OK Doc - what is going to happen in 1 - 2 years?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: OK Doc - what is going to happen in 1 - 2 years?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I can get behind this ^

It was the unnecessary addition of expensive vets and the movement of picks/prospects for other teams failings that has aggravated fans around here....not to mention the hambata inactivity(ya ya they hamstrung the teams sure).

Now that they have changed tack and are heading down the well warn path you'll see way less focus on how dumb Jim looks and more about the progress of the stable of young talent the team has quietly assembled
:thumbs:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Diehard1 wrote:It's evident the team is on the slow rebuild path, sucking for a few more years. They had a chance to accelerate it and did some minor stuff in trading Burr and Hansen, though Hansen had more to do with the expansion draft and not being able to protect him. We will see if they trade more vets at the deadline or draft next year to speed it up but I'm not holding my breath.

In 2 years we will almost surely see no more twins, Edler will be slowing down, who knows what will be happening with our goalies but I expect Demko will be playing quite a bit. The D will likely be totally rebuilt and transitioning to young guys. I suspect the next couple of years will see high picks used on D more than forwards, all things being equal.

Pettersson will probably be starting his rookie year and guys like Sven, Granlund will be either moved or signed to long term extensions. Lots of young forward will be pushing for roles, hopefully at least.

It will get better but given the route management is taking the rebuild will take a couple of years longer than it needs to. Some damn luck in the lottery would speed things up, grabbing Svechnikov or Dahlin next year would make a big difference.
This is what I was hoping to get from Doc.

1 - 2 years from now this team will be no different than now except less vets and a few more top 10 picks.

Regardless of how some people think on this site, Nucks will be looking at the playoffs in 4 - 5 years from now.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Playoffs this year.... book it !!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:It's evident the team is on the slow rebuild path, sucking for a few more years. They had a chance to accelerate it and did some minor stuff in trading Burr and Hansen, though Hansen had more to do with the expansion draft and not being able to protect him. We will see if they trade more vets at the deadline or draft next year to speed it up but I'm not holding my breath.

In 2 years we will almost surely see no more twins, Edler will be slowing down, who knows what will be happening with our goalies but I expect Demko will be playing quite a bit. The D will likely be totally rebuilt and transitioning to young guys. I suspect the next couple of years will see high picks used on D more than forwards, all things being equal.

Pettersson will probably be starting his rookie year and guys like Sven, Granlund will be either moved or signed to long term extensions. Lots of young forward will be pushing for roles, hopefully at least.

It will get better but given the route management is taking the rebuild will take a couple of years longer than it needs to. Some damn luck in the lottery would speed things up, grabbing Svechnikov or Dahlin next year would make a big difference.
This is what I was hoping to get from Doc.

1 - 2 years from now this team will be no different than now except less vets and a few more top 10 picks.

Regardless of how some people think on this site, Nucks will be looking at the playoffs in 4 - 5 years from now.
Totally agree with this Reef. There will be minor improvements and they will keep mixing in some young guys and phasing out some old ones , but there won't be playoffs for a long time. I'm okay with that , I just wonder what the next time frame catchphrase will be.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: There will be minor improvements and they will keep mixing in some young guys and phasing out some old ones , but there won't be playoffs for a long time. I'm okay with that , I just wonder what the next time frame catchphrase will be.
That's the slippery bit. Doc didn't actually say the Canucks would make the playoffs in 2-3 (and, counting down, 1-2) years. The main point of this thread seems to have been trying to get him to be specific about what would happen at that time, but....well, I'm going to guess Doc has a fabulously successful career in sales and marketing.

That point aside, in the process, an interesting question arose with respect to what might be leading indicators of a successful rebuild. What statistical benchmark(s) would convince posters here that the rebuild is on the right track, or not ? Would they be evident by the 2018-2019 season ?