The Sedins - time for them to hang em up?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: The Sedins - time for them to hang em up?

Post by Mickey107 »

Let the "C" and As play out over the next year. I'm all for twinsitioning as much as anybody but it's not just about new leaders in the room, those letters come with another rather nasty responsibility.
You have to be REAL good with the game rules and you have to be REAL good at whining and bitching to the officials.
It's an art, so to speak.

Mind you, Tryamkin would be somewhat intimidating, no? :lol:
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

How long has it been since the Canucks had to develop a new #1 PP and top line? I think about a decade, Bertuzzi was traded in 06/07, and the Sedins took over the team. I remember Daniel being interviewed midway through the season and saying something like there was no way he'd finish with more goals/points than Naslund, because Naslund was the best player on the team, etc. Daniel finished with 84 points, Naslund with 60.

That's a pretty different passing of the torch to this season, where Bo had 52 points to Henrik's 50. But that was with Hank having 56% more PP time than Bo. In 06/07, Naslund was on the top PP unit with the Sedins, but had slightly less PP time than them. However, the Sedins having Megna as a regular linemate was comparable to Naslund lining up with Brandon Reid and Brad Moran in 06 (I was at that game so its really stuck in my memory).

To UDub's point, the prospects with top-6 potential who we could/should see next year are Virtanen, Boeser, Goldobin, possibly Dahlen and 2017 1RP, and Boucher and Rodin might get another shot. Virtanen, Boeser, 2017 1RP and Dahlen would all be waiver-exempt. That's 3-7 "rookies"/prospects who need to be developed into offensive roles. Hopefully 2-3 of them pan out, but it would leave Dorsett and Eriksson the only forwards over 30, and Sutter the only other forward over 25.

Notwithstanding that I believe the Sedins will bounce back to 50-60 points next season and provide legitimate secondary scoring, I do think it would be too much of a rush to give their ice time to rookies.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:Stalwart Luca Sbisa with an A
He will be long gone after one more season.

Hopefully Sutter is chosen in the expansion draft so management doesn't get some brain dead idea of stitching a letter on his sweater.
Bloby, you are an Ftard. The Canucks are one season away from only having one legit centre (Horvat), and you want to lose Sutter in the expansion draft with no plan to replace him??? Brilliant!!!!
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:Horvat, Gudbranson, Sutter and Trymankin my choices for C and A.
I agree with your first 3 choices, but I'm a bit surprised with your last pick. Tryamkinsoraus does play with a lot of passion and intensity at times, I'm just not sure if his English is up to par yet and he only has 1 year experience in the NHL. I think the leaders of the club should lead on and off the ice (community, media, etc), Tryamkin has taken minimal interviews every since he has been here. With a couple years under his belt and better grasp of the language, he should definitely be considered to wear a letter on his sweater. I think Troy Stecher could be a guy down the road as well.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:Stalwart Luca Sbisa with an A
He will be long gone after one more season.

Hopefully Sutter is chosen in the expansion draft so management doesn't get some brain dead idea of stitching a letter on his sweater.
Bloby, you are an Ftard. The Canucks are one season away from only having one legit centre (Horvat), and you want to lose Sutter in the expansion draft with no plan to replace him??? Brilliant!!!!
Well coming from a mongtard I shouldn't expect much. Players of Sutters ilk are easy and cheap to acquire. He's a third line centre on a bloated long term contract. He really isn't an upgrade on Brad Richardson who was here previously. Sure he may get a few more points but he also gets first unit pp time and plays 19 min a game. For the ice time he gets the 32 points a season he gets is terrible. If was playing third line minutes like he should be he would score 25 points a season.

I would be moving one of Tanev or Edler for a young centre to play on the third line. Someone that can actually pass the puck and isn't terrified of traffic or being hit.....you know someone with "grit and balls". Maybe someone who isn't razor thin and butter soft.If you can't get a good return on Tanev or Edler put Granlund in the middle. First try and trade Sutter if you can, but I doubt there is a market for him. Expose his ass. And threaten to expose Edler if he won't accept a trade.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: And threaten to expose Edler if he won't accept a trade.
On that point, we agree.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: And threaten to expose Edler if he won't accept a trade.
On that point, we agree.
They could talk to Vegas to see if they have interest in Edler. If they do then they could work out a trade of some sort. Now they won't get full value or even fair value but that would get them around Edler's NTC.

So like we trade them Grenier for future considerations. We expose Edler. They take Edler. We consummate the future considerations part of the for example Grenier deal.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:First try and trade Sutter if you can, but I doubt there is a market for him. Expose his ass.

And threaten to expose Edler if he won't accept a trade.
Do honestly think any team would do that?

All it takes is an ask! seems pretty clear these days that's all it takes, once a player feels like management wants you to move on just have to call them up and start negotiating.

Edler is a player teams would covet - a large left side dman who can on the right team put up some decent points, can hit some bombs occasionally, would be a great fit on a veteran team where Edler isn't the head honcho dman......BUT then you get the Kesler scenario, limited to one team to trade to.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well I think the sentiment was, if he won't accept a trade then threaten to expose him. Of course if he accepts a trade you don't have to go further.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tanev would look good on Columbus for Dubois and a 1st!

Or on Edmonton for the other Finn and a 1st.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Tanev would look good on Columbus for Dubois and a 1st!

Or on Edmonton for the other Finn and a 1st.

Heck yeah.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

I know this has been 'chewed on', but jeese, watching the playoffs, one can see it sure is a young mans game. Are the Canuck's interests really being served by going fwd with two way past prime players in their mid to late thirties, taking up roster spots!? We were second last in the league in "goals for" last year, and the powerplay was inept, and the Sedin's are yet another year older. If one looks at this objectively, is it really a case of "what was" and sentimentality vs "what is?" Why not use their spaces with 'up-an-comers'? Just don't see how a re-building process should involve these two great 'once weres'. With one year left on their contracts, I guess, there's really no way around it - they're in. Too bad.
cc oldtimer
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sedins need their farewell tour next year, and they won't hurt the rebuild as we are lacking center prospects as it is, plus Gaudette is locked into college another year.

It's preferable the twins will be on the 2nd line from here on out, barring injuries.

With the big change by the Canucks graphics department and Travis Green putting the Sedins on the 2nd line in the lineup.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

nuckster wrote:I know this has been 'chewed on', but jeese, watching the playoffs, one can see it sure is a young mans game.
Good thing we don't have to worry about the playoffs next year. If we had anyone to bump the Sedins off the 2nd line, I might be concerned next year.

For now, they're there to mentor and be part of the Twinsition. If next year is anything like this year, they may not want to come back as players. If they can step up their game, maybe they'll take a big hometown discount and stick around Jagr-like.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Corn addressed this a bit while I was typing..

Well the hope was they'd be down to the 2nd or 3rd line by now (they said so themselves). They probably ARE the 2nd line now, but only Horvat out-produced them and only by 2 pts over Henrik. The next tier in scoring after Horvat-Sedin-Sedin was 10-15 pts back. I believe that the Sharks' old-guy line has 2 legitimate lines in front of them. That's what we have to hope happens here. Will Goldobin-Horvat-Granlund-Boeser-Baerschi-Eriksson be good enough to do that?