlund

Baer/Goldie – trade one

OR

Baer/Goldie – Horvat – Boeser
Dahlen – Gagner – Pettersson
Lipstick – Sutter – Virtanen
Gaunce – Gaudette - Reaves
Granlund

Trade Eriksson, love that Lipstick...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

hee hee... I just looked over Gagner's fighting history at hockeyfights.

Seems he averages one fight per year and has only lost twice according to them.

They say he beat Kesler, Jokinen, and Chiasson.

So yeah, he can protect the young swedes. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.