2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Post by Mickey107 »

herb wrote:
micky107 wrote:Don't understand why, as it looks, a move to another inexperienced coaching situation.

Also; I took the time to listen to willy's closing presser and you put that together with Jim and Trevor's and the player interviews and it all adds up to absolutely nothing. Like nothing is wrong or has been wrong. Everybody loves everybody. Zero, even slightly, derogatory barbs or remarks. I don't think I've ever seen that.

It's really starting to make me think that regardless of what Trevor says, an extremely strong, iron fisted, new agenda has been ordered by ownership.

I think it might be, do as your told and no more spending. Everything has to go through us.

I'm just guessing, I really don't know. Just seems to be getting strange.
It's strange that a bunch of nice guys, consummate professionals and all around good people didn't poo poo all over each other after the break-up? Not everything needs to be Torts or Burke level drama. None of these guys are addicted to the sound of their own voice. I'm not surprised at all that things ended amicably. Willie seems like a genuinely great guy, and I think it's one of those situations where everybody truly wishes each other well.
Trevor seems to be a little addicted. Even with the hesitations.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:So at last count, Bubbles hated Vigneault for ruining Ballard and Kassian's careers, LOVED John "Point Roberts" Torterella, hated Wilbrod Climax Saskatchewan, LOVES Green.... See the pattern?
I didn't hate Vigneault but he got stale. His time was done here. Torts didn't give a fuck and the team he took over was trash.Desjardins is not a horrible coach and I don't support the narrative that he can't develop kids. His player deployment however is fucking terrible. His goaltending decisions , his use of both Sutter and Eriksson was asinine, and the overuse of scrubs like Megna and Chaput was fucking idiotic. How many times was Horvat stapled to the bench in the last two minutes down a goal? Sutter got piles of pp time even though he fucking sucked on the pp. Eriksson needs to play with someone who can skate and pass the puck yet he didn't play with Horvat until March.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Liar, you posted major melt down rants regarding AVs lack of respect for your bois - Buyout Ballard, Buyout Booth, Zack the Coke assassin and Tommy Boy Sestito and your all time favourite - Ryan "where is he now" Stanton.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ferraro: Canucks team 2014 was a playoff team, they made it.
2015, 2016 said a non-playoff team, called it right.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... m-1.724736

"This is a rebuild, so team needs a young coach, good communication with young guys who can grow with them."

Mentions Todd Reirden who is probably the best fit for this younger squad.

Also says Jim Montgomery Denver
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/23/ji ... hl-demand/

Norm Bazin the frenchy from UMass Lowell who looks like Linden.
Bazin should coach the Comets, he's already over there in the East.

Unsure with Green - doesn't know him, or watched him coach so doesn't know.
But he said he always had good relationship with players from playing days.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Mentions Todd Reirden who is probably the best fit for this younger squad.
Reirden's got the US thing going for him.

One thing's for sure, if management isn't going to cover my ass by acknowledging a rebuild, I'd want a 4+ year deal. .
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Mentions Todd Reirden who is probably the best fit for this younger squad.
Reirden's got the US thing going for him.

One thing's for sure, if management isn't going to cover my ass by acknowledging a rebuild, I'd want a 4+ year deal. .

IN they have all but acknowledged a rebuild. Why they don't like to say rebuild probably has to do with ticket sales more than anything else, or at least a misguided belief that ticket sales will be better.

But Linden said, call it anything you want, it's just a word really. They have been rebuilding.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: But Linden said, call it anything you want, it's just a word really. They have been rebuilding.
C'mon... everything you (The Insider) has said indicated management has refused a rebuilding mentality, and thought they could be competitive sooner vs. later. Clearly, that has not been the case. So why not just say it? I don't get why the fans are supposed to read between the lines (vs. taking them at face value). As RG pointed out in the other thread, it seems that they've finally gotten there... but the Kesler, Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, Clendenning, Vey, Prust etc. transactions are not moves rebuilding teams make, but ones that are made to compete immediately.

Ticket sales have more to do with entertainment value than anything management says. They've denied a rebuild since they've got here, and iced arguably the leagues least entertaining team. I think that has a lot more to do with fan apathy. If anything, setting high expectations by claiming to be a playoff-calibre team every year doesn't do anyone any favours, and only further undermines fans' trust in management's ability to properly assess the team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: But Linden said, call it anything you want, it's just a word really. They have been rebuilding.
C'mon... everything you (The Insider) has said indicated management has refused a rebuilding mentality, and thought they could be competitive sooner vs. later.
Well they said from the beginning that the plan was to transition to a new young core

... and that they would like to do that while competing every night and trying to make the playoffs.

This "competitive sooner vs. later" is a misnomer.

(they never said how far away competing for the Cup would be)
Island Nucklehead wrote: I don't get why the fans are supposed to read between the lines (vs. taking them at face value).
Well they couldn't exactly come out and say their Canucks will most likely suck for a few years. :scowl:

The stated goal of making the playoffs if everything went well should have been a clue though.

Another clue was Sedins predicting a coupla years ago that the next two years would be rough.

And then there was the fact Kesler wanted out.
Island Nucklehead wrote: the Kesler, Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, Clendenning, Vey, Prust etc. transactions are not moves rebuilding teams make, but ones that are made to compete immediately.
Kesler (like Sedins) saw the rebuild coming but (unlike Sedins) wanted no part of it.

None of these moves were anti-rebuild... this has been discussed ad nauseam.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Some "Rebuilding Teams/Transitioning/Lottery Teams" 2016 UFA signings

Buffalo - Kyle Okposo - $42 million - 7 years
Detroit - Thomas Vanek - $2.6 million - 1 year
Detroit - Nielsen - $31.5 million - 6 years
Vancouver - Eriksson - $36 million - 6 years
Islanders - Chimera - $4.5 million - 2 years
Islanders - Ladd - $38.5 million - 7 years
Dallas - Hamhius - $7.5 million - 2 years
Coyotes - McGinn - $10 million - 3 years

Benning and Linden are an "Island" onto themselves.

The Bottom line, rebuilding, re-tooling whatever the fuck you wanna moan about it, no team goes into season, good or not so good NOT wanting to win, especially in the fickle market that Vancouver is. IF you think so, you are an idiot and probably never played sports or owned a business.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Riding a bicycle in spandex pants isn't really playing sports Chief.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Riding a bicycle in spandex pants isn't really playing sports Chief.
Listen Slow Pitch Ball Season I have never worn spandex and I haven't been on a bike for like 15 years
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Some "Rebuilding Teams/Transitioning/Lottery Teams" 2016 UFA signings

Buffalo - Kyle Okposo - $42 million - 7 years... 28 years old, 45 points in 65 games
Detroit - Thomas Vanek - $2.6 million - 1 year.. traded at the deadline, 48 points in 68 games
Detroit - Nielsen - $31.5 million - 6 years 41 points in 79 games
Vancouver - Eriksson - $36 million - 6 years 24 points in 65 games
Islanders - Chimera - $4.5 million - 2 years... 33 points in 82 games
Islanders - Ladd - $38.5 million - 7 years 31 points in 78 games
Dallas - Hamhius - $7.5 million - 2 years.... 16 points in 79 games
Coyotes - McGinn - $10 million - 3 years... 17 in 72 games

Benning and Linden are an "Island" onto themselves.

The Bottom line, rebuilding, re-tooling whatever the fuck you wanna moan about it, no team goes into season, good or not so good NOT wanting to win, especially in the fickle market that Vancouver is. IF you think so, you are an idiot and probably never played sports or owned a business.
Holy Fuck dude, you really tried hard on this one!!

Too bad nearly every deal is better than the one Eriksson signed.

Ladd is the only comparable, and he's cheaper and produced at a higher rate. lol sad effort on your part.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Riding a bicycle in spandex pants isn't really playing sports Chief.
Listen Slow Pitch Ball Season I have never worn spandex and I haven't been on a bike for like 15 years

Ok man leggings then.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Well they said from the beginning that the plan was to transition to a new young core
A core of Jensen, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Subban and Markstrom would have accomplished this with similar results.
This "competitive sooner vs. later" is a misnomer.
You're right, the plan was always to be competitive in the present, nothing about "later".
Kesler (like Sedins) saw the rebuild coming was required but (unlike Sedins) wanted no part of it.
Fixed.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: the Kesler, Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, Clendenning, Vey, Prust etc. transactions are not moves rebuilding teams make, but ones that are made to compete immediately.
None of these moves were anti-rebuild... this has been discussed ad nauseam.
lol. What do we have to show for the Kesler return? Sbisa, Sutter, Gudbranson. Medicore in-the-now players, none likely to get significantly better.

Big-ticket UFA's are not consistent with rebuilding teams (maybe the leaves...)

Clendenning.. older than what we traded for him (and where is he now?).

Vey.. older than what we traded for him (and where is he now?).

Prust... older than both of what we traded for him (and where is he now?).

Gudbranson... older than both of what we traded for him (and how long will he be here?).

Seems to me that ALL of these moves are inconsistent with a team building long-term. But Keep on Keeping on with your Benning Rorschach analysis.