Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:09 pm Lol at Lind or MacEwen playing centre at the NHL level.
Why not? 3rd or 4th line? Both have played a fair bit at centre over their young careers. I agree regarding the top 2 lines, no obviously.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:48 am So what current contracts are expiring after this season? I got

Edler - $6,000,000
Sutter - $4,375,000
Pearson - $3,750,000
Baertschi - $3,366,000
Luongo - $3,033,000
Benn - $2,000,000
Spooner - $1,000,000

$24,000,000 total
Two years left on the Luongo penalty...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:40 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:48 am So what current contracts are expiring after this season? I got

Edler - $6,000,000
Sutter - $4,375,000
Pearson - $3,750,000
Baertschi - $3,366,000
Luongo - $3,033,000
Benn - $2,000,000
Spooner - $1,000,000

$24,000,000 total
Two years left on the Luongo penalty...
So the same years as Loui, Roussel and Beagle.

It seems to me, the Canucks are in not that bad of a cap mess when you factor in the core age of the group moving forward. Within 2 years the shit pile of bad contracts is gone. It would be a disaster if the window to win is now and in the closing stages when in fact it’s just beginning to creep open

So all these bad contracts were truly replacement players while building the young core. Benning is a genius, Doc.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:04 pm So all these bad contracts were truly replacement players while building the young core. Benning is a genius, Doc.
Absolutely. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:38 am You have to bring Edler back. Still the best all situations D man on the team. All the others can walk, ditto for 2022. Remember in 2023, not only Miller is a UFA, but so is the captain.

I’m wondering when Travis Green will be extended.
I think Schmidt might be our best all around guy now.

But you bring Edler back on 1 year deals at 1.5 or less per year.

And year, after the playoffs , Green has earned an extension. Get it done to shut the ball lickers up.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:38 am You have to bring Edler back. Still the best all situations D man on the team. All the others can walk, ditto for 2022. Remember in 2023, not only Miller is a UFA, but so is the captain.

I’m wondering when Travis Green will be extended.
Absolutely, any Cup contender would love to have Edler, but yeah we should be keeping eagle till he's about 38 and or retire a Canuck, he's been a consistent shot block and hit leader on top of being a superb #2 dman while logging 25+ min TOI, while playing top penalty kill and powerplay minutes, the entire defense kind of hits the fan when he goes down. Hughes will help, but he can't replicate what the rugged Edler brings defensively.

How many rumours were there of other teams wanting to trade for Alexander Edler, he brings so many traits to help the team win & likely will sign 2-3 year deals at around $4-5M AAV after Seattle picks a player in the summer.

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:00 pm I think Schmidt might be our best all around guy now.

But you bring Edler back on 1 year deals at 1.5 or less per year.
LOL sheesh, that's old school Mëds hating on edler levels.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Steady Eddy has earned the right to be in control of his own destiny. Too bad for him he wont be looking at an optimum situation for himself.

Timing sucks. Same for everyone but you admire a player that totally dedicated himself to one team and has always been absolutely professional

about it. Over the years, has had the good fortune to be paired up with some good partners but never bitched about being saddled with crappy ones.

Even at his age, worth a good 2.5 to 2.8 per, for two years, minimum.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Micky wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:31 pm Steady Eddy has earned the right to be in control of his own destiny. Too bad for him he wont be looking at an optimum situation for himself.

Timing sucks. Same for everyone but you admire a player that totally dedicated himself to one team and has always been absolutely professional

about it. Over the years, has had the good fortune to be paired up with some good partners but never bitched about being saddled with crappy ones.
He got one, $6M per for a couple years, a nice tidy sum, he's been a steady #2 (a assistant to the regional manager type), an awesome Canuck soldier and will be rewarded as such.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Guys, Edler's next contract is a 35+ one.

Meaning he can have a lower base salary plus bonuses.

If his play is good enough he'll trigger bonuses.

No doubt something fair for both sides can be worked out...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:37 pm assistant to the regional manager
:lol:

I see what you did there

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:31 pm Steady Eddy has earned the right to be in control of his own destiny.
And this is where fans emotions get in the way of hockey being a business.

The only thing a player earns is the right for teams to bid on their skill sets, and that price is determined by market value based off results and intangibles. As a fan, we hope he stays for the right salary, but if the player wants more money (or term) than his play/skill set/intangibles deserves, the team must move on from the player (See Tanev and Markstrom). If the team decides it will be better without the player, perhaps needs culture change or roster space, the team must move on from the player (see Chara).

Only in the case of an exceptional player should the player ever be in charge of their destiny (see Sedins/Yzerman), and even then, it should only happen once in a generation as it’s usually better for the team to recoup assets if possible (Gretzky).

You can’t build a successful franchise if every player is considered an exception. Winning the cup is war. Players are all soldiers with a role, and by definition, soldiers are expendable.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Eddy married into Vancouver and the canucks. He will never go anywhere and will sign team friendly deals til hes done. Hes moving onto one year contracts from now on

Mrs Edler has his balls in a smaller jar than The Beave does with Rummys shriveling berries
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:28 am Eddy married into Vancouver and the canucks. He will never go anywhere and will sign team friendly deals til hes done. Hes moving onto one year contracts from now on

Mrs Edler has his balls in a smaller jar than The Beave does with Rummys shriveling berries
All true but he ain’t signing for 1.5 million or 2.8 or whatever other asinine number I saw . He’s still a quality hockey player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Elder is on the downward spiral. Chara his ass.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:26 am Elder is on the downward spiral. Chara his ass.
I’m all for gonging him once there is an internal replacement. To get a younger version of Edler on the trade market would be a fortune. These guys never get to UFA and if they do they are looking for a massive payday. The man still chews up the toughest ice time on the team and does it well. One year deals at a time until then.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”