2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Likely a short term transition type coaching move...team is in the tank and any coach taking the reigns now is set up to fail.
Maybe with finally acknowledging the state of the franchise and embracing a full rebuild Benning can get on with it already...time to start the search for the next top line
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Really was the only choice for this teamat this point. Hopefully there's no pressure to make the playoffs for two or three years and this team starts to finally stockpile some young talent. 2014-15 was the worst thing that could have happened . Hopefully the apes in management can finally see the forest for the trees.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Really was the only choice for this teamat this point. Hopefully there's no pressure to make the playoffs for two or three years and this team starts to finally stockpile some young talent. 2014-15 was the worst thing that could have happened . Hopefully the apes in management can finally see the forest for the trees.
Playoffs shouldn't even be in the vocabulary,if this regime was smart which they are not they should emphasize this coach as a TEACHER and the tenure of his contract is to TEACH and DEVELOP its not about results short term as it is about the long term progression of our youth..
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I sure hope this signing doesn't mean a break from the team's emphasis on "winning culture". As well, Green better not try to slide in youth with potential over character guys like Chaput, Megna and Skille (if he returns).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I'm totally fine with this hiring! He's worked well with young guys, had some great years in Utica and deserves a shot.

He also played nearly 1000 NHL games as a role player with a wide range of personalities. I'm sure he knows how to handle egos as well!

Based on where the team is at this point he is the most logical choice for sure.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Perfect fit for a organization 2-3 years from making any type of post season push, could be much longer if picks or trades don't work out. Greener's career high potential would be to win one round at some point, if he could accomplish that in 3 years he should have all out respect # noshortcuts
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So it's expected to be a four year deal. Baumgartner coming with him to take over the D side of coaching. Cloutier and Jarvis staying. Maholtra staying. Room for a special teams coach still.

Happiest Canucks today: virtanen, Pedan, Grenier and Gaunce.

Now Benning did say after Trymakin left that he expects Pedan to be on the club next year and Green has been saying all year he belongs in the NHL. So he will be our tree replacement. If he survives the expansion draft.

Green has always been high on Grenier and he is one of his go to guys in Utica. Same for Gaunce when he played there.

Virtanen may now think he's a lock to make the Canucks. I hope he doesn't feel that way, for his sake, and just coast this summer. But the Canucks liked his time in Utica under Green's tutelage so they may feel inclined to keep him in Vancouver with a coach he seems to respect and respond to.

Also, Green had a tandem of Markstrom and Bachman which lead him to the Calder Cup finals. It is a tandem he worked well and liked a lot. Takes the pressure off of re-signing Miller if the coach likes the alternatives.

I'm so so with the signing. Clearly he would be lost to the organization had they not sprung for this plus a four year deal. As has been said, he has close to 1000 NHL games under his belt so he isn't a rookie in the NHL. He has had success with players like Markstrom, Virtanen (yes I thin even though the results we want are not there yet he has had success with him), Baertschi, Gaunce, Pedan, Markstrom. He won't be reluctant to ride Markstrom. He won't be reluctant to play Pedan. He knows the players in our system very well. That trust factor Willie talked about, well Green will have his pecking order lined up.

The only downside I see really is, he is a rookie NHL coach. So we will have at least three years of him. If he gets us back to respectability he'll get his fourth year and maybe an extension.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Reefer2 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Two guys who could make significant contributions to the clubs success, Sven Baertschi and Jacob Markstrom, both turned their careers around under Green's tutelage.

Much has been discussed of Virtanen's slow development, but he too, along with Gaunce, Labate, Pedan and Subban have spent considerable time with Green. He's known as a strong communicator who gains the respect of his players, while pushing the right buttons in order to get the most out of them. He's been with the franchise for 4 years and has his head wrapped around managements game plan.

At the current state of the franchise, it's the smart move.

The more curious question is, who will he choose to be is #2, and will this choice be the guy who runs the D?
Easy to do in the AHL, how will he work with vets.
"Vets" is a pretty short list, and gets 2 shorter after next year. I don't see it as a problem, given how preofessional the twins are.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

I don't like the hire but I'm not that bothered by it. I think he needs more time to cook at the NHL level as an assistant. Nothing he's done has shown that he'll be up to the level of the NHL's best, just the one AHL's best.

I did a little bit of analysis based on a record of NHL coaches going back to the 1987 and 2017. Not emprical but hey.

- On average, coaches with less than 3 years of experience won 46% of games (excluding coaches with <1 full season)
- On average, Coaches with more than 3 years of experience won 53% of games

If you look at coaches who are still active, the experienced coaches tend to win 56% of the time vs inexperienced ones who win 50% of the time (the time periods for comparison don't line up hence the averages don't equal to 100).

So what? We're less likely to have success under Green as he learns the ropes, especially with a team that isn't so great. It's not like we're the Penguins with Crosby and Malkin coming in the next Bylsma is what we need to push us over the edge. However, that in itself is an important point, we don't have those marquee players, so how much of our success will be the coach.

One thing I couldn't compare is the records of where the coach had x years as an assistant coach in the NHL For me, that would be interesting to understand.

You can check out the data here - http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/NHL_stats.html
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Best part is it's a clean slate, right off the get-go management can set a mandate on focusing on developing the youth.

As HW mentioned now maybe some of the under utilized properly guys like Grenier, Pedan, JV, Subs, Marky (If he isn't traded & we re-sign MillerTime) might/should get a better shot.

Considering there's no pressure to win a Cup asap, there's less pressure on that so Green has a couple years of leeway.

For special teams, could use Bob Woods, was the assistant coach in BUF who ran NHL best powerplay last season, he's looking for work.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I just hope his "rookie" status is overshadowed by his 970 NHL games and he's not afraid to tell our vets where the bear shits in the woods. So long as it's no more catering to the way the Sedin's want things I don't give a shit.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:Best part is it's a clean slate, right off the get-go management can set a mandate on focusing on developing the youth.

As HW mentioned now maybe some of the under utilized properly guys like Grenier, Pedan, JV, Subs, Marky (If he isn't traded & we re-sign MillerTime) might/should get a better shot.

Considering there's no pressure to win a Cup asap, there's less pressure on that so Green has a couple years of leeway.

For special teams, could use Bob Woods, was the assistant coach in BUF who ran NHL best powerplay last season, he's looking for work.
Grenier will be 26 when camp opens. Stick a fork in him. As for all the gushing about the Fake I'm curious as to who was the last forward that put up 19 points in almost a full AHL season that actually became a good NHL player. Even guys like Hansen,Burrows, Kassian and a host of others have score at a 50-70 point pace in the A. He needs at least another year and he needs to produce. This lip service from management and Green that they are happy with his development is pr fluff. I'd imagine they are choked at how unproductive his season is but don't want to say anything because his confidence is fragile as hell.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:Best part is it's a clean slate, right off the get-go management can set a mandate on focusing on developing the youth.

Grenier will be 26 when camp opens. Stick a fork in him. As for all the gushing about the Fake I'm curious as to who was the last forward that put up 19 points in almost a full AHL season that actually became a good NHL player. Even guys like Hansen,Burrows, Kassian and a host of others have score at a 50-70 point pace in the A. He needs at least another year and he needs to produce. This lip service from management and Green that they are happy with his development is pr fluff. I'd imagine they are choked at how unproductive his season is but don't want to say anything because his confidence is fragile as hell.
You could be right Blob. I too think another year, at least, in the AHL is where he should be. The kid has never had to work at being a hockey player until now. Let him earn it. But if he shows up at camp ready to give the NHL a real shot don't hold him back because he only scored 17 points. Green knows him well by now and I don't think he free passes Jake.

Players Green says are ready for the NHL: Pedan, Cassells and Grenier. These are the three to watch. Nothing to get excited about but they could be good role players, bottom pairing, bottom six types. Can't be worse than what we've seen recently in those roles and the three add some grit.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Who knows B about JV, I'm looking forward to his camp to see if he improved.

As for another coach other than Baumer to help our rookie coach Green, be nice to get someone like Adam Oates a low-key guy, NHL experience at all levels.
Oates began his coaching career with the Tampa Bay Lightning as an assistant in 2009-10. He was credited with improving their power play and played a crucial role in the development of Steven Stamkos into a scoring star.

In 2010, Oates was hired as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils. He would help them reach the 2012 Stanley Cup Final.

Oates went on to spend two seasons (2012-13 and 2013-14) as head coach with the Washington Capitals and returned to the Devils as an assistant coach in 2014-15.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Hopefully the apes in management can finally see the forest for the trees.
Mëds wrote:I just hope he's not afraid to tell our vets where the bear shits in the woods.
What is this... National Geographic? :hmmm:

Hmm... Green coach takes over team with zero expectations

= I smell playoffs baby! :mex:

Win draft lottery, make playoffs, sing songs about Coach Green...
____
Try to focus on someday.