2017 Canucks UFA signings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2017 Canucks UFA signings

Post by Island Nucklehead »

damonberryman wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
McDavid camp played this perfectly. Leak the $13.5M per number, come in under it, have Oilers fans gushing about "taking a hometeam discount".
Oh for sure, I agree 100%, its a great deal for McDavid.

I think its a not-so-great deal for the Oilers. Its hard to flat-out call it a bad deal when they get the best player in the world out of it, but I agree with you, McDavid didn't do the Oilers any favours.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what Draisaitl gets. My guess is the Sekera, Lucic, and RNH deals ($17.5M combined) will start to feel pretty heavy as soon as McDavid's contract kicks in.

Looking at 2018-19, they have about $22M in cap space (prior to Draisaitl's deal), and only 12 players signed. If Nurse and Strome have decent seasons, cap hell comes quickly in Edmonton.

But yeah, not the worst problem to have, but they're going to need to be careful to manage that cap.
Crosby is still the best on the planet
I disagree.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Its going to be fascinating to compare McDavid's career to Crosby's.

Fortunately for Canucks fans, Crosby peaked in offensive production in his second year in the league :lol: :lol:

But if McDavid avoids the injury bug that plagued Crosby throughout his early-20s, watch out.

Its interesting that by his late-20s and the re-emergence of the Pens as a dynasty, Crosby's TOI dropped by 2 minutes/game from his early-20s. His points totals have been in the 80s since the drop in ice-time, but the Pens have had their greatest success.

To me that suggests that the Pens have more depth now and that has been key to their re-emergence. I think that depth is key for team success. Will Chiarelli be able to provide that depth?? (God I hope not)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote:Its going to be fascinating to compare McDavid's career to Crosby's.

I think that depth is key for team success. Will Chiarelli be able to provide that depth?? (God I hope not)
Adding depth is the easy part, it's finding the superstar talent to build around that's the unicorn for any pro sports team's franchise.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Adding depth is the easy part, it's finding the superstar talent to build around that's the unicorn for any pro sports team's franchise.
The Penguins from 2009-2015, the Capitals, and the Blackhawks since trading away Patrick Sharp say hi!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote:
SKYO wrote: Adding depth is the easy part, it's finding the superstar talent to build around that's the unicorn for any pro sports team's franchise.
The Penguins from 2009-2015, the Capitals, and the Blackhawks since trading away Patrick Sharp say hi!
lol two teams that have won 6 of the last 9 cups. The key is absolutely having high-end superstar talent, supported by a deep secondary cast, with quality timely goaltending, and one or two guys stepping out of the shadows. Takes a lot, but it doesn't happen without the star players.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Has anyone tried to figure out what kind of cap mess the Blackhawks would have been in if Tallon hadn't messed up the FedEx?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote:Its going to be fascinating to compare McDavid's career to Crosby's.

Fortunately for Canucks fans, Crosby peaked in offensive production in his second year in the league :lol: :lol:

But if McDavid avoids the injury bug that plagued Crosby throughout his early-20s, watch out.

Its interesting that by his late-20s and the re-emergence of the Pens as a dynasty, Crosby's TOI dropped by 2 minutes/game from his early-20s. His points totals have been in the 80s since the drop in ice-time, but the Pens have had their greatest success.

To me that suggests that the Pens have more depth now and that has been key to their re-emergence. I think that depth is key for team success. Will Chiarelli be able to provide that depth?? (God I hope not)
Not totally true.

2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13, were years cut short by injury where his points per game was higher than his 2nd season in the league.

I would like to see what his TOI in the final 5 minutes of each game is now compared to his early 20's.....and also compare the production during those minutes.

Sid's game also evolved and he is one of the best 200 foot players out there, as with all superstars who start taking the defensive side of the game seriously, his offensive numbers have dropped with an increase in defensive responsibility.

Scoring has also dropped league-wide since the 5-6 years post 2005 strike.....funny how it has coincided with the officials putting the whistles away and returning to clutch-and-grab, dead puck era, hockey.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Not totally true.

2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13, were years cut short by injury where his points per game was higher than his 2nd season in the league.
Not sure which part you're saying isn't totally true, but he peaked for points and he practically peaked for productivity (minutes of icetime per point) in year 2. Hard to extrapolate when he played half-seasons and scored at a torrid pace, but amongst his full seasons year 2 was definitely his best for offensive production.