2017 Canucks Entry Draft Summary.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2017 Canucks Entry Draft Summary.

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote:C. Still can't justify the maybes, hopefullys, time duration, of his #1 pick.
He will be developing on the other side of the planet on a different size ice in a style of game that doesn't really emulate North American hockey. Would have gone a different route.

The rest of the picks seem OK considering the entire draft class.
Now that it's over, it seems even more clear that this really was a year to have done whatever it would have taken to get the extra high first round pick.

On the other side of the Universe, light years away. Lol. He played against men last year and will play against men this year. Are you Don Cherry? Old school hockey? Large ice surface? Lol. Look around the league, Mickey. The NHL is littered with excellent Euros who grew up playing on the larger ice, wow it sure is messing up there game.

Listen, the Canucks have enough meh Cody Glass players. He's redundant. What we did need was high end skill down the middle, Glass is not that, Pettersen is. Skill wins
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Dude; as always you over stretch your points to the brink of picking fights, why?
I don't agree totally with all you say and DO NOT put down ole-time-hockey.
I bet you Glass will be a first rate player in this league.
Yes, Pettersson plays with men. What men? What talent level?
If the pick had gone the other way, you would be singing the praise for JB.
You would point out to everyone why.
Are you, and some others just rooting for GMs or the team.

Or is it that it's the time of year where there are no players or games to watch, so because JB is the hometown guy,
we are supposed to be on his side for everything.
(even if we deep down know there were a couple of bad calls). :lol: :lol: :lol:
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:Just another day at the office for the Genius. He getserdun, bottom line.
Early in the week to be guzzling gin isn't it RD?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:You just keep believing that Pacific Blue
The Gillis Draft Disease was still lurking viciously in that 2014 Draft, Bubbles. Gillis was fired just two months prior, his staff still remained and ran things. Benning was still adjusting. You know it so stop denying it
So Demko and Tryamkin and Forsling are Gillis picks ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Just another day at the office for the Genius. He getserdun, bottom line.
Early in the week to be guzzling gin isn't it RD?
He doesn't care Reef. He will drink any time of the week, any day of the week. Rubbing alcohol, he huffs toluene and scotchguard out of a rag. Every day is a party for the Dude.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

When drafted, Erik Karlsson was listed as 5'11" and 165 pounds. Karlsson is now listed as 6'0" and 190 pounds.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins was listed as 6'0" and 164 pounds when drafted. Nuge is now listed as 6'0" and 190 pounds.

Johnson, Ellis, Atkinson, Sheary, Gaudreau, Zuccarello, Desharnais - the list of very good players under six feet tall seems to grow every year.

At 6'2" and 165 pounds as an 18 year old, I'm not worried about Petterson's size. He has length and reach. He will add weight but never be huge. *shrugs* If he is skilled enough, he'll play. By the time Petterson is in the league, Thornton, Marleau and Getzlaf will be old men. Kopitar will be on the wrong side of 30. The huge Pacific Division will be very different.

Overall, I like the pick and the draft. Seems like Benning picked the most skilled guy, and the guy most likely to be a future #1C in the NHL. Now we watch and wait.

It's unfortunate that we didn't pick up a guy who can jump into the lineup in 2017, but them's the breaks with this draft lottery business.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

With the pipeline of talent Benning has built up, I'm totally fine with a pick like Peterssen who will take 2-3 years to make it to the NHL.

People used to crow over the "Detroit Model", well we've seen that the Detroit Model doesn't work without two fluke picks turning into superstars. One of the key aspects of the Detroit Model was letting players develop for longer in lower leagues, and no teenagers making the NHL until Larkin. Detroit did this because they were a top-UFA destination, and could fill the roster with top-of-the-class UFAs.

What the Canucks seem to be doing is bringing along 2-3 rookies per year, which reduces pressure on players who aren't ready (see: McCann and Virtanen).

2014/15 - Horvat and Vey (one out of two worked out)
2015/16 - Baertschi, Hutton, McCann and Virtanen (2 out of 4)
2016/17 - Tryamkin, Stecher (2 for 2!)
2017/18 - I think its likely we see Goldobin, Boeser, possibly Boucher (barely a rookie, I know) and Virtanen
2018/19 - There's a chance we see Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, Dahlen, maybe Holm
2019/20 - Peterssen + whatever surprises from the next 3 drafts

Under my un-expert projection, it means both of our 5th-overalls take 3 years to make it to the NHL. If they're able to force the issue sooner than that, great, but looking at the number of prospects looking to make the jump, I don't think there's any need to be impatient (again, see: McCann and Virtanen).

If you look at the successful rookies in this franchise, other than Horvat they all came in 3 years after their draft - Baertschi, Granlund, Hutton, Tryamkin, Stecher was 4 years post-draft eligibility.

It also means Granlund and Baertschi will be the greybeards in the top-9 in 3 years time at 26.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning has acknowledged that the team made a mistake in keeping both McCann and Virtanen in the NHL. In part they we're buoyed by the success of Horvat. In part they felt the pressure of trying to infuse young kids and add some excitement to the team. In part they felt the pressure of adding scoring depth. But he has acknowledged that it was a mistake with both.

He compared that experiment with Horvat and talked about character being one of the things they were looking for in the draft moving forward AND that they would not make that mistake again.

If they don't feel Goldobin, Dahlen, Pettersson, Virtanen, Boeser or Juolevi are not ready for the NHL I can see them parking all of them either back in Sweden, AHL or Utica. Added to that both Jasek and Zukenov are now in the KHL on two year deals. Trymakin on a 3 year deal. Gaudette and Lockwood at least one more year in the NCAA. That's an awful lot or talent, skill and POTENTIAL just a few years away.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: It's unfortunate that we didn't pick up a guy who can jump into the lineup in 2017, but them's the breaks with this draft lottery business.
Yeah, I recall the Genius weeks ago saying something like...

'Only the top two overall are likely to step right in this year'.

And so we wait.
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning has acknowledged that the team made a mistake in keeping both McCann and Virtanen in the NHL. In part they we're buoyed by the success of Horvat. In part they felt the pressure of trying to infuse young kids and add some excitement to the team. In part they felt the pressure of adding scoring depth. But he has acknowledged that it was a mistake with both.

He compared that experiment with Horvat and talked about character being one of the things they were looking for in the draft moving forward AND that they would not make that mistake again.

If they don't feel Goldobin, Dahlen, Pettersson, Virtanen, Boeser or Juolevi are not ready for the NHL I can see them parking all of them either back in Sweden, AHL or Utica. Added to that both Jasek and Zukenov are now in the KHL on two year deals. Trymakin on a 3 year deal. Gaudette and Lockwood at least one more year in the NCAA. That's an awful lot or talent, skill and POTENTIAL just a few years away.
While it was a mistake with Virtanen and McCann, I don't know that such necessarily means the team can't push other rookies. Lots of factors were involved in that tire fire a year ago (almost two at this point), not the least of which were questionable coaching decisions and allegations of prima donna behaviours. Like you note, HW, character seems to be key and hopefully that will be in great supply in our newest additions. As well, we have a new coach who will hopefully be more adept at getting the most from our incoming youth.

I would love it if JB's drafting started to reap some dividends this year (i.e. we see some of his drafted players proving themselves at the NHL level). Hopefully that will be the case as it feels like we are getting far enough along now to really start evaluating his drafting prowess. Boeser sure looked good in his few games. If he can keep that up for a large part of a season we have ourselves a player.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Benning has acknowledged that the team made a mistake in keeping both McCann and Virtanen in the NHL. In part they we're buoyed by the success of Horvat. In part they felt the pressure of trying to infuse young kids and add some excitement to the team. In part they felt the pressure of adding scoring depth. But he has acknowledged that it was a mistake with both.

While it was a mistake with Virtanen and McCann, I don't know that such necessarily means the team can't push other rookies. Lots of factors were involved in that tire fire a year ago (almost two at this point), not the least of which were questionable coaching decisions and allegations of prima donna behaviours. Like you note, HW, character seems to be key and hopefully that will be in great supply in our newest additions. As well, we have a new coach who will hopefully be more adept at getting the most from our incoming youth.

I would love it if JB's drafting started to reap some dividends this year (i.e. we see some of his drafted players proving themselves at the NHL level). Hopefully that will be the case as it feels like we are getting far enough along now to really start evaluating his drafting prowess. Boeser sure looked good in his few games. If he can keep that up for a large part of a season we have ourselves a player.
Nothing in what Benning said precludes a younger player from making the team. I think it was more an acknowledgment that McCann and Virtanen weren't ready and them not being ready had a lot to do with character issues, whatever they specifically were. Could be maturity, cockiness, work ethic, preparation, arrogance or whatever. He used Bo as an example of a young kid who was both physically and emionally ready.

All he was getting at is they recognized they rushed McCann and Virtanen and wouldn't make that mistake again. If the player is not both physically and emotionally ready they won't rush them. That power forward we drafted maybe ready. He could be the sleeper surprise at prospects camp.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote:That power forward we drafted maybe ready. He could be the sleeper surprise at prospects camp.
Ya I'm with you there. Relieves the angst from skipping good canadian kids and going for the foreigner in the 1st lol

Both those 2nds come up as very solid prospects from the highlights and bios. When your team is in the toilet it always helps the despair to cheer for the kids to succeed. This group is starting to feel like 1990-1991 with the promising younguns on the upswing...or is it just the kush talking
If you need air...call it in
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Uncle dans leg wrote:This group is starting to feel like 1990-1991 with the promising younguns on the upswing...or is it just the kush talking
I'm cautiously optimistic given how several of the current prospects look (Boeser, Dahlen, Juolevi, Gaudette and Pettersson being at the forefront for me), but, given our many years of disappointment, it's hard to get one's hope very high.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu