Expansion draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: Expansion draft

Post by nuckster »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol Sbisa is not a top 4 dman on any team.There will be a dozen better options for Vegas to pick from to bolster the back end.
You know, Sbisa was playing very well for the first half or so last year, maybe Green can get him to play at the level he needs to play, more consistently? Has been speculation for some time that Benning will leave Sbisa unprotected. Personally, I wouldnt be upset if he left Edler unprotected, BUT Edler has value yet and could be an ok trade chip somewhere... could easily fill a thread on what Benning should do with Edler?
cc oldtimer
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

micky107 wrote: I think basically, it's hoped by many that Gaunce can elevate his game in regards to points, but maybe even more than that, he could become one of those guys that is just plain nasty and hard to play against. Also that maybe he could become a good PK guy.
This is quite a change for him and how he saw himself when drafted.
I'm a bit curious with Gauncer too. I wonder if there's more there. He reminds me a bit of Taylor Pyatt (a gentle giant, but minus the soft hands). Just wish Gauncer had a mean streak like Kassian. Also, for a big guy, I don't like the fact that he was pretty weak in the faceoff circle. Hopefully some coaching with Manny can help him.

SKYO wrote:Actually it'll be ok to keep Brandon Sutter, I keep forgetting half the team gets injured every year, so Sutter will be handy to have around.

Jesus christ the team needs all the depth it can get thanks to having zero mass up front, all small fellas.
Sutter is like one of the bigger forwards on our team. *LOL*
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote:Actually it'll be ok to keep Brandon Sutter, I keep forgetting half the team gets injured every year, so Sutter will be handy to have around.

Jesus christ the team needs all the depth it can get thanks to having zero mass up front, all small fellas.
Sutter is like one of the bigger taller forwards on our team. *LOL*
Fixed. He's got 4 inches and 5 pounds on Goldobbin.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Five pounds! That's it? Holy shit..
A while back, SKYO made a point about Tony Twist and that he thought the older school, core conditioning methods are needed again these days.
I was going to quote, I agree, but forgot.
I agree !!!
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The Ducks are in a pickle and a shrewd genius-like GM with some cajones might be able to add a franchise/cornerstone piece in a trade if they were on the ball.
If the Ducks dont make a trade they stand to lose one of:
Silferberg
Rackell
Manson
Fowler
Vatanen
Lindholm

Any one of those 6 players would instantly pay dividends and considering the lifespan of your average NHL GM I'd say it would be a move worth making to try and clean one of them off of the Ducks. You could dangle that 5th pick as its a longshot to think the prospects ranked in our draft range would top out at or near where any of those 6 players are right now.

My thinking is the Ducks would prefer to lose Vatanen over the other 5 but i suppose it might come down to where they stand with the cap. All are excellent players...
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports
Expansion draft issues loom for Ducks after playoff exit
Cory Wilkins May 23, 2017 1:55 PM
After coming up short in the playoffs, the same Anaheim Ducks squad that just missed this year's Stanley Cup Final is unlikely to return next spring.

That's because the Ducks face arguably the biggest decisions of any team ahead of next month's expansion draft, when the incoming Vegas Golden Knights will grab a player from each team, and there are plenty of players worth plucking from the Ducks.

For the expansion draft, teams can protect one goaltender and either seven forwards and three defensemen, or any combination of eight skaters. The wrinkle: Any player with a no-movement clause cannot be exposed, unless he agrees to do so.

So if you're Ducks general manager Bob Murray, that means begging veteran defenseman Kevin Bieksa to help out by waiving his no-move clause. If not, that means the following names must stay put:

Player Position Cap Term 2016-17
Corey Perry F $8.625M 4 Years 53 Pts in 82 GP
Ryan Getzlaf F $8.25M 4 Years 73 Pts in 74 GP
Ryan Kesler F $6.875M 5 Years 58 Pts in 82 GP
Kevin Bieksa D $4M 1 Year 14 Pts in 81 GP
Given the Ducks' depth on the blue line - which was on full display in the playoffs - it's all but assured that Murray will opt for the second route, meaning Anaheim will choose to protect more than three defensemen.

And let's say that, yes, Bieksa is willing to roll the dice on ending up in Vegas. But even in that situation, Anaheim still has four defensemen it would like to hang on to: Hampus Lindholm, Sami Vatanen, Cam Fowler, and Josh Manson.

The good news is that most of the Ducks' young blue-liners, namely Brandon Montour, Shea Theodore, and Jacob Larsson, are exempt from the expansion draft. But by protecting four rearguards, that leaves just four other slots up front, with Perry, Getzlaf, and Kesler filling up all but one.

Not good news when you also plan to have Jakob Silfverberg, Rickard Rakell, and maybe even ironman Andrew Cogliano as part of your future.

So rather than lose a good asset for free, expect a Duck - either up front or on the back end - to be on the move prior to the expansion draft, as it's in Anaheim's best interest to find an asset in return rather than lose a good player for free to the Golden Knights.

Less than 24 hours removed from the playoffs, and there's already so little time for rest this offseason in Orange County.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The Ducks are in a pickle and a shrewd genius-like GM with some cajones might be able to add a franchise/cornerstone piece in a trade if they were on the ball.
Silferberg
Rackell
Manson
Fowler
Vatanen
Lindholm

Any one of those 6 players would instantly pay dividends and considering the lifespan of your average NHL GM I'd say it would be a move worth making to try and clean one of them off of the Ducks. You could dangle that 5th pick as its a longshot to think the prospects ranked in our draft range would top out at or near where any of those 6 players are right now.

My thinking is the Ducks would prefer to lose Vatanen over the other 5 but i suppose it might come down to where they stand with the cap. All are excellent players...
Good digging!
JB has this year and one more so he'll no doubt want to do something that will show dividends within that time.
It's not inconceivable that Trevor could stay and let Jim go. Just saying it's not impossible.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The Ducks are in a pickle and a shrewd genius-like GM with some cajones might be able to add a franchise/cornerstone piece in a trade if they were on the ball.
Silferberg
Rackell
Manson
Fowler
Vatanen
Lindholm

Gotta buyout Bieksa if he refuses to waive, then go the 4+4 route in the expansion draft.

Then trade Silfverberg rather than lose him in said expansion draft.

(protect Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Rakell)

(let Vegas have one of their other exposed forwards, not a big loss there)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Sutter could have refused to sign with Vancouver and become a UFA instead.
...and the team wouldn't have even noticed he was gone
He was definitely missed while injured much of his first season. Who's taking faceoffs on that side?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: He was definitely missed while injured much of his first season. Who's taking faceoffs on that side?
Yes, Sutter has been BY FAR our best faceoff man since he got here.

Amazing that most here overlook the importance of that...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

and makes Hank and Bo better just by having them stick to their own strong side.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Agreed.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper = God

Strangelove = choir

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well no, but you're preaching to the choir...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Gotta buyout Bieksa if he refuses to waive, then go the 4+4 route in the expansion draft.

Then trade Silfverberg
rather than lose him in said expansion draft.

(protect Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Rakell)

(let Vegas have one of their other exposed forwards, not a big loss there)
Silferberg being one of the 6 excellent good young-uns I would guess they want to keep.
Best iption for the ducks in my opinion is talk Perry and Bieksa into waiving and moving them for whatever they can command...then keeping the future core intact