Competitive and/or Contending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Competitive and/or Contending

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: The corner will be turned if the prospects turn into NHL players. Until that time, we're really all in the dark and just hoping someone turns on the light.
When that happens, the Corner will be turned on. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote:I can't help but suspect you're being purposely obtuse...
The question of projecting has been raised, but no, I will just admit that my hockey knowledge pales before yours and I need extra guidance.
Strangelove wrote:As for "what round of the playoffs"... that is not relevant.
Playoff performance is not relevant ? Well, that certainly gets full points for a bold assertion.
Strangelove wrote:But I already "quantified" plenty. :eh:

(time-frame, how good the team will be, how big of a role young players will play)
1) Time frame: 2018-2019 -- check
2) How good the team will be:
a) good enough to make the playoffs -- well, that establishes a minimum
b) "look good" -- not so quantifiable
3) how big a role young players will play -- sorry, I seem to have missed that one. Would the Master of the Archives care to provide a link ?
Strangelove wrote:You dogs are not going to get a more quantified prediction than this on a fucking Canucks message board.
Well, you have to give to get, I suppose. Here's mine:

The Canucks will win fewer than 3 playoff games in 2019, and will score fewer than 8 playoff goals.

Now, my predictions are of lesser weight than the Great Strangelove's, of course, because
1) I am not a Canuckscorner Legend
and
2) As previously admitted, my hockey knowledge pales before his
but

They are undeniably measurable.
Strangelove wrote:They may accuse you of making your prediction only because you want to brag about being right one day.
Now please be fair. I acknowledged that your motives were pure (and, more importantly, relevant); that is, you mean to address the question of how we will assess the success of Jim Benning's rebuild. As do I.
Strangelove wrote:In that case Cliffy, would you kindly stop nipping at my heels like some deranged chihuahua? :D
If my questions annoy you, you needn't respond, but if you are going to go to the bother of responding, why not answer the questions ? Specifically, the follow-up to that statement:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:....if the Canucks win zero games in the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs (whether because they are swept, or fail to qualify), will you, Doc, admit that Benning's rebuild effort has been less than worthy of the appellation "genius" ?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:

(time-frame, how good the team will be, how big of a role young players will play)

I can't help but suspect you're being purposely obtuse...
The question of projecting has been raised, but no, I will just admit that my hockey knowledge pales before yours and I need extra guidance.
Hmmm... purposely obtuse, passively aggressive, and a patently insincere praiser!

This is quite a case!!! :)
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote:As for "what round of the playoffs"... that is not relevant.

What is relevant is where I said:

"My Canucks will look good enough (in said playoffs) to give us all plenty of hope for the future".

("We will all be talking about how far they will go the next playoffs and how long the window will be open")

You dogs are not going to get a more quantified prediction than this on a fucking Canucks message board.
Playoff performance is not relevant ? Well, that certainly gets full points for a bold assertion.
Well I most certainly did indicate 'playoff performance is relevant'. :eh:

What round they make it to in their first taste of playoff action... is what I called irrelevant.

Purposely obtuse Cliffy?
Ronning's Ghost wrote:

1) Time frame: 2018-2019 -- check
2) How good the team will be:
a) good enough to make the playoffs -- well, that establishes a minimum
b) "look good" -- not so quantifiable
3) how big a role young players will play -- sorry, I seem to have missed that one. Would the Master of the Archives care to provide a link ?
2a) :roll:

2b) How about "look good enough to get everyone on this board excited about the future"? :hmmm:

3) I've said it many times and I'm not on trial... try re-reading my last dozen posts in this thread. :scowl:

(also it should be obvious that young players would play a huge role in any success in that timeframe)
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote:They may accuse you of making your prediction only because you want to brag about being right one day.
Now please be fair. I acknowledged that your motives were pure (and, more importantly, relevant); that is, you mean to address the question of how we will assess the success of Jim Benning's rebuild. As do I.
True, but you also seemed to (twice) lend credence some of 5thhorseman's accusations.

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote:In that case Cliffy, would you kindly stop nipping at my heels like some deranged chihuahua? :D
If my questions annoy you, you needn't respond...
Tried that.

You persisted.

And you continued to complain to others that I hadn't answered your questions to your satisfaction.

*swats Cliffy with rolled-up newspaper* :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:Purposely obtuse Cliffy?
I honestly, sincerely, just want to avoid any leaps of inference that could be construed as putting words in your mouth. If you spell it out, then that doesn't happen, even by accident.

2b) How about "look good enough to get everyone on this board excited about the future"? :hmmm:
Well that's just setting yourself up for failure. Even if you polled everyone on this board (even though, as you [patiently] explained to me, you hate polls) about whether they were excited about the [Canucks'] future, you would need only one sourpuss holdout to fail.

Some might be interested in the question of whether creating excitement in the fanbase is one of the measures of GM success, though. Not me, as it turns out, but maybe some other posters want to toss that one around.
Strangelove wrote:3) I've said it many times and I'm not on trial
Certainly not ! Though perhaps, feeling a little guilty ?
Ronning's Ghost wrote:Now please be fair. I acknowledged that your motives were pure (and, more importantly, relevant); that is, you mean to address the question of how we will assess the success of Jim Benning's rebuild. As do I.
True, but you also seemed to (twice) lend credence some of 5thhorseman's accusations.
I accuse you of nothing beyond refusing to give measurable answers to questions, and I acknowledge (here, again -- as before) that that is certainly your right.
Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
If my questions annoy you, you needn't respond...
Tried that.

You persisted.

And you continued to complain to others that I hadn't answered your questions to your satisfaction.

*swats Cliffy with rolled-up newspaper* :D
I was not aware my questions carried such force. But as you may certainly ignore (or prevaricate upon -- whichever your preference) my questions, I may continue to ask, and to point out when we don't have answers.

TL/DR-vulnerable poster start point:
But really, all this chasing after predictions is just overture to the real question, namely: whatever the results, how do we interpret them ? That is, what kind and degree of Canucks on-ice success will indicate that Jim Benning has done a masterful [Genius-level] job of the rebuild to that point, and what level will indicate that he has not ?

For my own part, (as previously offered), I believe that six playoff victories in 2019, of whatever sort, would indicate success. I also believe that zero playoff victories would indicate failure.

I would be interested in The Great Strangelove's more weighty opinion on the matter, but if he declines to offer it, that is, of course, his prerogative.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Canucks will become serious contenders after the 2020 season.

By this time the prospects we have now will be at the right age with the right contracts, the vets can be UFA and they help bring in leadership.

My hope is that the Nucks pick top 5 again this year to give them the depth they need.

If you look at the stats from 10 years ago a lot more players have over a point a game, now it is only a handful. Our top point getters should be 60-80 points and we will be ok. Because I'm such an old guy I still have problems paying a lot of money to someone who only gets 50 points.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:Canucks will become serious contenders after the 2020 season.

By this time the prospects we have now will be at the right age with the right contracts, the vets can be UFA and they help bring in leadership.

My hope is that the Nucks pick top 5 again this year to give them the depth they need.

If you look at the stats from 10 years ago a lot more players have over a point a game, now it is only a handful. Our top point getters should be 60-80 points and we will be ok. Because I'm such an old guy I still have problems paying a lot of money to someone who only gets 50 points.
Reef, get over the big 50 man. Your still young enough to concur whatever you want to.

I am like so totally dun, dun, dun with hoping for shitty seasons for a top 10 pick, fuck it!
I'm going to root like hell for a playoff birth this year and the only lottery I want to hear about is the 6/49 or
Lotto Max that I am going to win...........
Damn Straight :drink:
Better chance of that, IMHO. :devil:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

micky107 wrote:

I am like so totally dun, dun, dun with hoping for shitty seasons for a top 10 pick, fuck it!

I'm going to root like hell for a playoff birth this year..
How about a compromise, try to make playoffs...

but to add to Reefer's hope to get another high pick, how about we move one dman for a 2018 1st + prospect, that way we have two 1st rounders in what should be a deeper draft next year.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:
micky107 wrote:

I'm going to root like hell for a playoff birth this year..
How about a compromise, try to make playoffs...

but to add to Reefer's hope to get another high pick, how about we move one dman for a 2018 1st + prospect, that way we have two 1st rounders in what should be a deeper draft next year.
Disappointing the fans another year for one--Boo, hiss....
The appropriate trade for one-- :rockin:
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

How about a top 5 pick and another 20-25 puck Skyo.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

So, serious contender in the 2020/2021 season ?

To me, "serious contender" means finishing in the top 6 in the league in regular season points and goal differential, and at least six playoff wins. What does it mean to you ?

More importantly, if the Canucks are serious contenders in the 2020/2021 season, do you think that will mean that Jim Benning has done a good job with the rebuild ? Average ? Genius-level ?
Last edited by Ronning's Ghost on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Now Reef is agreeing with Doc's timeline.

Good grief? Reef.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:Now Reef is agreeing with Doc's timeline.

Good grief? Reef.
Really Top?

You can't add?

I said after 2020 season.

SL says 1-2 seasons from now but he never clarified what he meant by it.

I on the other hand said after 2020 season they can start seriously contending. As this is 2017 and next season is 17/18 and then 18/19 and then 19/20 so not sure what school you went to my timeline is longer than 1-2 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
So, serious contender in the 2020/2021 season ?

To me, "serious contender" means finishing in the top 6 in the league in regular season points and goal differential, and at least six playoff wins. What does it mean to you ?

More importantly, if the Canucks are serious contenders in the 2020/2021 season, do you think will mean that Jim Benning has done a good job with the rebuild ? Average ? Genius-level ?
Good question RG.

I do not think any team can just make the playoffs and win the cup the same year. What I expect is the team will learn how to win in the playoffs after 2020 season. Maybe a round then 2-3 rounds in 2021/22 and then who knows.

I remember when Crosby lost in their first big season, the announcer said he was young and learning how to win in the playoffs. That is what I see from the Nucks as well.

Not as quick as everyone wants but it is what it is.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

We might be even worse next season.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Unless this team endures a record number of injuries next year, I don't see them being worse than last.