Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am
theman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:20 am If Petey ever gets on a plane to Vancouver, then we know it is close.
Quinn was seen at a football game with his brother I think, on the weekend in the US somewhere. They showed it on the Donny and Donnie & Dhali show yesterday.

"I know things!" - Gomer
Toepy thinks he's witty. :drink:
#Postcount
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm Leaked rumour from a legitimate source is both contracts are close to done.

EP is 8x3 and QH is 8x8

Good enough, drop the puck
Good. Although now it's going to cost Mr Aquilini a fortune to sign Petey long term. He's going to take a beating in the wallet but it's okay with me..
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am
theman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:20 am If Petey ever gets on a plane to Vancouver, then we know it is close.
Quinn was seen at a football game with his brother I think, on the weekend in the US somewhere. They showed it on the Donny and Donnie & Dhali show yesterday.

"I know things!" - Gomer
Toepy thinks he's witty. :drink:
You thought someone was trying to be witty? :eh:

Yeahno, someone was just pointing out your lameness.

Theman says when Elias Pettersson comes to Vancouver it's a signal the contract is almost done.

The gomer responds to that with "Quinn Hughes was seen in Michigan a few days ago! I know (completely useless) things!"

You're just sad Micky, you're just a sad little man...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm Leaked rumour from a legitimate source is both contracts are close to done.

EP is 8x3 and QH is 8x8

Hmm, not sure how legit that source is.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 am I reckon this is Myers last year in Van unless he inexplicably turns it around and starts living up to his cap hit. They'll need his dough for BB/Horvat/Miller/Hoglander
A 22+ minute right-shooting dman who elevates his nastiness in the playoffs is worth $6m every day.

Myers has 100% played up to his cap hit, he was the best all-around dman they had last year.

You pay 20% extra for the right shot, imo, that's just supply and command buds.

If the Hughes deal is correct, Myers will be the #3 cap hit on d and will be the least of our worries (cough OEL).
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 am I reckon this is Myers last year in Van unless he inexplicably turns it around and starts living up to his cap hit. They'll need his dough for BB/Horvat/Miller/Hoglander
A 22+ minute right-shooting dman who elevates his nastiness in the playoffs is worth $6m every day.

Myers has 100% played up to his cap hit, he was the best all-around dman they had last year.

If the Hughes deal is correct, Myers will be the #3 cap hit on d and will be the least of our worries (cough OEL).
He's only worth maybe $2.75 to me, but it's like they say. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:29 pm

EP is 8x3 and QH is 8x8

Nor am I
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm A 22+ minute right-shooting dman who elevates his nastiness in the playoffs is worth $6m every day.

If he was their best all round dman, it would explain their lack of success

:D

He did elevate his game, I'll give him that but if it wasnt for that glimpse of potential...his contract would be inching into Loui Eriksson bad territory
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:29 pm

EP is 8x3 and QH is 8x8

Nor am I
You just said it was from a legitimate source :lol:

:scowl:

just bugging
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:04 pm You just said it was from a legitimate source :lol:

:scowl:

just bugging
I want to believe!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm A 22+ minute right-shooting dman who elevates his nastiness in the playoffs is worth $6m every day.

If he was their best all round dman, it would explain their lack of success

:D

He did elevate his game, I'll give him that but if it wasnt for that glimpse of potential...his contract would be inching into Loui Eriksson bad territory
Who the hell looked good in Green's take it in the ass with no lube defensive system? I seem to recall Hughes getting a shitload of flack last season for not being able to skate the puck out solo and repeatedly turning it over at our own blueline.

QH didn't exactly have a stellar campaign in his own zone, like all of the other Dmen. Nate Schmidt was a prime example of the night and day difference from one system to another.

A proven 6'7" RHD with that many NHL games as a UFA is going to cost a pretty penny no matter what.

I expect everyone to be better this season... especially the coaches.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm

He's only worth maybe $2.75 to me, but it's like they say. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Well, here's the basest way I look at it - someone's gotta eat the minutes on the right side. We've gone a season with a bargain basement Hutton eating them, and he had a career year, and the team was right in the toilet
We had many years with Tanev intended to eat those minutes, and he was playing 40-60 games while tying up cap space that could have improved the team in the off-season. Tanev looked great when not eating those minutes and staying healthy in his final year, but he wasn't the 22 minute defender.

Myers came along, and everyone was so down on him because as the only RD and with dhaliwal shilling hard for the agent the rumor was $7 x7. Low and behold, that rumor is totally and wrong and the top ufa RD signs for $6x6.

Since then, he's been the best, most reliable defender on THIS team. He's not Pietrangelo sure, but he's signed shorter and far, far cheaper.

He's not the greatest RD in the league, but he's damn good. And more than anyone else, he was tough and better in the playoffs.

If there was an equivalent top-pair RD on a 2.75 contract, you'd be paying multiple 1rps or top prospects to acquire. I can't think of an example though, because I don't see any 22+ minute, 30+ point BIG right shooting dmen who make less than $6m.

Parayko is a good comp, and he's got a $6.5M cap hit until age 37.

But if you think Myers is closer to Gudbranson than to Parayko, I see your point. But I think Myers is a far better, more solid player, and I think $6m is right there for market value for RD. And sadly, there isn't a top prospect coming on the right side to supplant Myers in the top role.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Bro, not even close lol.

Loui was in the press box as the top paid forward. Myers will be the 3rd highest paid d and probably playing the most minutes in all situations.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Myers is an ok 4/5 guy. Overpaid by a million or 1.5. It’s not his fault the team has had a gaping hole on the right side for the better part of a decade. He’s no Salo, he’s no Bieksa, he’s no Tanev but he’s pretty much the best they have on that side. He’s somewhat physical, makes a decent first pass and can shoot the puck. Comparing him to Eriksson isn’t cool though.

Just because he plays 22 minutes on this garbage fire of a D doesn’t mean he would get those minutes elsewhere. And he hasn’t been in a shutdown role here in his two years. Tanev and Schmidt ate a lot of those minutes.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:41 pm Just because he plays 22 minutes on this garbage fire of a D doesn’t mean he would get those minutes elsewhere.
Well he averaged 22 minutes per game during his 5 years in Winnipeg

... and that was a playoff team for 3 of those 5 years.

But sure, he might be overpaid by a mil and more comfortable at closer to 20 minutes.

Whatevs, not that much of an overpay... and hey top-4 RSD UFAs tend to get overpaid.

I like the way Jimmy structured it so that he only gets $1M in real dollars (post bonus) in the last year.

He may well get moved at that point, who knows, but his contract isn't really a problem at this point...
____
Try to focus on someday.