OK Doc - what is going to happen in 1 - 2 years?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: OK Doc - what is going to happen in 1 - 2 years?

Post by rats19 »

Mondi wrote:In 1 to 2 years, nothing will happen. The team will still be bad. Here's a questions, how many times will the McDavid Oilers eliminate the Canucks from the playoffs?
If nothing happens .... the answer is ...0...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Mondi wrote:In 1 to 2 years, nothing will happen. The team will still be bad. Here's a questions, how many times will the McDavid Oilers eliminate the Canucks from the playoffs?
prolly the same number of times we eliminated them in the last 15 years or so :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

This is what think.

Not bad as in not improving and moving forward but I do not see the playoffs as a possibility for at least 4 years, maybe 3 if they are lucky.

But on the bright side we will see the team grow and see the prospects mature. The team will steadily improve but not to the level Doc's believes that will occur in 1-2 years.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

After biting the rebuild bullet, and adding some great kids (who still need more time), the owners will lose patience, (losing is unacceptable) and Benning will be fired.

We haven't yet hit rock bottom, imo. 4 years before we even challenge for a playoff spot is my estimate.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Reefer2 wrote: I do not see the playoffs as a possibility for at least 4 years, maybe 3 if they are lucky.
Here's my prediction. 20% chance of playoffs this coming season. 40% in 2019, 66% in 2020, and 80% in 2021.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote: But on the bright side we will see the team grow and see the prospects mature. The team will steadily improve but not to the level Doc's believes that will occur in 1-2 years.
And hopefully they'll have enough leash to make mistakes, that we can see some youth come up instead of the mid/late-20's Megna's/Chaput's of the world. In the military the saying is "No names, no packdrill." Expect the mistakes and growing pains, and don't excuse them, but the solution is not the bench or 4 minutes/night.

But yeah, we're pretty much where the Oilers and Maple leaves were. Definitely more pain to come, and if our top picks trend more Virtanen and less Boesser we'll be there a while.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: But on the bright side we will see the team grow and see the prospects mature. The team will steadily improve but not to the level Doc's believes that will occur in 1-2 years.
And hopefully they'll have enough leash to make mistakes, that we can see some youth come up instead of the mid/late-20's Megna's/Chaput's of the world. In the military the saying is "No names, no packdrill." Expect the mistakes and growing pains, and don't excuse them, but the solution is not the bench or 4 minutes/night.

But yeah, we're pretty much where the Oilers and Maple leaves were. Definitely more pain to come, and if our top picks trend more Virtanen and less Boesser we'll be there a while.
In case you haven't heard by now, Wilbrod is no longer the coach
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:What will the top 2 lines and top 4 defence look like Doc ?
What am I... Kreskin?!! Image
OK, I agree, specific lineup questions are a little too much to ask, but
Strangelove wrote:1-2 off-seasons from now we will all be talking about how far Canucks will go in the next playoffs

... as well as how many years the window will be open.
predictions about what people will be talking about on this board aren't very interesting.
Cornuck wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:I predict in 1-2 off-seasons from now we'll be arguing.
The most accurate prediction ever on this board. :D
I agree, but it's too safe to be interesting.

So, Doc, would you care to venture any forecast about how well the Canucks are performing at that time ? For example, a minimum bound on the number of regular season points, or playoff games won ? Or, since we're talking about development, goal differential for the latter half of the of the 2018-2019 season ? Or maybe there's another measurement you consider to be a better indicator of an up-and-coming team. Lead the league in goals scored by players under 25 years old ? Youngest team in the league with a positive net corsi ? Something (anything) else to do with Canucks on-ice performance ?

In other words, when we are focusing on 2018-2019, what indicator are we focusing on that will show that ownership and management (and by extension you, Topper, and Royal Dude -- with apologies to other advocates I have failed to mention) have been right all along ?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: predictions about what people will be talking about on this board aren't very interesting.
I knew you were going to say that. :D

As for the rest, I'm on my way to a party, I'll maybe get back to this on Sunday.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote: predictions about what people will be talking about on this board aren't very interesting.
I knew you were going to say that. :D
:lol:
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

In two years, a self-diving electric vehicle will deliver my NHL draft preview along with my groceries from Whole Foods sourced by Amazon so it will be much cheaper than the $9.99 I had to spend this year, and go pick up myself. Perhaps only $7.99. Having calculated my grocery needs, my self-filling refrigerator will send its robot out to the self-driving electric delivery vehicle to pick up the groceries and fill my fridge, and drop off my magazine onto my coffee table. I'll pick up the magazine and with a completely satisfied smile on my face read the title, "Can anyone compete with Benning at the draft?" Of course, the articles will be filled with stories of how the Canucks overcame all odds to win their first Stanley Cup the previous year by drafting better than anyone ever.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

I think this is an important question for several reasons. The answer gives Canucks fans something positive to focus on for the future. It provides a barometer by which we may begin to fairly judge the work of the new ownership/management group after five years, which is key to debate on this board.

But more generally, and perhaps more interestingly, it asks what are the leading indicators of a team on the rise and with a high ceiling (results that one would expect from five years of reconstruction effort from a genius GM) ?

I'm going to suggest (guess) that it's a combination of highest proportion of players under 27 in the league, and highest average goals above replacement stats from those players.

Is that what we will from the Canucks in the 2018-2019 season, Doc, or are you predicting some other indicator of future (or is going to be present) success ?
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote: It also speaks to a great deal of patience (or in Benning's case, confidence in his job security), since it's hard to see how this kid could be ready for the NHL in less than two years. Might seem like a great pick in 2020, but doesn't really work with Doc's timeline.
Pettersson and Dahlen will join your Vacouver Canucks 1-2 years from now. :mex:
You mean that Pettersson will be on the Canucks roster for the 2018-2019 season ?
Much more likely it's 2019-20... although it could be both: 2 players here Cliffy!

(twice now you've interpreted that post as "Doc says the rutabagas will be here in 2018") :roll:

So let's say then that... 2 years from now... Nuck fans are breathless with anticipation

... at the prospect of adding two star players to what will be an already fabulous young roster.

You heard it here first! :mex:
Okay, we're inching closer.
Strangelove wrote: So let's say then that... 2 years from now... Nuck fans are breathless with anticipation
Once again, much less interested in what the fans are doing that what the Canucks are doing.
Strangelove wrote: ... at the prospect of adding two star players to what will be an already fabulous young roster.
Would I be correct in interpreting that to mean that in the 2018-2019 season, Dahlen and Pettersson are unlikely to be on the Canucks roster (in which case, I would agree), but the Canucks are nevertheless icing a fabulous young roster?

If so, now we just need determine how we will define and measure 'young' and, more especially, 'fabulous'.

I hope you do not mean fabulous in the sense of "as found in a fable; mythical".
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

It's evident the team is on the slow rebuild path, sucking for a few more years. They had a chance to accelerate it and did some minor stuff in trading Burr and Hansen, though Hansen had more to do with the expansion draft and not being able to protect him. We will see if they trade more vets at the deadline or draft next year to speed it up but I'm not holding my breath.

In 2 years we will almost surely see no more twins, Edler will be slowing down, who knows what will be happening with our goalies but I expect Demko will be playing quite a bit. The D will likely be totally rebuilt and transitioning to young guys. I suspect the next couple of years will see high picks used on D more than forwards, all things being equal.

Pettersson will probably be starting his rookie year and guys like Sven, Granlund will be either moved or signed to long term extensions. Lots of young forward will be pushing for roles, hopefully at least.

It will get better but given the route management is taking the rebuild will take a couple of years longer than it needs to. Some damn luck in the lottery would speed things up, grabbing Svechnikov or Dahlin next year would make a big difference.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I can get behind this ^

It was the unnecessary addition of expensive vets and the movement of picks/prospects for other teams failings that has aggravated fans around here....not to mention the hambata inactivity(ya ya they hamstrung the teams sure).

Now that they have changed tack and are heading down the well warn path you'll see way less focus on how dumb Jim looks and more about the progress of the stable of young talent the team has quietly assembled
If you need air...call it in