Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Mickey107 »

Steady Eddy has earned the right to be in control of his own destiny. Too bad for him he wont be looking at an optimum situation for himself.

Timing sucks. Same for everyone but you admire a player that totally dedicated himself to one team and has always been absolutely professional

about it. Over the years, has had the good fortune to be paired up with some good partners but never bitched about being saddled with crappy ones.

Even at his age, worth a good 2.5 to 2.8 per, for two years, minimum.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Micky wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:31 pm Steady Eddy has earned the right to be in control of his own destiny. Too bad for him he wont be looking at an optimum situation for himself.

Timing sucks. Same for everyone but you admire a player that totally dedicated himself to one team and has always been absolutely professional

about it. Over the years, has had the good fortune to be paired up with some good partners but never bitched about being saddled with crappy ones.
He got one, $6M per for a couple years, a nice tidy sum, he's been a steady #2 (a assistant to the regional manager type), an awesome Canuck soldier and will be rewarded as such.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Guys, Edler's next contract is a 35+ one.

Meaning he can have a lower base salary plus bonuses.

If his play is good enough he'll trigger bonuses.

No doubt something fair for both sides can be worked out...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:37 pm assistant to the regional manager
:lol:

I see what you did there

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:31 pm Steady Eddy has earned the right to be in control of his own destiny.
And this is where fans emotions get in the way of hockey being a business.

The only thing a player earns is the right for teams to bid on their skill sets, and that price is determined by market value based off results and intangibles. As a fan, we hope he stays for the right salary, but if the player wants more money (or term) than his play/skill set/intangibles deserves, the team must move on from the player (See Tanev and Markstrom). If the team decides it will be better without the player, perhaps needs culture change or roster space, the team must move on from the player (see Chara).

Only in the case of an exceptional player should the player ever be in charge of their destiny (see Sedins/Yzerman), and even then, it should only happen once in a generation as it’s usually better for the team to recoup assets if possible (Gretzky).

You can’t build a successful franchise if every player is considered an exception. Winning the cup is war. Players are all soldiers with a role, and by definition, soldiers are expendable.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Eddy married into Vancouver and the canucks. He will never go anywhere and will sign team friendly deals til hes done. Hes moving onto one year contracts from now on

Mrs Edler has his balls in a smaller jar than The Beave does with Rummys shriveling berries
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:28 am Eddy married into Vancouver and the canucks. He will never go anywhere and will sign team friendly deals til hes done. Hes moving onto one year contracts from now on

Mrs Edler has his balls in a smaller jar than The Beave does with Rummys shriveling berries
All true but he ain’t signing for 1.5 million or 2.8 or whatever other asinine number I saw . He’s still a quality hockey player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Elder is on the downward spiral. Chara his ass.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:26 am Elder is on the downward spiral. Chara his ass.
I’m all for gonging him once there is an internal replacement. To get a younger version of Edler on the trade market would be a fortune. These guys never get to UFA and if they do they are looking for a massive payday. The man still chews up the toughest ice time on the team and does it well. One year deals at a time until then.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Schmidt will be a godsend as far as Edler's durability goes. He will be doing the heavy lifting now so Eddy can settle into a reduced roll. Watch him have a great year with the reduced work load
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I could see doing a 1 year deal at 3 mil after this one but wouldn’t be too keen on it. At his age I think 2 mil is more fair value. also why I would like to bring in a Vatanen or Harmonic on a 1.5 this year, see how they go and choose the cheaper option for next year. This is assuming of young guys do step up and can fill any potential void.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 am Schmidt will be a godsend as far as Edler's durability goes. He will be doing the heavy lifting now so Eddy can settle into a reduced roll. Watch him have a great year with the reduced work load
Lol why have two well rounded guys when you can have one? Schmidt has not been a staple on the PK like Edler has for a decade +. This team needs more good players, not less.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

theman wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:56 am I could see doing a 1 year deal at 3 mil after this one but wouldn’t be too keen on it. At his age I think 2 mil is more fair value. also why I would like to bring in a Vatanen or Harmonic on a 1.5 this year, see how they go and choose the cheaper option for next year. This is assuming of young guys do step up and can fill any potential void.
And if I was Edler I’d say suck a bag of dicks and go somewhere else for a couple years at 4.5 million a year. Lotsa teams would pony up for Alex Edler at the end of the season. The guy is still a very effective player and people want to pay him less than Jay Beagle or Brandon Sutter.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:09 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 am Schmidt will be a godsend as far as Edler's durability goes. He will be doing the heavy lifting now so Eddy can settle into a reduced roll. Watch him have a great year with the reduced work load
Lol why have two well rounded guys when you can have one? Schmidt has not been a staple on the PK like Edler has for a decade +. This team needs more good players, not less.
Schmidt is a much better player than Eddy is now and will absolutely be logging big minutes including on the PK. Hes not a one dimension player whatsoever.

BTW I'm not advocating losing Edler at all...quite the opposite
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:12 am
theman wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:56 am I could see doing a 1 year deal at 3 mil after this one but wouldn’t be too keen on it. At his age I think 2 mil is more fair value. also why I would like to bring in a Vatanen or Harmonic on a 1.5 this year, see how they go and choose the cheaper option for next year. This is assuming of young guys do step up and can fill any potential void.
And if I was Edler I’d say suck a bag of dicks and go somewhere else for a couple years at 4.5 million a year. Lotsa teams would pony up for Alex Edler at the end of the season. The guy is still a very effective player and people want to pay him less than Jay Beagle or Brandon Sutter.
I get what you are saying but those contracts were also before a flat cap which is probably not going to go up much if at all after this season. It is Edler’s choice if he wants to sign on the dotted line at that price to stay in Vancouver. Also Sutter and Beagle’s contracts will be gone sooner than later.