2017/18 Pacific Division

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2017/18 Pacific Division

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: With one year until the McExtension creates Cap Hell, and 2 years left onTalbot's deal, perhaps hockey fans realize there is no such thing as an "Edmonton Rebuild Model", because they have not actually rebuilt anything yet.
The only one talking about the Edmonton Model is the Dude. It wasn't that long ago (December, 2016) where we actually agreed:
RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:It's been said countless times but a big key to a successful rebuild is not just the 1st-5th overall picks you get for finishing in the gutter, but the picks throughout the draft as well.

A huge reason the Oilers rebuilds consistently failed was their inability to get anything out of the draft after their first pick. Pretty sure Oscar Klefbom is the only decent guy they've gotten after pick-1 in like 10 years. Compare that to the 2002-2007 Blackhawks, where guys like Bolland, Bickell, Brower, Byfuglien, Hjarlmarson, Crawford and Keith were in the system before rock-bottom and the Toews-Kane years.

Benning's 2014 draft looks real good, and if we get 1-2 more like that, maybe when the bottom really falls out (if it isn't already), we might have a nice stable for our version of the Kane-Toews drafts.
Agree with this, Ray Ferraro keeps saying it as well, not quality, it's quantity in the picks. I could care less where we pick if we are a lottery team, depth wins. You are drafting 18 year old boys, roll the dice, it's a crap shoot, but the more picks you have, greater the odds. I'm not a great fan of Bennings dealings of later round picks but I do get the idea of fixing that thin mid age gap between the old core and Bennings draft picks. A tough job but hopefully he's done with that.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Wait you mean Benning wasn’t always a Genius?

Lol, RD changes his story more than women change their clothes.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning got a lot of internal credit for building up the big bad Bruins. Chiarelli got a lot of external credit. I remember when we signed Benning and Lucic shared with some friends that Benning would be missed and he felt his absence would see a decline in the Bruins. Gave him most of the credit for not only drafting but trades and FA signings.

Now that doesn't make him a genius but I think as the two teams go, Vancouver and Edmonton, Chiarelli is showing he doesn't know how to build D or goaltending. How hard can it be to fuck up after drafting McJesus?

Benning's plan from day one was to build from the net out. Still a work in progress but while doing that he has set up a nice stable of prospects up front.

Way to early to say genius but not too early to give him credit where it is due.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I'm not a great fan of Bennings dealings of later round picks but I do get the idea of fixing that thin mid age gap between the old core and Bennings draft picks. A tough job but hopefully he's done with that.
Wait you mean Benning wasn’t always a Genius?

dafuq?

Reefer, you are truly on a mission these days to "remove all doubt"...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:Wait you mean Benning wasn’t always a Genius?

He’s up and down like a whore’s pants
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Wait you mean Benning wasn’t always a Genius?

He’s up and down like a whore’s pants
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Blob you gotta try pink kush strain bro.

The shit is the shit
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Blob you gotta try pink kush strain bro.

The shit is the shit
I’ve been off the weed for a bit. Had to take a couple piss tests for potential employers. Now that I’ve found a new gig starting next week I’m going hit the dispensary tomorrow or Friday.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I found a way around all the piss tests...you can request a swab up here and it only shows like 48 hrs of bad decisions...

So the bubbler is back in business
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning got a lot of internal credit for building up the big bad Bruins. Chiarelli got a lot of external credit. I remember when we signed Benning and Lucic shared with some friends that Benning would be missed and he felt his absence would see a decline in the Bruins. Gave him most of the credit for not only drafting but trades and FA signings.
Interesting to see the plight of the Bruins these days after a couple years post-Benning. They still Patrnak, McAvoy and some serviceable parts but nothing really promising to look at post-Bergeron/Chara/Marchand/Rask - all of whom are starting to show their age.

Looking at Edmonton’s situation this season and even last season you have to wonder how much of Chiarelli’s reputation was built on the shoulders of folks like Benning. If Edmonton didn’t win the lottery with McJesus, you wonder if things would be appreciably better than before they drafted him?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Even with the worlds fastest skater - McGawd, the Oikers are considered the slowest team in the league. Yup, Chiarelli has his finger on the pulse, ahead of the curve. Old school
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Lancer wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Benning got a lot of internal credit for building up the big bad Bruins. Chiarelli got a lot of external credit. I remember when we signed Benning and Lucic shared with some friends that Benning would be missed and he felt his absence would see a decline in the Bruins. Gave him most of the credit for not only drafting but trades and FA signings.
Interesting to see the plight of the Bruins these days after a couple years post-Benning. They still Patrnak, McAvoy and some serviceable parts but nothing really promising to look at post-Bergeron/Chara/Marchand/Rask - all of whom are starting to show their age.
Plight of the Bruins? Given their respective seasons thus far, it's funny you think the Bruins are in some kind of purgatory, at least compared with Vancouver.

Pasternak leads the team in scoring, Debrusk and McAvoy are both on 40-point paces. Heinen is 22. Bork is 21 and has 9 points in 16 games. Marchand is only 29 and Krug is 26. They were a playoff team last year, and are only three seasons removed from an appearance in the Cup finals.

They're icing a younger team than Vancouver, and seeing as they haven't had a top-10 pick since Hamilton/Seguin (thanks Toronto) I'd say the Bruins actually have done the "rebuild on the fly," while the Canucks have been forced into the more traditional rebuild.
If Edmonton didn’t win the lottery with McJesus, you wonder if things would be appreciably better than before they drafted him?
Kind of a silly question, isn't it? Of course they'd be worse. Ditto for Pittsburgh without Crosby, Washington without Ovechkin, Tampa without Stamkos etc.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Senyshen, Zorbil, Debrusk mid first round pick stalwarts. Boeser went 7 spots after those 3. They passed on Barzal who went right after those 3. Stalwart picks alright.

When you pick 3 in a row in a strong draft class, at least one should stick right?

All kinds of praise for picking Pastrnak in the 20's. I guess the same praise can be made for Benning drafting Boeser in the 20's
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:All kinds of praise for picking Pastrnak in the 20's. I guess the same praise can be made for Benning drafting Boeser in the 20's
Absolutely. Benning made a great pick in Brock. Do you think he regrets taking McCann over Pasternak the year prior?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Just Benning? I would say there are at least 21 teams regretting not drafting Pastrnak.

Are you still picking Debrusk, Zorbil, Senyshyn ahead of Boeser? Barzal? Gaudette (same draft class)