Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:16 pm FA always has his back up plan.

Change jerseys.

I have it on good behind the scenes knowledge that once the jerseys start being thrown on the ice and "sell the team" is again chanted in the concourse(s) he's going to the black rink and skate to (re)accrue some lost love....

..actually..

...fans should start up a sell the team chant at every home game henceforth.

Where's George when you need him?

Still alive?
He's 78 years old now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krazy_George_Henderson

Maybe one of his grandkids? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:23 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:42 pm Where we are screwed is in the work of Benning on our blueline because both OEL and Myers will cost to move, fortunately we only need to move Myers.
Myers won't cost to move after July 1st....
Where we are really screwed is replacing them (well i guess replacing Myers as no one will take OELs contract) No one is trading a top pairing RHD.
Plus Schenn will have to be replaced soon as well. So thats 2 top 4 RHD. Signing legit top 4 UFA's is the only quick-fix & there would have to be a shitload of salary cleared for that to happen if there are even any available to the Canucks. Trading all those second round picks has come back to
haunt the club big-time.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The problem was, is, and will always be much more Mr Aquilini than Benning, Rutherford or whoever comes along in the future. Mr Aquilini doesn't know how to win but insists on setting the agenda for the team every year which is always to try to get into the playoffs and mortgaging whatever pieces of the future are deemed necessary in the attempt along the way. When that inevitably fails, time to reset and do it all over again. Rinse and repeat. No president or general manger will ever be given the space to build a competitive team.
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I can live with OEL, we've had hundreds of worse dmen over the years, at least he's on pace for 4 goals, 33 assists, 37pts if he plays a full season.

And he knows how to get under opponents skin at times, plus when he gets top unit powerplay time, he knows how to shoot the puck on net, better than our QB Hughes, who is our Adam Oates on D...it's just the classic Canucks conundrum the past 8 years, OEL is overpaid by a few mill.

Myers with only 1 year left on his contract and a low, low salary next season ($1M) is much easier to trade to a team needing grit/sandpaper with a natural right-handed dman.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

To move this from the Around the League thread, I agree with Arbour you don’t just jettison out your only two big forwards in the top 9. This team is small. On D and up front. Bo and Pat Morris took a calculated gamble that looks like it will pay some serious dividends. I think this deal could have been signed in the summer for a number starting with 7 annually. Now there’s no chance of that happening. The number will start with an 8 +. Rutherford and Allvin look like as good of poker players as Jowls.

The thing to keep in mind is Petey is up after next season. That deal needs to be signed after this season. Start getting out in front of things instead of “we wan out of time”. That deal is a minimum of 10 x 8. Thing is I have to wonder how many of these players want to stay here long term. The team has been a garbage fire for most of the last ten years. Bo has almost exclusively watched the playoffs on tv for 80% of his career.

Much to the rage of the Chef who said Bo is no better than Nuge and shouldn’t get a nickel more, he will get substantially more than 5.1 million a year.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bo is not complete enough of a centre for me to throw over $8 million to long term. A big contract on Bo could have some serious precautions. He’s exactly the type of player on a bloated contract whose game will decline early in the beginning of his 30’s, maybe sooner
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:43 pm The problem was, is, and will always be much more Mr Aquilini than Benning, Rutherford or whoever comes along in the future. Mr Aquilini doesn't know how to win but insists on setting the agenda for the team every year which is always to try to get into the playoffs and mortgaging whatever pieces of the future are deemed necessary in the attempt along the way. When that inevitably fails, time to reset and do it all over again. Rinse and repeat. No president or general manger will ever be given the space to build a competitive team.
True words, Megs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Extend Petterson on July 1. 8 years at 84. Does that get it done? Mëds…. your thoughts? I’d go to 88. Kid will be a top 10 player. Just growing into the force he can be.

This thing still has time to be built around the core 3. Need to make some difficult but also correct decisions coming up. Cap space is so valuable in this gummed up market. Might not be a bad idea to sell some beads and furs for Pennie’s on the dollar to gain some breathing room. They need to shake up that room by summer at latest. Preferably earlier.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Pettersson is going to be a rich pipecleaner. I dunno how he looked in the 1st and 2nd last night but what I saw in the 3rd was the best I think I've seen him play....Mario like almost
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Petey just turned 24 and Hughes just turned 23. If we are ever going to win the cup they need to add to that age area cause this won’t happen overnight. Petey and Hughes are your future leaders of this team, the building blocks for the cup starts with those two, the rest are moveable on the market, IMO. Kuzmenko is a year younger than Horvat you keep him as he and Petey have great chemistry. Boeser gets a load of grief but he’s 2 years younger than Bo and fits in well with the age of this retool I’m proposing plus Petey and Boeser are buddies. You obviously keep Hoglander (another Petey buddy) and Podkolzin who is a Hoagie, Mikheyev, Kuz and Petey buddy as well. Move old man Horvat and Miller and make this Petey and Hughes team. The chemistry in the room will vastly improve!
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

:hmmm: As soon as Horvat goes, Petey gets the C. No question.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:32 am :hmmm: As soon as Horvat goes, Petey gets the C. No question.
I believe there is an underlying power struggle between 3 factions in the room which is why we are having the season we are having. Factions :

1. Horvat
2. Miller
3. Petey

3 very strong personalities. We need to break this up and give this team to Petey. Now look at the rest of the players and who do they align with:

- Kuzmenko aligns Mikheyev and Podkolzin with Petey
- Mikheyev aligns with Kuzmenko and Podkolzin
- Hoglander aligns with Petey and Podkolzin
- Podkolzin aligns with Mikheyev, Kuz, Petey, Hoagie
- Boeser is Petey’s buddy
- And Hughes and Demko align with anyone

Are you now seeing the tectonic shift in the alignment. Where the heart of the room should be? It’s clear as mud
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:44 am
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:32 am :hmmm: As soon as Horvat goes, Petey gets the C. No question.
I believe there is an underlying power struggle between 3 factions in the room which is why we are having the season we are having. Factions :

1. Horvat
2. Miller
3. Petey

3 very strong personalities. We need to break this up and give this team to Petey.
This is what I've been thinking as well. There might not be an open conflict, but there is a struggle for leadership and somehow it's affecting the play on the ice.

I don't agree the part about keeping Petey's buddies. If Petey really wants to win, he only cares about keeping good players who are buying in. If Horvat is going for the max contract he's not buying in. Miller's contract was not outrageous. He's buying in.
Last edited by 5thhorseman on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Chef aligns with Rosie Rottencrotch
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The Chef does lines off Rosie Rottencrotch?