2017/18 Pacific Division

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2017/18 Pacific Division

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Put down the toluene soaked rag Mickey
Bubbles worst advice yet.
Ya, Blob. I can't get a hold of the damn thing. Toppers been hoggin it ever since I've been here. :crazy:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:That's nine pretty fluffy players up front.
No doubt eh. Fuck around the canucks are gonna get bitch slapped hard all season unless they sort that out
Meh, I'd rather have skilled players than megna's, chaput's and sestito's etc.

We build up the skilled homies with potential to increase trade value so you can trade em down the road for a couple bigger players if need be.

Plus last I checked the pens and blackhawks aren't exactly the big bad bruins, & one of the biggest teams in the league the LA Kings in their prime were good, but are now old and slow + overpaid.

Skill >>> meat heads.
Because that's what I said right Skyo ? I said I want more Megna and Chaput and especially Sestito type players.
Well you said "9 pretty fluffy players", with UDL adding "the Canucks are going to get bitch slapped around".

All I was saying was the team added skilled type players in depth areas, within the '9 fluffy players', citing at least these guys added have some skill over those players aforementioned.

So maybe they aren't the big badass Cam Neely type players you want over the 9 pretty fluffy players you said, but at least the players added have some skills to pay the bills.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That's wonderful Skyo but they still need some guys to get in on the forecheck and go hard to the net. A Marcus Foligno type or a Chris Kreider or hell Willard Reaves jr. A Mathew Tkachuk maybe or a Nick Ritchie........too soon ??

Your group of fluffies is about an average of 190 lbs and won't throw a hit or a punch. Enjoy.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote:
Well you said "9 pretty fluffy players", with UDL adding "the Canucks are going to get bitch slapped around".

All I was saying was the team added skilled type players in depth areas, within the '9 fluffy players', citing at least these guys added have some skill over those players aforementioned.

So maybe they aren't the big badass Cam Neely type players you want over the 9 pretty fluffy players you said, but at least the players added have some skills to pay the bills.
Its a step forward from last season, where the players were fluffy AND un-skilled!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:That's wonderful Skyo but they still need some guys to get in on the forecheck and go hard to the net. A Marcus Foligno type or a Chris Kreider or hell Willard Reaves jr. A Mathew Tkachuk maybe or a Nick Ritchie........too soon ??

Your group of fluffies is about an average of 190 lbs and won't throw a hit or a punch. Enjoy.
Team could use one or two of those types for sure, but first and foremost what the Canucks really need is some talent and scoring ability before they start trying to add a young Kunitz type.

Every Canucks game I kept on wanting someone to create more scoring chances, get some snipes in net, produce more offense, that to me is paramount over wanting more beef like the Foligno's, Kreider's etc, not to mention more entertaining if the team is creating more scoring chances overall.
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

I like the improvement on the skill side. However, I think good forecheckers create scoring chances. Remember when Raffi Torres played for the Canucks and lots of teams would bobble pucks because the players had their heads up worrying about being crushed by Torres. It is a rebuilding process and so it is good that we are adding skill; however, I take Blob's point that we need a bit more balance on the team and having some assholes might help our skilled guys capitalize on the scoring chances created by having some big bodies on the ice.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:Training camp should be interesting. Lots of competition, which is good.

If I hazarded a guess, I'd say we break camp looking something like:

Granlund-Horvat-Baertschi
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Gagner-Sutter-Boeser
Burmistrov-Gaunce-Dorsett

Will Dorsett even be healthy? Who knows. What about Virtanen?

We're definitely not a crash and bang team as things stand now. Horvat, Gaunce and Boeser have good size, but I'd love some more grit. Honestly, if our young guys have good years, it will be hard to rationalize re-signing the Sedins. Horvat should become the clear #1C this season. Gaunce has lots of room to improve. I guess the hope is that the twins do get pushed out.
Yeah a lot of options for Green to mix and match lines to find some chemistry.

After a month or so into the season I think we'll settle into lines like this.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser (Boes will help this new young #1 line keep on consistently scoring as they'll receive the lions share of top defensive units against them) *

Sedins - Granlund (Granlund has had success with the twins, so this line will form once again).

Gagner - Sutter - Eriksson (Sutter will take faceoffs but will slide to wing to let Gagner play center with his playmaking ability, hoping Gagner will help ignite Eriksson's scoring ability).

Dorsett - Burmistrov - Goldy Dorsett to provide grit for the Russians.
Gaunce - ready to sub in at any time.

Rodin, Boucher, Virtanen (will provide an interesting camp for limited spots available up front).
Dahlen (SHL? or AHL?)

Buried Megna, Chaput.

Accountability doesn’t look like an issue for Horvat, Baertschi and Granlund. The Sedins have taught them well.

Their line is playing really well,” Daniel Sedin said. “They’re starting to get more first opportunities on the power play, and that will probably happen even more next year. When they get those opportunities, they’ll take over.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/n ... 404f8688aa
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:That's wonderful Skyo but they still need some guys to get in on the forecheck and go hard to the net. A Marcus Foligno type or a Chris Kreider or hell Willard Reaves jr. A Mathew Tkachuk maybe or a Nick Ritchie........too soon ??

Team could use one or two of those types for sure, but first and foremost what the Canucks really need is some talent and scoring ability before they start trying to add a young Kunitz type.

Every Canucks game I kept on wanting someone to create more scoring chances, get some snipes in net, produce more offense, that to me is paramount over wanting more beef like the Foligno's, Kreider's etc, not to mention more entertaining if the team is creating more scoring chances overall.
Or three or four ... these are not no talent slugs like you make them out to be. Hey put on a dress and watch the games with Dude and Doc. They HATE the physical play and shake their limp wrists at the tv when guys hit or fight.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Linc wrote:I like the improvement on the skill side. However, I think good forecheckers create scoring chances. Remember when Raffi Torres played for the Canucks and lots of teams would bobble pucks because the players had their heads up worrying about being crushed by Torres. It is a rebuilding process and so it is good that we are adding skill; however, I take Blob's point that we need a bit more balance on the team and having some assholes might help our skilled guys capitalize on the scoring chances created by having some big bodies on the ice.
Dude , Doc and Skyo gonna be hating on this post.

I loved it however Linc !!
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

Hey Blob, thats just how I roll. Glad you liked the post though and I thought you raised a good point. Like Hockey Widow said a little while back, the problem with this team is not the Sedins. It is the lack of balance. We have a lot of players who are similar and can fill multiple roles. However, they don't do any one thing great (Megna, Chaput, etc.). The Sedins should now be an elite second line. However, you need to balance their skill with some brute force. Thats what made Naslund, Bert and Morrison an effective line. If the brawn isn''t one their line then it should be another. I think you need to have guys who can wear an opposing team down with lots of hits. We are in a rebuilding phase so I am ok with Benning adding skill this year and hopefully adding some brawn when the opportunity arises. As a long time lurker, I thought that Doc might like my desire for some assholes.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Linc wrote: Doc might like my desire for some assholes.
:lol:
Doc does seem to have a thing for assholes
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Linc wrote:I like the improvement on the skill side. However, I think good forecheckers create scoring chances. Remember when Raffi Torres played for the Canucks and lots of teams would bobble pucks because the players had their heads up worrying about being crushed by Torres. It is a rebuilding process and so it is good that we are adding skill; however, I take Blob's point that we need a bit more balance on the team and having some assholes might help our skilled guys capitalize on the scoring chances created by having some big bodies on the ice.
Well, lets have a little perspective, Torres put up 29 points on the third line/2nd PP unit, playing behind the Ross Winner and the Selke winner.

And I don't remember him doing anything to Marchand.

What was great about the Torres-Malhotra-Hansen line was their offensive output - they would get hot for a few games, pot a ton of goals, and win games. I remember two stretches where the Sedins and Kesler went ice-cold, and the third line would bust out a bunch of goals.

But in spite of Torres' running around like a wrecking ball and laying out top players with questionable hits, I don't think it had much impact on preventing the Bruins from taking liberties.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ESQ wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Well, lets have a little perspective, Torres put up 29 points on the third line/2nd PP unit, playing behind the Ross Winner and the Selke winner.

What was great about the Torres-Malhotra-Hansen line was their offensive output - they would get hot for a few games, pot a ton of goals, and win games. I remember two stretches where the Sedins and Kesler went ice-cold, and the third line would bust out a bunch of goals.

But in spite of Torres' running around like a wrecking ball and laying out top players with questionable hits, I don't think it had much impact on preventing the Bruins from taking liberties.
Wasn't he suspended for wallpapering Seabrook?
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

I don't think Linc's point had much to do with intimidation. Because of course you're right, Marchand will be Marchand regardless. But physical play does wear teams down, can cause turnovers, and injuries. If a guy can make the d-man move the puck .5 second earlier, or just throw it away, that helps the cause. A big problem with the Canucks up front is that it's going to be tough to play a retrieval game as it will be difficult to win puck battles down low.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

So the Canucks should employ a small, soft group of players that don't hit, don't forecheck , don't stand up for themselves or each other, turn the other cheek , turtle, dive and generally bore the home crowd to tears ? Cool beans