Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Mickey107 »

This is the Spotac link. I find it better than the Cap Friendly one...:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm I was very pleased with how he finished the season. I also don’t think we’ve seen the best of him. I also want a fair contract for him and hope Benning doesn’t let it get contentious. But Benning has no rush. If it takes all summer so be it. I think he gets 7-8 years but only if Benning is willing to go 8-9 per. I’m just not sure he’s there yet.
I look at the Tarasenko deal (8 years, $60M) as the absolute high-end for Brock. He had higher totals coming out of his ELC, playoff-proven (10G in 13 GP) and a top-10 scorer. Brock was younger by two years, and had a better goals/game.

Unfortunately for the Canucks, that deal would be worth $8.5M today.
That is a good comparable actually, and you can't factor playoff scoring into that kind of comparison because it's not Brock's fault that the Canucks are about half as good as St. Louis was when Tarasenko inked his current deal.
Based on what we saw in the last 2 months of the season I think Brock has a more well-rounded game already than Tarasenko does now. Tarasenko isn't a lazy player defensively, but even in these playoffs he hasn't shone in terms of defensive play from what I've seen or heard or read. Brock was starting to stand out towards the end, although if we're all honest some of that could just have been because of the stark contrast it was from the start of the season.

When considering that comparable, if Brock is willing to sign full term, Benning would be smart to give him upwards of $8M x 8 years. Factoring in that based on a salary cap of $83M Tarasenko's deal is actually a shade upwards of $8.7M in value in terms of total cap percentage, so if that's on the table, and Benning is confident that Brock is a guy who won't just take his money and pull a Louie Eriksson, then take $8.5M and run if you get the full term.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm I was very pleased with how he finished the season. I also don’t think we’ve seen the best of him. I also want a fair contract for him and hope Benning doesn’t let it get contentious. But Benning has no rush. If it takes all summer so be it. I think he gets 7-8 years but only if Benning is willing to go 8-9 per. I’m just not sure he’s there yet.
I look at the Tarasenko deal (8 years, $60M) as the absolute high-end for Brock. He had higher totals coming out of his ELC, playoff-proven (10G in 13 GP) and a top-10 scorer. Brock was younger by two years, and had a better goals/game.

Unfortunately for the Canucks, that deal would be worth $8.5M today.
That is a good comparable actually, and you can't factor playoff scoring into that kind of comparison because it's not Brock's fault that the Canucks are about half as good as St. Louis was when Tarasenko inked his current deal.
Based on what we saw in the last 2 months of the season I think Brock has a more well-rounded game already than Tarasenko does now. Tarasenko isn't a lazy player defensively, but even in these playoffs he hasn't shone in terms of defensive play from what I've seen or heard or read. Brock was starting to stand out towards the end, although if we're all honest some of that could just have been because of the stark contrast it was from the start of the season.

When considering that comparable, if Brock is willing to sign full term, Benning would be smart to give him upwards of $8M x 8 years. Factoring in that based on a salary cap of $83M Tarasenko's deal is actually a shade upwards of $8.7M in value in terms of total cap percentage, so if that's on the table, and Benning is confident that Brock is a guy who won't just take his money and pull a Louie Eriksson, then take $8.5M and run if you get the full term.
I don't hold the lack of playoffs against Brock, but it is something Tarasenko's agent could point to in his negotiation with the Blues, which could have have inflated his value. They're different types of player for sure. Tarasenko is far more dynamic and has 1-on-1 ability Brock lacks, but Brock's shot is one of the best in the league.

We're probably talking a difference of $1-2M per year for those extra couple seasons ($6M bridge vs. $8M long-term). Not likely hills worth dying on if you're either side. It needs to be said that these would be easier deals to sign if the bottom-half of the roster was clogged with overpaid plugs.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Had a bit of fun arm-chair GM'ing on capfriendly today with some downtime at work....

Started by trading Sutter, Gaunce, and 4th to Ottawa for Borowiecki and a 7th. From the Canucks perspective it's a cap dump.

Then I re-signed Edler, Hutton, Schenn, and Boeser, and grabbed Skinner from UFA.

Virtanen - Pettersson - Boeser ($8.5M)
Pearson - Horvat - Skinner ($6.5M)
Roussel - Gaudette - Baertschi
Schaller - Beagle - Eriksson
Spooner

Edler ($6M) - Tanev
Hutton ($3.2M) - Stecher
Hughes - Schenn ($1.2M)
Borowiecki ($1.2M) - Biega

Markstrom
Demko

Total cap hit is $73.65M.

Looking at it from that perspective and it's easy to see that if we could be in play for any of the blueline upgrades that people talk about, Karlsson, Trouba, Myers, Stralman, and even maybe a look at Gardiner, especially true if we were to move out Tanev and/or Eriksson.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A thought.....

With all of us having a laugh at the potential for the Maple Leaves to be forced into a hard decision if someone drops an offer sheet on Marner, are we in any kind of similar predicament where Boeser is concerned?

Or can we tender a qualifying offer to protect him from an offer sheet while the negotiations take place?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:36 pm A thought.....

With all of us having a laugh at the potential for the Maple Leaves to be forced into a hard decision if someone drops an offer sheet on Marner, are we in any kind of similar predicament where Boeser is concerned?

Or can we tender a qualifying offer to protect him from an offer sheet while the negotiations take place?
He’s not eligible for an offer sheet yet
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:36 pm A thought.....

He’s not eligible for an offer sheet yet
If a kid burns a year off his ELC by joining after the college season ends, then the tradeoff is he isn't eligible for an offer sheet after the ELC expires.

It will apply to Q Hughes as well, and I assume it applies to Tryamkin?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:32 pm
If a kid burns a year off his ELC by joining after the college season ends, then the tradeoff is he isn't eligible for an offer sheet after the ELC expires.

Thanks, ESQ. Not many know that, anywhere. Including "some" radio personalities. :lol:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks, ESQ. Not many know that, anywhere. Including "some" radio personalities. :lol:
I know, a while ago I ranted a bit about the talking heads being oblivious to dat dere.

Hughes and Gaudette will be in the same position as Boeser when their contracts are up.

Less negotiating power for the players and no worries of offer sheets.

Genie-ass!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:22 pm Had a bit of fun arm-chair GM'ing on capfriendly today with some downtime at work....

Started by trading Sutter, Gaunce, and 4th to Ottawa for Borowiecki and a 7th. From the Canucks perspective it's a cap dump.

Then I re-signed Edler, Hutton, Schenn, and Boeser, and grabbed Skinner from UFA.

Spooner

Edler ($6M) - Tanev
Hutton ($3.2M) - Stecher
Hughes - Schenn ($1.2M)

Markstrom
Demko

Looking at it from that perspective and it's easy to see that if we could be in play for any of the blueline upgrades that people talk about, Karlsson, Trouba, Myers, Stralman, and even maybe a look at Gardiner, especially true if we were to move out Tanev and/or Eriksson.
lol so 40-goal UFA Skinner is going to sign for $6.5M while 30-goal RFA Boeser get's $8.5M?

If they could triple-up Hutton's salary for Karlsson, that would be swell. Move Hutton out for a 3rd round pick (or use him as an add to our 3rd for another 2nd) at the draft.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I believe you, but where did you find that tid-bit? Google only seems to return searches that just say "RFA", or "RFA that did not select arbitration". I can't find any reference to a burned year of ELC.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:39 am
Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:22 pm Had a bit of fun arm-chair GM'ing on capfriendly today with some downtime at work....

Spooner

Edler ($6M) - Tanev
Hutton ($3.2M) - Stecher
Hughes - Schenn ($1.2M)

Markstrom
Demko

lol so 40-goal UFA Skinner is going to sign for $6.5M while 30-goal RFA Boeser get's $8.5M?

If they could triple-up Hutton's salary for Karlsson, that would be swell. Move Hutton out for a 3rd round pick (or use him as an add to our 3rd for another 2nd) at the draft.
Boeser is 23 and projected by many to be a 70-80 point winger who should approach 40 goals on a regular basis over 82 games.

Skinner is 27 and has only hit that mark once, came close one other time, and he has maxed out twice at 63 points. Up until the rumor about him getting a possible offer from Buffalo for around $9M on an extension, I don't think I had ever heard of anyone putting Jeff Skinner in the salary range of Sidney Crosby.

That's not to say I disagree with your point. If Boeser is wanting that much it only makes sense that Skinner would get something similar.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Skinner may have somewhat of a concussion weakness, I don't know but you can't deny his excellent attendance record.
That probably means, like the Sedins, he knows how to manage himself.
I actually think Brock does too and although things didn't look right the first 3rd of the season, I think he was doing
a rehab on the fly sort of thing. He got stronger over time. He drooped some pounds, over time, but not before he should.

Boeser has a higher ceiling than Skinner. If Skinner only wanted 7, I''d be interested. On either of the top 2 lines.
Oh Well. F****** Cap.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Elliotte Friedman:
ALEX EDLER

EF: “I’ve heard some really interesting things about this whole situation. There is definitely a feeling this has gone off the rails. But one thing that people have always warned me about is the real deadline is coming up. If it’s not July 1 itself or June 23, when you can first start talking to players, this week is a big week for a lot of teams. They want to know where their guys are going, if they’re staying or going. I have heard San Jose if they lose some of their D. I still think there’s a chance that maybe Vancouver and him sort it out, but this is definitely more difficult than anybody expected it would be. And there are people convinced he will not be going back to Vancouver, but again, look, if he really wants to go back and they really want him there’s a path there. I hesitate to say 100 per cent yes or no, but there’s no question this has been a lot harder than everyone thought it would be.

“The issue is 1) Term, and 2) Expansion draft availability. They want him eligible for the expansion draft, he doesn’t want to be.”
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 am

I believe you, but where did you find that tid-bit? Google only seems to return searches that just say "RFA", or "RFA that did not select arbitration". I can't find any reference to a burned year of ELC.
To be eligible for an offer sheet the player must have completed 3 professional seasons.

A professional season under that definition is 10+ games.
____
Try to focus on someday.