2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Post by BigTuna »

Green was a cancer in the leaves dressing room as a player. Hopefully he's grown up. He was best buds with Tucker and Corson.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote:Green was a cancer in the leaves dressing room as a player. Hopefully he's grown up. He was best buds with Tucker and Corson.
EVERYONE was a cancer on that team (perhaps Green was merely trying to fit in) :D

The Muskoka Five (Sundin, Kaberle, Tucker, McCabe, Kubina) were vilified by Leaf fans.

Corson walked out on the team.

CuJo hated Quinn for breaking his promise to play him in the Olympics

(so angry he eventually dumped the Leaves for Detroit).

Gary Roberts and Pat Quinn had notable screaming matches.

Domi publicly blasted teammates Reichel, Renberg, Berg, Lumme, Housley and Svehla

... for caring more about the world championships than the Leaves.

Most of the vets were guilty of open mutiny in one way or another

.. but yeah I don't recall Green being involved in any of those stories.

Most dysfunctional team ever! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm a bit surprised in going with Green. I really thought they'd go with someone with NHL experience this time around. I thought they'd lean on Crow as he has a history with Trev. I guess Green is good in the sense that there's no urgency to win now. He'll be judged more in a couple years when our young guys develop a bit and should be pushing for a playoff spot again.

It'd be nice to get a guy with some NHL experience to help out, guy like Rick Bowness would be great. Maybe Doug Jarvis is that guy.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Green was a cancer in the leaves dressing room as a player. Hopefully he's grown up. He was best buds with Tucker and Corson.
EVERYONE was a cancer on that team (perhaps Green was merely trying to fit in) :D

The Muskoka Five (Sundin, Kaberle, Tucker, McCabe, Kubina) were vilified by Leaf fans.

Corson walked out on the team.

Most of the vets were guilty of open mutiny

.. but yeah I don't recall Green being part of dat dere.
Muskoka 5 hmmm your knowledge of the Maple leaves continues to amaze... just a lil too plugged in on that detail for one to be a basher on the periphery... HOW are u aware of all these details... THERE SEEMS TO BE A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE N HATE...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I know it's hard for one to wrap ones head around this level of hatred, but try Paddy TRY! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Brave move by Benning to pin his hopes on a young unproven coach as he'll likely be on the chopping block himself next time. Say what you want about his ability to develop young talent, in the end Green will be expected to deliver. Two more seasons out of the playoffs will be good for the prospect pool but not for Mr. Green. Personally I think they should have kept WD till the end of his contract and then hired an experienced coach. But hey, I may be wrong.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

5thhorseman wrote:Brave move by Benning to pin his hopes on a young unproven coach as he'll likely be on the chopping block himself next time. Say what you want about his ability to develop young talent, in the end Green will be expected to deliver. Two more seasons out of the playoffs will be good for the prospect pool but not for Mr. Green. Personally I think they should have kept WD till the end of his contract and then hired an experienced coach. But hey, I may be wrong.

Problem was Green's contract was up in Utica. If the Canucks didn't see Willie as the long term solution, which they obviously didn't, then keeping Willie one more year meant, in all probability, losing Green.

If they see Green as a more permanent fixture, which they obviously do, losing Willie was the only way to go.

Green is going to be asked to get more out of everyone, stabilize the younger kids, develop, develop, develop. They will say their goal,is to be competitive every night, make the playoffs while transitioning in the new core. They won't give a new party line now.

This buys everyone about three years. If the team isn't competitive and a legit playoff team by then, then we can say goodbye to Trevor and Jim. I think the expectations are to get back to the playoffs as soon as possible, like next season. I don't see a team that can do that. But hey, next years' draft is supposed to be a good one :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Maybe everything changed when Gallant signed up for Vegas. :shock:
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well here we go, in 2 minutes
All I know is this.
Next year,
After first periods,
I don't want to hear:

Well, the Canucks are still in this thing.
Out shot 14 to 4 but with the great goal tending from, whoever, it's still close.
No More. :evil:
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Kinda like your a Cancer around this website?? :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think Green did chum around with Corson and Tucker but he was a minor tumour compared to those two. It's disturbing to me because I hate Corson with a passion. Corson was hated in every city he played in. Read what the copper and blue think of him. I laughed my ass off when Corson got his ass handed to him by Eric Cairns.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Green is certainly polished with the media unlike Desjardins.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote:Maybe everything changed when Gallant signed up for Vegas. :shock:
Is it true the Canucks didn't interview anyone else?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

That's what they said ?
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Is it true the Canucks didn't interview anyone else?
I get the impression they were worried about losing Green and his contract was up. They've been grooming him for this position, so maybe the timeline was moved up and Willie was the odd man out.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was the only candidate.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."