Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by olpaddy »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:26 pm So the Canucks, and Gudbranson, knew early on that there was a possibility he would require off season surgery. He was first hurt Nov 22/17. This means that any potential trade partners would also know.

It explains, again, his on ice struggles.
It explains the reluctance of teams to trade for him or offer much by way of trade.
It explains his new contract with the Canucks. I thought he would get more, and a longer term.

I also heard today, that absent a new contract, Gudbranson’s agent hinted strongly that he may need to shut it down much earlier in order to be recovered for July 1st. Not a threat but a pointed suggestion as to what was in his clients best interest.

So, it seems, Benning made the best of a bad situation and is still positioned, absent trade protection, to trade Gudbranson down the road if it comes to that.

Regardless, here is hoping he has successful surgery and makes a full recovery. Hoping he comes to camp loaded for bear. Always wondered what that means, loaded for bear. Anyone?
Is he going to be healthy enough for camp? This surgery and recovery sounds long term have u heard anything concrete?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:26 pm
It explains his new contract with the Canucks. I thought he would get more, and a longer term.
I’m not sure it explains his new contract. But I agree, U also thought he’d get more but I’m fairly certain we both thought this for different reasons.

I dunno Blob. I thought he’d get more simply because of his pending UFA status. I certainly haven’t seen a 5-6 + million dollar Dman in him. I think that has us thinking the same thing, no?
I thought he’d get more simply because he was negotiating with Elmer
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No paddy, I haven’t heard anything concrete other than they expect him ready for the start of the season. So not camp? Could be late Oct early Nov? But just guessing as no one has issued a prognosis yet and I doubt they do until after surgery.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:26 pm
I’m not sure it explains his new contract. But I agree, U also thought he’d get more but I’m fairly certain we both thought this for different reasons.

I dunno Blob. I thought he’d get more simply because of his pending UFA status. I certainly haven’t seen a 5-6 + million dollar Dman in him. I think that has us thinking the same thing, no?
I thought he’d get more simply because he was negotiating with Elmer
LOL.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm No paddy, I haven’t heard anything concrete other than they expect him ready for the start of the season. So not camp? Could be late Oct early Nov? But just guessing as no one has issued a prognosis yet and I doubt they do until after surgery.
In my experience and from what I've heard, shoulders don't show up well in the non-invasive imaging technology, so they probably aren't even really sure what's wrong until they go in to fix it. And then they don't know how well the repair went until they try it. So yes, a reliable prognosis would be impossible until after the surgery. Do we know who's doing the surgery ?
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm
It goes to show that unless we see behind the curtain all the belly aching is for naught.
You are almost certainly right, but if we actually took that to heart, the Canucks Corner Chat content would drop by about 75%. I don't think that would be good for site traffic.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm It goes to show that unless we see behind the curtain all the belly aching is for naught.
You are almost certainly right, but if we actually took that to heart, the Canucks Corner Chat content would drop by about 75%. I don't think that would be good for site traffic.
Wait... 75% of our site is belly aching? :(

Oh well, still better than the 99% at that other site. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm It goes to show that unless we see behind the curtain all the belly aching is for naught.
Wait... 75% of our site is belly aching? :(
Just this forum. Probably less in the others. And i prefer "insightful critical analysis" [of woefully inadequate information], thank you. :D
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Okay Cliffy... "insightful critical analysis of woefully inadequate information".

I can work with that. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Message to Rocky: I am so sorry I wont be able to take that 20 bucks off you.
See, I knew that Granny was going to light up the last 3 weeks of the season with 38 or so points but that damn freak long term injury
just buggered up everything. OH WELL !!!

Now to be honest: The guy has been a total bust this year and devalued himself horridly.
What can we get for him now?
Don't look good... :(
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 pm Gudbranson, already playing on a "show me" deal is wounded and Genius Jim signs him to another "show me" deal, slightly longer term and no trade protection, upping the trade value of a healthy Gudbranson.

Genius Jim.
Gudbranson has played wounded on "show me" deals for most of his 400+ NHL games. At what point does a "show me" deal become a "what we see is what we get" deal?

Not that his extension is as nearly as bad as Sutter's, but all the talk of untapped potential in a veteran player sounds eerily similar.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:34 pm
Topper wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 pm Gudbranson, already playing on a "show me" deal is wounded and Genius Jim signs him to another "show me" deal, slightly longer term and no trade protection, upping the trade value of a healthy Gudbranson.

Genius Jim.
Gudbranson has played wounded on "show me" deals for most of his 400+ NHL games. At what point does a "show me" deal become a "what we see is what we get" deal?

Not that his extension is as nearly as bad as Sutter's, but all the talk of untapped potential in a veteran player sounds eerily similar.
You might be right IN. Hopefully though, if he doesn’t look to be a keeper, he is more tradeable now, for at least what we gave up anyway. His value maybe become paramount though as we add smaller more skilled players.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

micky107 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:20 pm Message to Rocky: I am so sorry I wont be able to take that 20 bucks off you.
See, I knew that Granny was going to light up the last 3 weeks of the season with 38 or so points but that damn freak long term injury
just buggered up everything. OH WELL !!!

Now to be honest: The guy has been a total bust this year and devalued himself horridly.
What can we get for him now?
Don't look good... :(
This is the third year running ive questioned the firing of the old mike Burnstein training/medical team. Man games lost has been abysmal ever since, even by Canuck standards. Its become more of a trend than an anomaly.

Despite a shite year I think they should keep Granny as hes more versatile and perhaps try and peddle Baerstchi.

As for the $20, if u feel so inclined please just donate it to the site. Not sure how u go about doing that but Im sure someone here can help us out with a link or something.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

According to Rotoworld, Boeser has been removed from IR.

Link
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:10 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Genius Jim.

You might be right IN. Hopefully though, if he doesn’t look to be a keeper, he is more tradeable now, for at least what we gave up anyway. His value maybe become paramount though as we add smaller more skilled players.
lol you think he is tradeable for at least what we have up? You aren’t getting a 33rd overall pick and a recent 1st for Gudbranson.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/status ... 6148396032
@patersonjeff

no photo, but an amazing sight in #Canucks room post-game as Tanev came waddling through with 2 giants ice packs strapped to each leg like goalie pads. Could barely walk...
https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/977628450465792001
@Canucks

#Canucks recall Ashton Sautner from @UticaComets under emergency conditions.
____
Try to focus on someday.