Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Richardstroker69 »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:04 am think he walks and we don't have that problem. This also means that we would most likely have to protect his replacement: Myers/Gardiner/Zaitsev
We wouldn’t have to protect zaitsev
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:04 am think he walks and we don't have that problem. This also means that we would most likely have to protect his replacement: Myers/Gardiner/Zaitsev
If he wants to win he probably should leave. This team is a few years away from winning and he is 33.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 am
Edler's age (33) is the biggest reason why we don't want to burn a protection spot on him. It has nothing to do with his current play or anything like that. It's forecasting based on typical trends. If we had a crystal ball and the Canucks could see that in 3 years Edler was going to be the same player he was this year and give us 70 games, then it's not an issue.

Myers, Gardiner, and Zaitsev, are all at least 3 years younger than Edler. That being said it's not unreasonable to think that Myers and Gardiner will want at least 5 year contracts. With that in mind does it not make more sense to give Edler a 3 year deal with protection that takes him to 36 years old rather than pay more (Myers and Gardiner) and still have to protect a guy who will be under contract until they are 34 or 35?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:51 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 am
Edler's age (33) is the biggest reason why we don't want to burn a protection spot on him. It has nothing to do with his current play or anything like that. It's forecasting based on typical trends. If we had a crystal ball and the Canucks could see that in 3 years Edler was going to be the same player he was this year and give us 70 games, then it's not an issue.

Myers, Gardiner, and Zaitsev, are all at least 3 years younger than Edler. That being said it's not unreasonable to think that Myers and Gardiner will want at least 5 year contracts. With that in mind does it not make more sense to give Edler a 3 year deal with protection that takes him to 36 years old rather than pay more (Myers and Gardiner) and still have to protect a guy who will be under contract until they are 34 or 35?
If zaitsev sucks as bad as some people say though we could make this trade and have a Luca sbisa situation.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'd rather edler back than any of gardiner myers or fuckin zaitzev
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 am I'd rather edler back than any of gardiner myers or fuckin zaitzev
Me too but I’m liking Elmer sticking to his guns. I prefer Jett Black Reservoir Dogs Elmer to the guy that was on the job for the first three seasons
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 am I'd rather edler back than any of gardiner myers or fuckin zaitzev
Agree, but Benning can't yield on the NMC in regards to the expansion draft. Edler must understand that he has to be exposed for the good of the team.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Image FREE ZONE

I hope we don't trade for either Zaitsev or Zucker.
Zaitsev is not an upgrade on Hutton, not really.
Zucker, unless things are really being misinterpreted, isn't worth what we're hearing.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:58 am I was thinking 14m over 2 years, or 19m over 3 with NMC for first 2 and NTC for final year. Something along those lines. Edler has to realize that for the good of the franchise, he needs to be exposed for the expansion draft. Perhaps go as high as 21m over 3, with the movement protection listed above?
Problem is that trade protection expires June 30th. So if he has a 3-4 year deal and the second year has a NMC he needs to be protected because it is not an expiring contract. So if he wants more than two years it’s a NTC after year one.

His fear obviously is that Seattle would select him. Edler feels he has at least 4 more years and wants that final contract with the security of not having to move. We can’t promise to re-sign him after the expansion draft, it’s unrealistic and he knows it. His play could deteriorate, he could be injured, Benning could be gone, he could just not fit moving forward.

As the summer moves along he and his wife will become more comfortable with the idea of moving on. If someone offers 3-4 years at the coin he wants with a full NMC he should take it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:39 am If the Canucks lose Edler and replace him with Gardiner or Myers or Zaitsev or a combo of these guys, this team is in a shit heap of trouble. For all the heat Edler gets from some on here he is a legit top pairing guy and the only one on the roster due to Tanev being constantly injured.

He plays some of the toughest 25 minutes in the league. The guy is a horse. He is far and away the second best UFA d man and it isn’t close. I don’t want to see Elmer capitulate on that NMC but would Edler take two years at 7.5 per year? Then re up after the ED? It saves Elmer from himself and Edler gets big bucks and can end his career here.

If Edler walks a bottom five finish is pretty much a lock
During a Dallas game there was an interview with ex-Canuck assistant coach Rick Bowness. Most of it was puff piece reminiscence of life in Vancouver but he commented on a few of the players it was good to see again. The thing he said about Edler was his remarkable strength.

I had noticed in the past some of Edlers hits, but if you really watch you can see him move opponents quietly and efficiently. He is a beast. He never lived up to his early expectations and has always heard footsteps when his back is turned, but he is still the best defender Vancouver has.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

From page 48 of a Minnesota Wild HF thread;
Re: Boeser, I don’t really know if he’s an elite player. His two way game isn’t really there, he doesn’t really drive play, he’s basically a better version of Zucker and I tend to think he gets very overrated by Vancouver fans and to a lesser extent by neutral fans. He’s definitely an upgrade on Zucker, but I don’t think the difference is 12oa in this draft.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:39 am If the Canucks lose Edler and replace him with Gardiner or Myers or Zaitsev or a combo of these guys, this team is in a shit heap of trouble. For all the heat Edler gets from some on here he is a legit top pairing guy and the only one on the roster due to Tanev being constantly injured.

He plays some of the toughest 25 minutes in the league. The guy is a horse. He is far and away the second best UFA d man and it isn’t close. I don’t want to see Elmer capitulate on that NMC but would Edler take two years at 7.5 per year? Then re up after the ED? It saves Elmer from himself and Edler gets big bucks and can end his career here.

If Edler walks a bottom five finish is pretty much a lock
During a Dallas game there was an interview with ex-Canuck assistant coach Rick Bowness. Most of it was puff piece reminiscence of life in Vancouver but he commented on a few of the players it was good to see again. The thing he said about Edler was his remarkable strength.

I had noticed in the past some of Edlers hits, but if you really watch you can see him move opponents quietly and efficiently. He is a beast. He never lived up to his early expectations and has always heard footsteps when his back is turned, but he is still the best defender Vancouver has.
All very true, Edler is the best canucks dman, a difference maker.

However we could very well get Tryamkin back in a year

Our left D would be pretty solid then
Edler? w/NTC.
Hughes
Tryamkin
Hutton
Juolevi

DEPTH:
Sautner
Brisebois
Teves

So unless we plan on moving a lefty to RD, it could get pretty crowded.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I didn't say the Canucks could not do without, my point was that many don't see, even with his slowing down, how much Edler does for the team.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm I didn't say the Canucks could not do without, my point was that many don't see, even with his slowing down, how much Edler does for the team.
I've been one of Edler's biggest detractors around these parts for years, but the past two years I've seen what he does, and anyone who is on the fence about it need look no further than our record this year with him vs without him.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 am He never lived up to his early expectations and has always heard footsteps when his back is turned, but he is still the best defender Vancouver has.
Yep.