Expansion draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Sutter could have refused to sign with Vancouver and become a UFA instead.
...and the team wouldn't have even noticed he was gone
He was definitely missed while injured much of his first season. Who's taking faceoffs on that side?
This is why he was acquired...to replace fizzler Bonino who was in the 30% range when cowgrease wiped their ass with us.
Unlike Blob I'm not so down on having BS on the team. He does make the team harder to play against and his offensive zone shortcomings are forgivable when he is half decent on his own side of the puck.
My tongue-in-cheek comment was more to do with the state of the team overall than Brandon specifically
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Gotta buyout Bieksa if he refuses to waive, then go the 4+4 route in the expansion draft.

Then trade Silfverberg
rather than lose him in said expansion draft.

(protect Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Rakell)

(let Vegas have one of their other exposed forwards, not a big loss there)
Silferberg being one of the 6 excellent good young-uns I would guess they want to keep.
Best iption for the ducks in my opinion is talk Perry and Bieksa into waiving and moving them for whatever they can command...then keeping the future core intact
That's not a bad plan and I did consider it (there's been talk of perhaps trading Perry for a year now).

But yeahno I don't think Perry/Bieksa would agree to waive, they're comfy where they are.

(well Bieksa might waive for the X draft, Vegas likely wouldn't take him and it's not far away)

Agree Silfverberg is excellent, Ducks would get a good haul for him...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Topper wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Sutter could have refused to sign with Vancouver and become a UFA instead.
...and the team wouldn't have even noticed he was gone
He was definitely missed while injured much of his first season. Who's taking faceoffs on that side?
This is why he was acquired...to replace fizzler Bonino who was in the 30% range when cowgrease wiped their ass with us.
Unlike Blob I'm not so down on having BS on the team. He does make the team harder to play against and his offensive zone shortcomings are forgivable when he is half decent on his own side of the puck.
My tongue-in-cheek comment was more to do with the state of the team overall than Brandon specifically
Meh he makes the team harder to watch. Certainly not harder to play against. He's a Sutter in name only.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

As for the Ducks, off the top of the dome I suspect trader Murray will be gun slinging asap, he's one of the most trigger happy GM's in the league the past three years, and Bryan Murray usually manages to keep all his 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks every year, if not acquiring more so they can draft/develop/trade players from depth positions, but Murray finally lost a 1st on Eaves though reluctantly as it was conditional.

The Ducks will probably have to trade another good pick again to Vegas to take someone to protect certain players, as they got an increasingly small window to win it, Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler are not getting any younger so they got no choice but to try acquire different pieces for another Cup run next year.

Their assistant gm McNab is pretty cheap to all their players, so Fowler could price himself out of Anaheim.

Thus, the one-year-till-UFA trade: Fowler for JVR or Kane or Patan or Nyquist+pick.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Meh he makes the team harder to watch. Certainly not harder to play against. He's a Sutter in name only.
He isnt physical at all but he does win draws and kill penalties well. Better than "wave at it Bonino" I must say

He isnt a core member of a team but is a serviceable piece...likely overpaid a touch
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Sutter's best is yet to come.

He's a fine complimentary centre on a rebuilding team in need of depth and leadership.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: The Ducks will probably have to trade another good pick again to Vegas to take someone to protect certain players
Yes, you may very well be right about that...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:Sutter's best is yet to come.

He's a fine complimentary centre on a rebuilding team in need of depth and leadership.
This guy gets it!

Foundational...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol his best is yet to come. He is a 32 point player and soon to be 28. He is what he is.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

You are what you are Blob.

A scoffer!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:You are what you are Blob.

A scoffer!
Lol scoff at him blobcat...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove, defending the faith from scoffers lo these many years...

____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Docs been getting it hard around here lately...probably should let him have a drink of water before he passes out :lol:

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Just saw this from Kuzma:
The NHL has allowed a pair of 72-hour negotiation windows before the expansion draft — including a free-agent period — to pursue unrestricted free agents in the NHL and unprotected restricted free agents. If any are signed, the transaction would count as an expansion-draft pick from that team.
I had been waiting to see details of these windows, but I was not aware that if Vegas signs a team's pending UFA, that counts as that team's expansion draft pick.

I don't know if that changes anything for us (unless they sign Miller before he can re-up with the Canucks), but it might make for interesting times in Pittsburgh, with Schultz as a pending UFA and possibly unlikely to fit under the cap.

Maybe everybody else was already aware of this drafting UFA rule, but I thought it was still up in the air.