Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:25 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:29 am
micky107 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 am I'm just a messenger reporting what's out there, OK?
Irfaan Gaffar
‏Verified account
@sportsnetirf

#Canucks and Boeser camp expected to meet again soon. Told the two sides are not close at all.
10:20 AM - 30 May 2019
I’d be curious to know the numbers, but I think they need to take a harder line with Brock, because the negotiations won’t get any easier in the years to come. He’s not arbitration-eligible, so now is the time to play hard ball.
I say just lock him up for 8x8 and be done with it. It’ll be like Draisaitl’s contract where initially it’ll be high but a bargain in a couple of years.
^This. Exactly. Hes going to be unreal next year and the price will go up. We dont want to get dumass'd :lol:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cornuck wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:05 am Remember Brock was doing just fine in his rookie year, and likely would have won the Calder without his injury - imagine the Canucks with TWO Calders in a row?

He's a natural sniper and the best we had seen since Bure - and is right up there with Elias. Of course, EP has the complete game and makes others better - but Brock is still a star without him.
I think Brock's wrist still isn't 100%, which makes his 26 goals in 69 games even more impressive.

But its tricky - what do you pay a star winger who hasn't cracked 30 goals yet?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

theman wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am Just pay Boeser 7 mill for 8 years and be done with it. I would even go as high as 7.5 actually. The bridge contracts seem to be disappearing in the NHL BTW.
True, the bridge contracts seem to be disappearing for young top players

... but so too do 8 year contracts.

I think Boeser's contract ends up being $7M - $7.5M x 6 years.
____
Try to focus on someday.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:25 pm
theman wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am Just pay Boeser 7 mill for 8 years and be done with it. I would even go as high as 7.5 actually. The bridge contracts seem to be disappearing in the NHL BTW.

If we buy up UFA years, I would go to $8 x 8. I wouldn't want this to drag on too long into the summer if I were the Canucks.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

theman wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:27 pm

If we buy up UFA years, I would go to $8 x 8.
I would too, but I doubt Boeser's camp wants to go any more than 6 years.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm
theman wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:27 pm

If we buy up UFA years, I would go to $8 x 8.
I would too, but I doubt Boeser's camp wants to go any more than 6 years.
Yeah the temptation of a big ufa payday is tough to deny. If however they give him a huge front loaded heavy bonus laden 8x8 deal, I could see them being tempted by it. 30-40 million in in the first 3 years of the contract would be hard to say no to. Plus aqua has the money to do those types of deals.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning likes his bridge deals. He also likes his show me contracts. He doesn’t like deals that go past 6 years. Doesn’t mean he won’t do them, just that he likes 6 years or less.

With Boeser I could see Benning trying a 2-3 year show me deal. It won’t fly. I could see him pushing a 5-6 year deal. Then I see him capitulating on an 8 year deal. Benning doesn’t like giving the kids the big bucks.

Boeser has only been around two seasons. He has some big warts in his game to keep working on. He’s still learning out there and yes he is coming off two seasons where injuries have played a part. The kid oozes offensive potential, I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him. But just from comments Benning has made throughout the year my sense is that he’d like to see more from Brock. I think it would pain Benning to go 8x8 at this point.

Benning is old school. Earn your big contract. Earn your way onto the team. Do your time. Whatever the situation he wants the kids to earn it. There have been exceptions, Boeser, Pettersson and now Hughes.

Early indications are that the Canucks opening offer is miles away from where Brock wants to be. He took all summer with Bo. Unless Boeser is more aligned with Benning’s thinking I could see this go all summer. He has all the leverage. Personally I think a Bo type deal is appropriate for Boeser right now. Yes, I hope, he will end up a 100 point guy that deserves and demands big bucks on his next deal.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Boeser isn’t signing a six year deal for 5.5 annually. He’s accomplished more than Horvat did to the points when their ELC’s expired, not to mention the cap has increased 8 - 10 %. A bridge is dangerous because if he lights it up he’s going to want mega bucks. I envision Brock as a 35 goal 70 point guy. Maybe he touches 40 goals once or twice and 80 points. He looked a lot better in the last 1/3 of the season when he seemed to be healthier and skating better.

For all the deserved flack Elmer gets for his UFA signings, his RFA work hasn’t been too bad.

Six to seven years 7.2 - 7.8 million.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

No offense to Horvat at all. He is Captain material in his leadership qualities and is a damn good hockey player.
Even better if he gets at least one line mate that's on a par with himself. Take away Boeser and Pettersson and that does not exist
on this team as it sits.

Brock Boeser is a more talented player than Horvat. He is a more talented player than Nylander.
His skating and endurance will keep improving as the back injury and all the side effects that accompany an injury
of that magnitude diminish. The wrist, IMO, gets too much press as being something to worry about.
It's already been said, it's not long term and I believe that as I have had temporary problems to my shooting wrist a few times.

Brock has leadership qualities too. Very much he does. He is always helping and supporting his team mates.
The cameras clearly have shown that, plenty.

In the second half of this past season, his defensive game was improving by leaps and bounds.
He on many occasions was the fist forward back.

I could go on and on about Brock Boeser.

If Benning thinks a bridge, (show me) deal is going to happen, I simply laugh my fucking ass off.
This isn't Ben Hutton or Marcus Granlund we're are talking about.

If Benning uses old school methods with Brock Boeser, Brock Boeser will be gone, (one way or another), and so will Jim Benning.
In this case, acceptable contract for this player are;
7/7.5/8- for 7 or 8 yrs. If it to be only 6 years-at least 8
Again a 2 year deal will be an unmitigated disaster long term and black-mark this franchise.

I am so old, (not really), that I still remember that late 70s phrase; Don't take a chance, keep it in your pan**.
This isn't one of those times !!!!!!!!!!!

Wids: I still don't believe Brock was a lazy coot in the off-season. :) :)
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think he was ill prepared for what it takes to play in and stay in the NHL. He’s said so himself, that the next level, the NHL, was the hardest transition he’s had. And that now he knows what it takes to be ready. I think two off season surgeries in a row really hampered him, I give him that. I think coming off a scary back injury that had him wondering if he’d ever play again, and then having to get over the mental aspect of taking a hit again, hampered him. I give him that.

All I’m saying is I saw a player whose natural gifts were good enough for him to get as far as he did. He didn’t learn the off ice part of it. And I saw a player who thought offensive and left the D to others. But he explain a lot of that. Part of it was the mental part of coming back after the back injury and part of it was figuring out the on ice stuff, positioning, and expectations.

I agree with you, the last 20-25 games he was a much better all round player. His leadership qualities emerged, he was back checking, he was playing harder along the wall and he seemed faster. He has talked about adding all that muscle last year was perhaps the wrong approach and that this summer he has a whole new routine. He also said he wants to work on his skating and overall conditioning.

I was very pleased with how he finished the season. I also don’t think we’ve seen the best of him. I also want a fair contract for him and hope Benning doesn’t let it get contentious. But Benning has no rush. If it takes all summer so be it. I think he gets 7-8 years but only if Benning is willing to go 8-9 per. I’m just not sure he’s there yet.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Brock has a 50+ goal season or 3 in him. He's that good.

No, i sure hope benning doesnt try and play hardball with this kid as hes got elite level talent and drive.

If Pettersson continues to blossom and Brock can reach his potential...thats a championship calibre top line pairing to go with a hopefully 60+ point dman in Hughes
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:20 pm Brock has a 50+ goal season or 3 in him. He's that good.

No, i sure hope benning doesnt try and play hardball with this kid as hes got elite level talent and drive.

If Pettersson continues to blossom and Brock can reach his potential...thats a championship calibre top line pairing to go with a hopefully 60+ point dman in Hughes
Roger that. He’s not worth Draisaitl money yet and so he should be given a bit less. Draisaitl got his big contract because he had a decent year and then an incredible playoff showing. But Leon doesn’t get 100 points without McDavid.

If Brock will sign 8 years then give him $8M.....but that’s it. If he will only sign 6 or 7 then give him $7M. If he wants that extra million he needs to give the extra year.

With the exception of Chicago, no team has won anything paying 2 players franchise level cap hits.....and Chicago only got it done because their all star top pairing defensemen were underpaid and their goaltending was also better than the payroll reflected. Since they’ve had to pay a few guys more they have been less of a factor.

I think Benning realizes this and that’s why he’s reluctant to go big on top players, especially young ones. Unfortunately he loses his negotiating position some what because he has paid 2nd and 3rd line money to 3rd and 4th line players (Eriksson, Beagle, and Sutter, most noticeably).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm I was very pleased with how he finished the season. I also don’t think we’ve seen the best of him. I also want a fair contract for him and hope Benning doesn’t let it get contentious. But Benning has no rush. If it takes all summer so be it. I think he gets 7-8 years but only if Benning is willing to go 8-9 per. I’m just not sure he’s there yet.
I look at the Tarasenko deal (8 years, $60M) as the absolute high-end for Brock. He had higher totals coming out of his ELC, playoff-proven (10G in 13 GP) and a top-10 scorer. Brock was younger by two years, and had a better goals/game.

Unfortunately for the Canucks, that deal would be worth $8.5M today.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I've decided not to get all worried because of one Sportsnet rumor. What they think is far apart
might be one year or even half a million.
JB has no choice to speak very soon now and he will be asked, so......
Makes me laugh to think Benning would play the big tough negotiator tyrant with his crowning achievement
at drafting. FFS, Brock Boeser at 23 overall. AND, it wasn't a fluke in the same way as some Nhl stars have
become what they are from later draft picks. Nope. His talents were there for any GM to see. They just didn't
think a college pretty boy was worth top 20; morons.

There is zero value to the team or it's reputation; anyones reputation, not to get this done without a F**king soap opera.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I won't be surprised with a 2 year deal at $5.5-6. That gives Brock 2 more chances to hit 40 goals, which I think he would have in his rookie year without the wrist injury or he would have last year without the back and wrist recovery.

But maybe Benning isn't looking short-term, because of the risk of offer sheet (Brock is immune this year) and because of the likely cap increase-rebound once Seattle enters.

But maybe Benning is, but Brock is refusing because of the risk of labour strife!

So many variables that don't get captured in a tweet.