2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Post by BladesofSteel »

BTB a 4 year deal as per Murph
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

SKYO wrote:My only worry with Green is the Eakins scenario, getting outmatched right away and losing the room.
He's a great AHL coach so he'll mesh with the Canucks roster instantly. :roll:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I am not a fan of the hiring.

Not another green coach with no NHL experience.

I do hope as someone else said that he is given time to develop the team and not have the pressure to make the playoffs.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Two guys who could make significant contributions to the clubs success, Sven Baertschi and Jacob Markstrom, both turned their careers around under Green's tutelage.

Much has been discussed of Virtanen's slow development, but he too, along with Gaunce, Labate, Pedan and Subban have spent considerable time with Green. He's known as a strong communicator who gains the respect of his players, while pushing the right buttons in order to get the most out of them. He's been with the franchise for 4 years and has his head wrapped around managements game plan.

At the current state of the franchise, it's the smart move.

The more curious question is, who will he choose to be is #2, and will this choice be the guy who runs the D?
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Travis Green is a great hire as head coach in my opinion
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BladesofSteel wrote:Two guys who could make significant contributions to the clubs success, Sven Baertschi and Jacob Markstrom, both turned their careers around under Green's tutelage.

Much has been discussed of Virtanen's slow development, but he too, along with Gaunce, Labate, Pedan and Subban have spent considerable time with Green. He's known as a strong communicator who gains the respect of his players, while pushing the right buttons in order to get the most out of them. He's been with the franchise for 4 years and has his head wrapped around managements game plan.

The more curious question is, who will he choose to be is #2, and will this choice be the guy who runs the D?
Easy to do in the AHL, how will he work with vets.

Doing a good job in the minors means little in the NHL when you have bigger egos to deal with, plus owners plus more experienced coaches on the other side. Unless he has full support of owners, management and the vets he will last only 2 years.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

As mentioned, Green has already worked with a handful of the young core over the past several years. He will continue to grow with the young team as it develops.

Who are these ego's you speak of that will prevent Green from having success? The vets? Sedins, Edler, Eriksson, Sutter, Gudbranson, Dorsett? None of these guys have ever been known to be anything but solid team guys, much less egotistical coach killers.

Bo, Boeser, Sven, Stech, Tanev, Gaunce? Nope.

Say what you will about the what this team lacks in order to become successful. Character and leadership is certainly not in question.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BurningBeard wrote:
SKYO wrote:My only worry with Green is the Eakins scenario, getting outmatched right away and losing the room.
He's a great AHL coach so he'll mesh with the Canucks roster instantly. :roll:
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Two guys who could make significant contributions to the clubs success, Sven Baertschi and Jacob Markstrom, both turned their careers around under Green's tutelage.

Easy to do in the AHL, how will he work with vets.

Doing a good job in the minors means little in the NHL when you have bigger egos to deal with, plus owners plus more experienced coaches on the other side. Unless he has full support of owners, management and the vets he will last only 2 years.
Your points are valid, Reef, and I'll go one step more. An experienced NHL coach, and I mean recent experience, knows the tendencies of almost all the NHL players on all the NHL teams.
Now call me crazy but if I was a 20 year old newbie, that would sure help my development, I would think.
"evolution"
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

I have heard presser scheduled for 11am Wednesday for coaching announcement.

The green men have left the stands and jumped into the box.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

2 yr. toss-out.

Hope I'm wrong, really I do.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sounds like Baumer will his assistant as well, cause you know we need more rookie coaches.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

SKYO wrote:Sounds like Baumer will his assistant as well, cause you know we need more rookie coaches.
I wonder if Lowrey goes to Utica?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am on the fence with this (if it happens)..

I think it will all be defined by Greens assistant coach selections, and how much he listens to them.. If Green wants to take on the world all by himself, and re-invent the wheel, I think he is in for a rough ride. If he Takes advice from some veteran assistants, and comes up with a system that jives with our current roster, he can do Ok..

His perceived success (gauged by media and fairweather fans) will be determined by the health of the team.

Guess we will see how it works out.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BladesofSteel wrote:As mentioned, Green has already worked with a handful of the young core over the past several years. He will continue to grow with the young team as it develops.

Who are these ego's you speak of that will prevent Green from having success? The vets? Sedins, Edler, Eriksson, Sutter, Gudbranson, Dorsett? None of these guys have ever been known to be anything but solid team guys, much less egotistical coach killers.

Bo, Boeser, Sven, Stech, Tanev, Gaunce? Nope.

Say what you will about the what this team lacks in order to become successful. Character and leadership is certainly not in question.
All vets and NHL players have egos.

It natural and nothing wrong with but it is a fact that they do.

Will he manage them properly, hold them accountable?

Never seen a coach except Trots hold Edler accountable?