Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Cornuck »

#Canucks recall Nikolay Goldobin from the Utica Comets.

Goldobin, 22, has led the Comets in scoring in 2017.18, collecting 19 points (7-12-19) in 18 games played. He also shares the team lead in power play goals (four).

Maybe we'll see him in the early game?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Is there an injury up front Corny ? I guess Sutter is hurt so they need a warm body in the press box
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Is there an injury up front Corny ? I guess Sutter is hurt so they need a warm body in the press box
Don't know of anyone sitting out today - but it would be nice to see what the kid can do.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I don't understand why someone called up should bypass the guy who has been toilingng in practice, toeing the line and sitting in the press box for games.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don’t totally disagree with that, but if that’s what they want to do then call up Megna and he can be the guy that sits out and watches the game with Biega. It’s like playing Virtanen 8 min a night. If he isnt good enough to play 12 or 13 min , send his ass to Utica and grab a scrub off waivers to play the 8 min. Next year Jake has to clear waivers to be sent down.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Virtanen gets 10 min of ice time , a team low after he is one of the best players on the ice for either team and scores a goal. What a fucking joke.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Virtanen gets 10 min of ice time , a team low after he is one of the best players on the ice for either team and scores a goal. What a fucking joke.
Tending to agree blob...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

rats19 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Virtanen gets 10 min of ice time , a team low after he is one of the best players on the ice for either team and scores a goal. What a fucking joke.
Tending to agree blob...
On the bright side, we actually had a Virtanen sighting in the 3rd period! (but only because Dor-Sut was unavailable)

The kid more than held his head above water... on a checking line. Scores a laser and on one shift, literally generated like 5 shot attempts by himself.

10 minutes and no shootout attempt.

Go with the hot hand Greener? Nope. Jake's got to learn (maybe not to go anywhere near Mrs. Green?)
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Tending to agree blob...
Go with the hot hand Greener? Nope.
I usually don't criticize :mrgreen: much

... but I have to agree here.

(in fact I was ranting about it at the time)

He puts Hutton + Granlund in the SO over Eriksson + Virtanen? :crazy:

I also ranted a bit about starting Marxtrom over the red-hot Nilsson

... but then I heard Nilsson is a little under the weather.
____
Try to focus on someday.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Jake Virtanen played 10:01 had 5 shots on goal 9 attempted was a +1 scored a goal and had 2 hits... I am not saying he is the greatest thing since sliced bread he is far from perfect but when he has more points on the season than Granlund, and has the same amount of points than Sutter and plays less minutes I scratch my head... He leads Canuck forwards in +- on the season but he cannot be trusted strange, hell he has 1 less point than Nick Ritchie who averages 15 min a game and more goals and points than Kassian who has played in more games

If 18 averaged 15 min a game could he hit 15-20 goals here? I am not sure but I would like to see him with Gagner minutes who has a whopping 3 more points and is a - 7 at this stage of the year...

I just wanna see it cause my fear now is I am going to see it elsewhere in another uniform... There is something there I dunno how much but I just wish they let him play ... Speaking of shootout attempts fast forward to 6:40 just gonna leave this one here... This kid doesn't have a ton of highlights but the ones he does have are BAR DOWN...

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Right now, the way Eriksson is playing since coming back, is the best I've seen him play here yet.
Maybe Jake and him could be a pretty good line.
Believe it or not, what I'm seeing right now, maybe Gaunce could center them.

Question; I should know this but I don't. With the second face-off infraction causing a penalty.
Is Manny working with ALL the forwards in taking face-offs ?
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jake has definitely earned his ice time. That was some wicked goal he scored. Can't believe he didn't get a chance in OT or the shoot out. Green really wants him humbled I guess???

As for Goldobin I think they really want to get him into the line up and see what he can do. Honestly Boeser has looked tired these last two games. Whether he is under the weather or its early season fatigue who knows but he has slowed down. Hard to take him out of the line up but I don't know who Goldobin would sub in for. Hopefully not Jake.

Add me to the chorus of fans who wants to see Boeser, Virtanen and Goldobin all in during the same game!
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Jake does not kill penalties or play the power play so look at even strength ice time. He played a minute less than linemate Granlund and 1.5 minutes less than Gaunce at even strength. I can't find OT ice time to split that out unfortunately

There were 3 penalties in the game, five minutes of OT, so 61 minutes of even strength time or roughly 15 minutes of even strength time if you were to allocate it evenly across four lines.

Ten minutes for Jake may be a shift or two low but depending on the game situation/line matching, it is not out of line. The surprise is only 12.5 minutes for Vanek and the 14 3/4 minutes for Gagne.

Baby steps for Jake's ice time. I recall similar arguments about Bo and Ho.

Oh......and the lil' trojan trailed the D with only 14.5 minutes even strength and none on the PP.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Green is really watching players times on all 4 lines. He may/should modify time for players to award players who are playing well in the game. In Jakes case Green is very quick to bench him when he playing well so he should reward him when he one of the best players on the ice.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's all interesting to see things unfold but even at this point in this 17/18 year, it's an ever evolving situation.
Takes a while to find the combinations that work well in a game, not just practice.
In addition, who you are playing against on a given night. Throw in that Green is new to the big bench too.
I do seriously think we are taking a run at a playoff spot but if we just miss by a bit, it won't bother me.
The games, I think, are trending in a more entertaining direction then the last 2 years.
Think this is fun? Wait till next season.
"evolution"